Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Long, Long Trailer

FlyBackTransformer

That mountain road that Lucy and Desi drive on is Whitney Portal Road (the road Bogie races up in the end of *High Sierra* ) http://travelwithwhippets.blogspot.com/ --- I can't seem to get directly to the page, you have to go to past blogs list and then go down list to find Whitney Portal Road.

Edited by: mrroberts on Sep 28, 2013 3:57 PM

Edited by: mrroberts on Sep 28, 2013 4:01 PM

Twinkeee, I love this movie. I saw it in the theater with my family when it first came out, and I love all of it. So did my folks.

We lived in Montana a while around 1948 and 49, way up in the mountains, and we had to haul a long luggage trailer in the mountains, and we moved around a lot, and this film is so true. There was one brief time we had to live in a small trailer for a few weeks.

Mom and dad were just like this couple, and then I was added to the mix, and it was an exasperating experience for all of us. So this movie got everything just right.

Oh, and in our real-life situation, my dad and I were the rock collectors, and my mother thought it was so stupid of us to be hauling rocks around. :)

That thing about "the trailer brakes first" is true. If you don't use them first, and hit the car brakes first, the heavy trailer will continue to push the car and the whole rig will not stop, and sometimes it would jack-knife.

OMG, what a coincidense that you also collected rocks, just like in the movie! Not exactly a 'common' thing to collect.

I envy you for having had that experience, all that traveling and awesome scenery, especially in Montana! :)

I too Love this movie where everything that could possibly go wrong, does ! Just as in real life. :)

Twink

We visited one place, around 1949, called The Devil's Tower, in Wyoming. That large volcanic cone is used in the movie CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. We picked up a big granite rock from that place, and later my dad gave it to my grandmother to keep for us in her back yard. She decided to use it in a small dishpan, as a covering for her water well in a rural Southern community. So, I got to visit our Devils Tower rock every time we visited my grandparents.

And then there was some petrified wood we picked up in Arizona, and some kind of heavy round rocks we got in Montana, and some black lava we got west of Albuquerque, near Grants, NM. I don?t know where all those rocks are today. :)

These scenes of Lucy and Riky going up the mountain road is just great. Great acting, directing, photography, and editing. :)

>I too Love this movie where everything that could possibly go wrong, does ! Just as in real life

Yes, even the stuff about the upside-down map if you are driving South, :) and the car stuck in the mud, and the load shifting in the trailer, and all sorts of stuff.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings