Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gravity (2013)

Kid Dabb

With a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 94%, the reviews are all about 3D, special effects, camera work, and direction. It seems as if the 21st Century has brought us to the point in film making where good stories are no longer a necessity, nor wanted in the first place. I cannot say either way as I have not seen this yet.

A possible nomination is something to look forward to. My thoughts on this are confined by my perceived images of how this film plays out within such a confined scenario. I can't get past the earlier film *Marooned* which, except for it's Academy Award for Visual Effects, was certainly not Oscar material. Judging from the reviews I've read, *Gravity* could well result in the same, singular award.

This won't prevent me from watching *Gravity* when I get the chance. If past experience has taught me anything, it's that many films are often not what I would believe them to be, going by previews and trailers - as I've conjured up in my mind.

>joefilmone said: ..there is classic Ray Bradybury short story in which a astronaut is falling towards the earth and he wonders if his life had any meaning.

Now that has some scope, but if *Gravity* drifts off into dozens of flashbacks as they rewind their personal and professional lives; what got them there; personal relationships.. that's a different movie altogether. Assuming the majority of Gravity will take place in Earth orbit, I'd like to see how the director will keep me interested in actors who will not have a conventional relationship - one they may have had on Earth, unencumbered by spacesuits and equipment.

You know, the more I think about it, I sure miss seeing movies like this as a pre-teen. Seems all I can do these days is critique them based on what I feel they should be, and not on how cool they are. I used to be amazed at spaceship rockets dangling from black threads, wabbling about as their tails burned like a 4th of July sparkler.

• 1 month later...

I recommend this film. There are no flashbacks to mar the story, only a necessary amount of back story to fill out the character. I brings film making into a whole new dimension, (clich?.) Sandra Bullock gives the best performance of her career, nothing is cutsy or forced.

I saw it in 3D which is kind of cool but not necessary. I'm sorry I don't have enough Roger Ebert in me to explain it better. It was worth leaving my apartment.

> It brings film making into a whole new dimension..

This seems to be the biggest draw - that whole new dimension.

Sandra Bullock's performance is getting a lot of attention with (premature?)

recommendations for Oscar.

>There are no flashbacks to mar the story, only a necessary amount of back story to fill out the character.

That's good to know. I was worried there may be too much back-story

encroaching upon the main theme.

All of the backstory comes by way of conversation. No flashbacks. I feel it deserves at the very least an Oscar nod for sound, effects and cinematography. One might actually get the impression that it WAS shot while in orbit. The director seemed to concentrate on realistic technical scale rather than sensationalism, although there is a bit of it in this film. The occurances that bring about the situation Clooney and Bullock finds themselves in ARE possible, but not likely probable, and make it more of a "what if" situation. I don't know if it could be called Bullock's "finest" performance, but she does sell her character very well. I recommend it.

Sepiatone

• 3 weeks later...

Should have looked here first as I posted on Film & Film Makers about it. I saw this sleeper 2 weeks ago. Don't pay extra for 3-D. Not enough 3-D style visual effects to keep you awake anyway. It's a CGI sight fest and it appears to have worked with audiences. As to flash backs: it may have helped if there were some because after 3/4 of an hour of Julia's rantings I didn't care about what she was saying any more.