Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please help im new here...

Hello my name is nick, i just requested a film to be re-aired on TCM. the film is Glory (1956) is there Something here at the website that could notify me when TCM decides to air it? Also... There is a Haley Mills classic titled The Trouble With Spring. Does anyone know if that film is even available to be shown ANYWHERE? It's like the film does not even exsist. Thanks in advance for any help God bless.

God bless you too, adomono. And welcome to the boards.

If you look up on the top of the web page, just to the right of the TCM logo, you'll notice the word "Schedule". Check in from time to time to see if it's listed. I don't know if TCM ever aired the films you mentioned. Some of the more prolific members here could tell you that. Heck, they may not even be AVAILABLE to TCM for some wonky legal reason or something.

Sepiatone

Go to the TCM Home Page. Type in Glory. You will get a Search Results page. Click on the film you want. The Web page for the movie will show up. If it is scheduled, you will see an air date under it. Also, there will be an option to be sent a reminder for it. If it is not scheduled, check the Web page for the movie about once a month to see if it has been.

Example of search results page:

http://www.tcm.com/search/?text=Glory&type=allDb

Example of a movie's Web page:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/76506/Glory/

And, hey!, looks like it will play this December, 5!

You have to be careful here. There is more than one movie titled *Glory* . The movie TCM has scheduled in December is the civil war movie (an excellent film too) but that's not the film our new member is looking for. The older film is a completely different story.

welcome!

TCM is undergoing an update of their site and it will take awhile until most things are working like they're supposed to. (if past updates are a good measure, this may take a long while; and for some things, they will never work right.)

anyway, i used the "SEARCH" box at the top of the page for The Truth About Spring. of course, i got an error message about that attempt (i guess because of the site update snafu). so, i pecked around till i found a link to The Truth About Spring in the TCM database.

now the way i check to see if a movie has EVER played on TCM is to check the left column and see if there are any ARTICLES that can be accessed. if there are none, then TCM has never aired a broadcast of this movie, and that appears to be the case with The Truth About Spring. if there is at least one article (say a full page or two), then the movie has been on the TCM schedule at some point in time. (of course, that doesn't mean that TCM has the current right to play the movie.) anyway, it's my understanding that checking for an article NEVER produces a false positive (an article = a showing or no article = no showing).

now a couple of years ago TCM had the rights to the Live Action movies (no 'toons) from the Disney company, and TCM played the Haley Mills Disney films many times while they had access to those movies. however, Spring was not a Disney movie and wasn't shown. nor were some i wanted to see, like Whistle Down the Wind. TCM blocked a birthday tribute to Mills, but it was the Disney movies all over again.

so anyway, there's your first tip. welcome aboard, and don't get seasick!

>mrroberts

> that's not the film our new member is looking for

A fine example of seeing what you are looking for. There is still a good chance of seeing the '56 movie, either on a Margaret O'Brien day, or a racehorse day, or a Walter Brennan day.

Wow thanks to you all!! Now at least i know a little more than i did before. I will try to keep my eye out for the 1956 version of Glory ( the one airing on Dec 5th is the one where Denzel Washington won an Oscar for his brilliant performance) unfortunatly the film THE TRUTH ABOUT SPRING seems like it is a long lost treasure & may NEVER see the light of day again. Thanks again for all the help GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Welcome to the TCM Boards.

The first time I watched Glory was in the mid-nineties, if I am not mistaken. My memory is kind of fuzzy, but I think it was a tribute to Margaret O'Brien.

I taped the film and several other ones with her in them.

By the way the film was a beautiful letterboxed print.

Just keep checking the schedule for a future showing.

I was on Glory (1956)'s overview page here reading the reviews. Leonard Maltin (professional reviewer) says it's 'bland'. Common folk (that's us.. forgive me) appreciate the family enter - tainment and heartwarming story with comments like:

----------------------------------------------

"I enjoy these older movies. They are filled with the high hopes, dreams and expectations, unlike the new movies depicting only violence, lust and bloodletting."

"This is one of the truly family friendly movies that are so scarce today. The story is both entertaining and amazingly accurate as a depiction of Thoroughbred racing in the 1950"s. We need to find more of these gems and make them available on home video for families that are more careful of what their children see on tv."

"This is a very entertaining movie. Walter Brennan verbally spars with different members of the cast. just a fun movie that needs to be released for the home movie fans."

----------------------------------------------

There seem to be few, if any, critics who can admit to

feeling good about watching a film like this.

allthumbs, thanks for the fantastic tip about looking for an ARTICLE to see if a film has ever aired on TCM.

Based on the lack of an artcle, BLUE DENIM (with Brandon DeWilde) has apparently never aired on TCM. However, both SHANE and HUD apparently have been shown. HUD must have been shown as an "Essential" at some point because there's a "Why HUD is Essential" article.

I also see no article for WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND with Hayley Mills. I've been wanting to see this movie for some time, but it's not available on DVD, at least not in Region 1 (North America).

> allthumbs wrote:

> it's my understanding that checking for an article NEVER produces a false positive (an article = a showing or no article = no showing).

The: "no false positive" factor is that if there is an article in the database then the movie has been shown. This is because the articles are written in support of the airing and are not created as a feature of the database.

It is sad to say that the test can produce false negatives in that the absence of an article does not truly indicate that the movie was never shown. It means only that the movie was not part of a schedule highlight which warranted an article be written to promote the airing.

Many B movies and shorts do not have an accompanying article because their airings were not considered sufficiently important.

I believe the test of: "article = shown" was discovered within the TCM Programming Challenge. Entrants needed a way to determine if a movie had been shown because a rule states that any movie which has been shown previously can be used in an entry regardless of its studio of origin. Movies outside of the original Turner library and which have never been shown on TCM must be counted as premieres and there is a limit on the number of premieres within an entry.

thanks for correcting me, Sansfin.

my statement "no article=no showing" was overstating the importance of "no article". there are many instances when there's "no article" but several (or at least one) showing.

so, to restate matters: if there's an article, then there has been at least one showing. (and that's it!)

other combinations of article/no article coupled with showing/no showing may or may not be true.

i'm back again with an observation about "false negatives".

i checked the database pages for the movies being shown Thur, Fri, Sat-Oct 3, 4, 5. EVERY movie on the schedule has an article that provides some more background about the flik that will be shown.

i can see the absolute truth that "no article" may or may not mean a showing. but if we are talking about "likely", then "no article" means it's likely that there hasn't been a showing. it appears that many articles in support of airings have been written, and only B-movie/obscure films haven't reached a threshold of importance high enough to qualify for an article. so, using the ARTICLE (either yes or no) method is simple for a "yes" answer. (there was a showing.) if the answer is "no" an evaluation the kind of movie it is and its notoriety should be a consideration before a conclusion is formed.

in the cases of the two movies mentioned about Haley Mills, The Truth About Spring and Whistle Down Wind there is no article about either one, and i draw the conclusion neither has been shown. (but that still leaves open the very remote chance that either might have been shown; and if either was shown, it just happened that no article was written for either movie.)

Yes, allthumbs, while there may be some instances of "false negatives" (for example ADVENTURES OF KITTY O'DAY aired on Saturday and has no article), I don't think there would be any "false positives." Of course, just because a movie was shown once does not mean that it will be shown again.