Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Namu, the Killer Whale?

CaveGirl

Okay, so I accidentally watched this today all because it started and I saw the name of John Anderson in the cast. Astute film fans may remember him from his role in Psycho as the car salesman to Janet Leigh with the line "First time I ever had the customer pressure me" or whatever, but I digress.

So the movie starts and I'm laughing hysterically because there is actually a theme song as sung by Tom Glaser [sp?] celebrating Namu and think how difficult it would be to fit lyrics to the words "Namu, the Killer Whale". Impressive!

Next we see Robert Lansing, an actor I'd forgotten but now realize is quite appealing in a low key, reserved way a lot like Steve McQueen. I also find I've been mispronouncing Namu for years to rhyme with Dam-u when it should have been rhyming with something like Bah-mu as in humbug, with the accent on the second syllable.

The kids in the film seem amateur till I realize this is due to eons of watching phoney-baloney, overcoached Hollywood replicant children. I settle down to watch Namu, who has lost his mate and is bereft in a seeming sea of tears, which just happens to be in Lansing's backyard, behind his trailer. Opposing all tradition as a marine biologist or whatever and the vendetta by the fearful townspeople, Lansing begins recording Namu's nightly keening, begins feeding him by hand and riding on his tail finally proving that Namu is not the monster people presumed. Actually I was kind of touched and got teary a few times. Finis! Or should I just say Fin?

Oh, for Noir fans the film is an Apres-Noir since it was shot in 1966 and Lansing has multiple Venetian blinds in his trailer which cast multifarious shadow effects. Name another film with noirish tendencies and a sea monster that you like if you are so inclined...

I actually went to see it at the movies with my siblings when we were kids. At the time as a kid I thought it was kinda nice like a lot of Ivan Tors' nature fare. Lansing's trailer incidently is a new moon not unlike Tacy and Nicky's in The Long, Long Trailer and I hate that ballad. I don't know why I just hate it...*"Live and let live, let nature be your teacher. Respect the lives of your fellow creatures. Remember, remember and whatever you do and always remember the killer whale namu"* Oh boy. :)

What about *The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues* ?

It's deliciously bad, and the beach house where the mad-but-doesn't -mean -to -hurt anyone-I- can't- help- it -if -my- invention-created -a -rampaging-sea monster scientist and his nubile daughter live has Venetian blinds. Or maybe they're just drapes, but the beach house resembles that hotel room in *The Blue Dahlia* , so that should count for something.

vlcsnap-2013-08-20-21h30m28s250.jpeg

Actually, I think this baby looks a little like the Merman King and his followers who get turned into these shrimp-like floaty creatures affixed to the ocean floor by the evil Sea Witch in "The LIttle Mermaid" (the Disney version.)

Well as usual Miss Wonderful, you rule with your nod to the beach house.

Any film with a beach house, like the ones in the Chandler tale or even something by James M. Cain is fab.

Also I love mad scientist tales and the creature is so cute what with his cute little wet suit look with scales.

Thanks also, Flyback for a very sage comment!

Wait! Do I see venetian blinds in the background behind the seated Tim Holt in this still from "The Monster that Challenged the World"? Why, I do believe I DO. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjOTeztOudCUjByB7-JrN

Actually not a bad flick at all...for what it is anyway. Giant prehistoric mollusks create havoc in and around California's Salton Sea after an earthquake awakens them from their deep-water sleep.

(...and it features the lovely Audrey Dalton to boot, so what's not to like?!)

5234842_orig.png

I love The Giant Claw. How can you not love a movie featuring a giant ("big as a battleship") google-eyed vulture with a mohawk who comes from an antimatter galaxy sporting an antimatter shield, that somehow manages to not blow up immediately upon encountering the matter of our galaxy, AND terrorizes the entire planet?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings