Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mickey Rooney is 93!

ginnyfan

It appears 90 is the New '80' !

Mickey Rooney has nine children of his own, it seems odd that he would be living with one of his step-children instead of one of his own.

This is also the child of the wife (before she married Rooney) that he is now seperated from, which makes it seem even more bizarre.

Talk about a 'Soap Opera' !

Twink

I should remember that Mickey is in one of my favorite films, *The Bridges At Toko-Ri* , and he plays a very good part in that one. In 1932 , when Mickey was only about 12, he costarred with Tom Mix in *My Pal, The King* . Mickey was the "king" and his aunt was played by my main gal, Noel Francis. I wonder if he would remember anything about that movie and working with her? I have that movie on DVD and I'm sure that TCM played it recently.

Listen. When Mickey goes, it truly WILL be the end of an era. There are really no people in the business today that can encapsulate the multi talent that he has, or many other from "his" time did. There is NO ONE in movies these days that have the same amount of many different talents that Rooney has. Yes, the drumming, piano playing, the dancing and singing, the propensity for both drama AND comedy. That's one of the things I love about that "golden age" of movie making. Not only Rooney, but many other "stars" from that era were multi talented. Yeah, I know, the "studio system" made most of them through relentless training sessions, but there HAD to be something to work with in the beginning. Many others sent to the rigorous training sessions didn't make it, and became stilted in roles that didn't challenge their limits. HEIGHT was Rooney's only REAL challenge, and often his perfomances made you forget about even THAT!

He IS, and always WILL BE truly "one of a kind".

Sepiatone

In MGM: WHEN THE LION ROARS, Mickey's fellow child actor and sometime co-star, Freddie Bartholomew, talked about how Mickey could sing, dance, play any instrument, and make you laugh or cry. Freddie was only slightly exaggerating (given that Mick probably couldn't really play every instrument) -- the guy really could do just about everything as an entertainer.

My favorite Rooney role is undoubtedly Andy Hardy, where his irrepressible nature truly came through, but his deeply felt dramatic acting ability is also on display in films like THE HUMAN COMEDY and NATIONAL VELVET. His singing and dancing are front-and-center in the great musicals he made with Judy, and as someone else pointed out, he really played those instruments on screen -- from tickling the ivories with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra in STRIKE UP THE BAND, to jamming on drums with possibly the greatest jazz musician ever, Louis Armstrong, in THE STRIP. (Apparently, Ava Gardner's newly published autobiography describes how, during their marriage, Mickey would leave her sitting at a nightclub table while he played drums for hours with groups like the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.)

The Motion Picture Academy should, as it did with Irving Thalberg and Jean Hersholt, name a permanent award after the great Mr. Rooney -- perhaps for displaying multiple talents during the course of a career (and not limited to just multi-talented actors -- maybe writer/directors, etc., too). There's no doubt that the man himself would have to be the first -- and most deserving -- recipient of the honor.

Happy (belated) birthday, Mr. Rooney!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings