Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bhryun

Younger Generations and Classic Films

I think it's too bad that today's generation of kids(at least most of them) don't care about the classics. I'm 14 and I love them! Whenever I talk about the movies, my friends have no idea what I'm talking about. Do you think this generation of kids should know about these movies? I do.

The younger generation should definitely know about these movies! I am younger myself - I'm in college - and I discovered old movies about 4 years ago - when I was about your age kelsea25. I have found a few others my age who like them, but not many at all. You definitely have to get used to them, but it is worth it!

I'm 20 and I have loved them for many years. My aunt and grandma first introduced me to I Love Lucy when I was 8 years old and then later Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne and others that they liked. I myself discovered the movie My Fair Lady and fell in love with Audrey Hepburn. That was a big step into my loving classic movies but the real door-opener into the even older classics from the 30's ect is when I saw Fred Astaire for the first time. I became crazed to see more of his films and I now say that I've seen more of his movies than movies from any other actor or actress. Now I love just about every classic movie I watch. I'm hooked for life. We're out there, the younger appreiciators. It's just harder to find us young ones, but there are definetly a bunch of us.

Luckypenny84, I also starting getting into older movies with I LOVE LUCY. It's still my favorite TV show today. Casablanca was the movie that really got me to love classics. My dad showed it to me last summer and now I'm hooked. I just wished that my friends cared about them.

I'm 16. Isnt it funny how it seems to have a chain effect. Like I love lucy starting it for yall and for me it was that I love old music so I watched a bing crosby movie (holiday inn) and then fell in love with fred astair and then it went on and on from there and that was 3 years ago.

-phoebe

I was around my young teens when I discovered old movies, started with I Love Lucy ( seems to make Black and White OK, dontcha think? ) Shirley Temple movies, then developed from there. But I had No One but my mom to share it with- and that only sometimes- and the internet was in it's infancy at the time so no websites or chats for me. Good luck- your love for old movies will grow and develop over time- it's great!

My family use to make fun of me cause I love old films.My son (12) will never watch them.OOoo black & white ..No way!(I'm starting to ween him on "leave it to beaver")That he'll watch,but that's it. My neice came over the other night (18yrs.) and I made her watch Bette Davis in "Dark Victory". NOW Bette rocks in her book.She has borrowed "Now Voyager",1963 "The Haunting" w/Julie Harris and "It happened one night".

So now they realize that maybe I'm not crazy for loving old films.Better directors,better acting,better plots.

So don't knock it ,unless you try it.Hopefully I can get those films back from my neice.

I definately think this generation should be introduced to the classics.

I started really watching classics about twelve years ago, however, I have a sister who is fifteen years younger then me and of course I got her into watching the classics as well. She also started with I Love Lucy, Happy Days and shows like the Brady Bunch when she was a little girl.(she still is a little girl in my eyes) These were the only shows I felt were wholesome enough to show her when she was younger and visiting me. Now she is fifteen and I have started to show her the John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart classics. Recently we started watching ALfred Hitchcock together. It is amazing and I love the time I get to spend with her. She really enjoys watching them. It seems watching old classics is 'our special thing' and I love when she gets to come visit me.

She does tell me that the friends she has her age don't watch the same shows but she did get her best girlfriend into watching them with her. Also, for christmas last year I got her some classics to start her own collection.

Jalanna

Old movies are contageous arnt they? I find it's hard not to share the movies you love with the people you know when you love the movies so much.

In just the few years I've been into old movies its amazing all one can learn.

My daughter tells people she was "brought up right" by being brought up with the classics. :-) It makes me proud. heheh And now she introduces her friends to them, too. She loves modern day movies, but also adores all the classics, and not only knows the "standards" but also the wonderful but a little less known actors, like Paul Muni, John Garfield and Margaret Sullivan. There were times when a movie was so great and she was soooo busy (in the way of teens - not, lol) that I literally made her watch something - like I remember, Of Mice and Men. (She loved it). She has thanked me for my persistance and I am so happy that I did persist. Thanks mostly to the wonderful TCM - I'd be so lost without you! Thank you! :-)