Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oooo, That Chien Andalou

slaytonf

I'm not going to watch it tonight. I've seen it. And once is enough for me (with no apologies to Ms. Susann). Anyone who has pretensions to film-buffery, of course, should see it. I wonder, should it be something someone generally regarded as well-educated be expected to see, as there are works of art they should know about, and books they should have read?

Of course any film buff who has not seen *Un Chien Andalou* should watch it. It is probably the most famous surrealist film there is, made by Louis Bunuel and Salvador Dali. But, anyone who just likes film should watch it, because it is such great fun.

Some friends of mine ran it continuously at their wedding party. They rented the basement of the VFW Hall, took out all the white lights, and replaced them with red and blue. They rented a smoke generator, that covered the floor to a depth of about a foot, so you couldn't see your feet when dancing, but kicked up little clouds of the "smoke," which was really condensed moisture from the air. It was one of the best weddings I have ever been to, and certainly the most surreal. He is Mexican, and she is Polish. Their families provided all the food, and it was great. *Un Chien Andalou* just made it better. I could watch it all day, if I didn't have other things to watch/do... :)

I saw it in Film And Literature class back in 1989, along with Citizen Kane, An Incident At Owl Creek Bridge, The Cabinet Of Dr Calagari, Brazil, Chinatown, and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. (Our teacher told me she made a mistake showing the Steve Martin film.)

Obrien, you just shut your own eye during that scene and all is okay.

And it was just some dead calf's eye though I hope they did not kill it just for the film.

That's hilarious about UCA being shown at a wedding. Probably a better idea than the wedding scene in Freaks.

As for L'Age D'Or...there's that foot fetish thing again.