Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone having trouble with reception tonite?

slaytonf

I did earlier tonight on CNN but it was only After I had put the program on Pause. When I resumed Play, I experienced both freeze frame and sound interuption .

Since I normally do not have that problem, I thought for sure there was something wrong with my TV !

Twink

FCDobbs wrote:

>If you put a live program on Pause, then you must have a DVR, and when you take it off of Pause, then you are watching a recording of the program that was recorded when you had it on Pause.

>

>Isn't that correct?

Fred, most of the time one is watching from the hard drive, with a 6 second delay from the transmission. When you change to a new channel, you are watching live. But, if you pause, then catch up with the "Live" button, or by fast forwarding, you are watching with the 6 second delay. So, if one's HDD is having problems, it will happen often, and on all channels.

With my Comcast remote, I can skip ahead 15 sec., or 5 min., or hit the "Live" button. With any of those commands, it is not uncommon to see momentary picture breakup, or momentary out-of-sync sound, but it doesn't happen that often, and resolves in a second or two. If one gets a bad picture from a prerecorded film on the HDD, it may have been like that in the original transmission. It's hard to tell.

Over 99% of the time, reception problems are at the cable company's end. If it was TCM's fault, these boards would probably implode because of all the complaints.

At lot of folks think that the signal leaves TCM and goes right to your TV, like over-the-air channels,but that's not true. Cable companies have to pick up those signals, often from third-party satellite dish "farms" and retransmit them, by fiber-optics or other means to different cities.so there's more chance of a problem.

Even the satellite services like DirecTV retransmit. They pick the signal up, from the satellite that TCM leases, at their main receiving location in Colorado then sends it up to other satellites where the dish on your roof picks it up.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings