Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Character Actors

CaveGirl

Character Actors

I've always been way more into the background players in films, who give the atmosphere believability.

Without them, where would the film be? Just like a good hamburger needs a bun, a pickle and some condiments a film needs a supporting cast to make it live.

Herewith are some of my favorite and a bit unsung heroes, who have not as yet even made it to a TCM short that praises character actors, and I would like to hear about some of your faves.

In the shall we say elderly man category, I've always loved the wonderful Harry Davenport, also H.B. Warner, Henry Stephenson and Ernest Truex.

For society dames or the town buttinsky who can beat Norma Varden, Jessie Royce Landis, Mary Boland, Florence Bates, and Maude Eburne.

Hot to trot chorines should always include Veda Ann Borg, Barbara Nichols and Toby Wing.

Not being a nationalist, I appreciate the contributions to film of those from other cultures such as Peter Lorre, Una O'Connor, Turhan Bey, Ethel Griffies, Roland Young, Esther Minciotti, Fritz Feld, Olga Baclanova and Vladimir Sokoloff and Louis Jean Heydt.

You always need a heavy and I dig Henry Daniell, George Zucco, Jack Lambert and for females danger is personified by the likes of Hillary Brooke, Gale Sondergaard, Doris Dowling and Claire Trevor.

Honorary favorite though she was just an extra...Bess Flowers! The number of films she appeared in is amazing. You may remember her at the end of "All About Eve" congratulating Eve on her Sarah Siddons' award at the banquet.

Your turn...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings