Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Characters You Want to Bundle Up & Take Care Of

LonesomePolecat

Uh-huh. Whenever I see "poor ol' " Ava Gardner stuck in Africa all by her lonesome and it takes almost the WHOLE freakin' movie of "Mogambo" before Gable finally wises up and realizes what he's got RIGHT in front of him...well...I've always wanted to "take care of" her during that time.

(...though maybe this wasn't exactly what you meant here, eh LP?!) ;)

Well, I won't ask you how many you've taken care of, but I would love to bundle up Diana Dors and take care of her. She is actually a very good actress, but she is not noted for her acting ability.

And in a Humanitarian way, I'd like to help George Bailey during that time when he was running down the street asking his friends for help and they said they had never heard of him.

That's interesting about bundling up George Bailey as I would have thought you would have picked Gloria Grahame instead.

And I was watching Diana Dors yesterday in that film with Victor Mature and this time, Groucho would not have said the bit about whose you know what's being bigger than the heroine.

Diana was luckily married at one time to Richard Dawson and he did the best WC Fields' impression I've ever seen.

LOL

Yeah, I've been sayin' this very same thing for YEARS now, Mr.R.

I mean could he help it if that old lady in the wheelchair he was tryin' to help lived on the second floor?

(...no, of COURSE not...why blame HIM for her lousy logistics, RIGHT?!) ;)

Actually, to be a little more serious here, I think the first film character that comes to my mind is (what do I call her, she doesn't have a name in the film) is the gal who becomes the 2nd Mrs deWinter in *Rebecca* . She seems so shy, innocent, and helpless in the first half of the film and you wonder what kind of a marriage she got herself into with a moody guy named Max. Joan Fontaine would play a very similar character soon after in another Hitchcock film *Suspicion* and still later in *Jane Eyre* . But *Rebecca* is one of my favorite Hitchcock films so that's the one Joan character I'm sticking with here.

My first thought was James Dean in East of Eden. He looked like a vulnerable kid who needed to be loved and taken care of.

I will also go out on a limb and say I'd love to bundle up and take care of William Holden (in any film...but mostly Sunset Boulevard).

I'll also bundle up and take care of Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront and especially Steetcar Named Desire.

Steve McQueen in the Great Escape - all alone in the solitary confinement....I'll bundle him up and take care of him.

Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke - I would take care of him...anything he wants.

Many excellent choices, but I love hamradio's mention of HOMEWARD BOUND (a movie from my childhood that I love)-- I would love to bundle up all those animals! That's pretty true of most animal characters, though, isn't it?

And it's true that people like James Dean and William Holden always have that effect.

And, yeah, some people we want to bundle up for other reasons :)

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on Sep 20, 2013 4:41 PM

I would have loved to take care of Van Heflin in "Madame Bovary." Emma treated him like crap, and he worshipped her. And then there's Harry Belafonte's Joe in Carmen Jones. Carmen turned a sweet, lovable man into a jealous monster. Also, there is a 90's made for cable movie called "Buried Alive", starring Jennifer Jason Leigh as an adulterous, murderous wife who treats her husband like crap before and after 'killing' him . Her husband happened to be played by the adorable Tim Matheson. I just wanted to reach through the screen and grab him..................

Joan's character in Rebecca is a great choice. Note that there is a scene with Max's close friend caretaker of Max's estate and Joan where he does reach out to her. So while this scene is playing I?m saying to myself ?great, Joan has an ally,, someone that will help her in this situation?, but then the scene ends with him making it clear he was completely under Rebecca?s spell and Joan is crushed.

There are quite a few films where Charles Boyer is emotionally wounded, misunderstood, disappointed and needs Mama (me) to take him in her arms and make it all better. (Not, of course, in Gaslight.)

And Jimmy Stewart again, at the end of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I'm totally with Saunders and her utter anguish at watching him torture himself, knowing how badly he's going to be hurt when he's already been hurt so terribly.

And then of course, there's Rick Blaine. Breaks my heart to watch him cut himself to pieces. But then, he does get to hang out with Claude Rains, so he'll probably be all right.

Yeah, well, while I know the second Mrs. de Winter has to be that little shrinking violet she is because we really wouldn't have much of a story(or a surprise later on) if she weren't that way, I gotta admit every time I watch Fontaine in this thing I DON'T wanna "bundle her up and take care of her"...what I REALLY wanna do is shake her by the shoulders and tell her in as stern a voice as I can muster to not ONLY stand up for herself and stop taking crap from that mean and pretentious old freakin' bitty she's a hired traveling companion of at first, but to ALSO stop takin' crap from that OTHER old mean freakin' bitty of a housekeeper with that ugly mole on her kisser!!!!

LOL

(...and I'm only half kiddin' here!)

Leslie Howard in Of Human Bondage. How could you not feel sorry for him, especially since he loved Bette Davis? Peter O'Toole at the end of Lawrence of Arabia, after he's told to go home. Dana Andrews throughout the Best Years of Our Lives. Also Robert Walker in The Clock, forget about Judy I'd show Robert New York, even though I've never been there.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings