Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Long Haul

thegreatman

Pretty good film. If that wasn't Jessica Rabbit as a blonde I don't know who was. WOW!! As a long time off roader and 4x4 explorer in the Four Corners area I can empathize with their trek over the mountains and across the river in the truck. Been there and Done that in Utah and Colorado and Arizona but my lovely wife never wore high heels or dresses. Would love to explore in real life where they filmed that sequence.

"Land Rovers all over the place": One thing we half mad (maybe completely mad) Land Rover owners do when watching movies is always going into a rapture of giddiness whenever we seen one on the silver screen. Owning an old Land Rover is definitely a Fatal Attraction of absurdity and bedevilment.

Hi, rover,

I thought you might be a Land Rover fan. When I was a kid growing up in the 1950s, I used to see them in most of the African safari movies, and they were the old kind with the recessed radiator.

Then I went to visit Mayan ruins in Yucatan in 1964, and the fancy jungle hotel I stayed at near Uxmal had one of those old kind, gray of course, and with a recessed radiator. :) I went with some other guests on a ride through the bush, and we passed many other Mayan ruins that had never been restored. We came upon a group of Mexican hunters carrying old shotguns. They were deer hunting. I've remembered that wonderful trip for the past 50 years. :)

Sounds like a great trip you took. I always remember the Rovers on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom which I watched religiously growing up. That fascination carried over to my middle age when I bought a used Discovery in which I have taken my own miniSafaris in the Four Corners area.

thegreatman wrote:

>The movie was great on vhs but sony cropped it for tcm.

>W-I-D-E-S-C-R-E-E-N you got less movie.

TCM presented it in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, and it looked fine. Unfortunately, the monthly schedule didn't list it as letterboxed, so I recorded it from TCM SD. Fine film, though.

It's always good when you come across an interesting little film like The Long Haul, which you've never heard of.

A '50s British attempt at street realism, with noone, including its leading man, any kind of saint. But Victor Mature succumbing to the temptation of Diana Dors only made his characterization more believable, as far as I was concerned. He's still an essentially decent, honourable guy for whom the audience wants to cheer.

Furthermore, I liked the dramatic touches in the film's musical score, particularly under its opening titles.

The Long Haul might not be anyone's idea of a classic but it is a more than decent little effort.