Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Samantha Eggar

sfpcc2

Tonight TCM is honoring British actress Samantha Eggar by showing 5 of her films:

Walk Don't Run (Cary Grant last film)

Dr Doolittle

The Collector (a very creepy film for which she was nominated for an Oscar)

Dr Crippen

Return From The Ashes (I know nothing about the last two films.)

After the 70's she did not seem to do that much, (small parts in the Exterminator, Dark Horse, and The Astronaut's Wife.) I'm thinking of taping one of the last 2 films. I haven't heard good things about Walk Don't Run. Maybe they should have shown The Molly Maguires or the Light At The End Of The World, (but definitely not the Exterminator.)

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Oct 3, 2013 11:15 AM

>sfpcc2:

>I haven't heard good things about Walk Don't Run.

Perhaps because there aren't any to say about it. It's a remake of The More the Merrier (as you may likely know). Watch that.

Return From the Ashes sounds promising. Maximilian Schell always puts in a good performance.

She is one of my favorite understated actresses. She seems to me at all times to be a little more worldly and not quite as cute as Audrey Hepburn but that is whom I am most likely to use as a comparison.

I like: *Walk, Don't Run* (1966) very much. I find the humor in: *The More the Merrier* (1943) to be much more abrasive and Charles Coburn is less endearing than Cary Grant.

I very much wish they'd shown Cronenberg's 'The Brood' (1979) which has her in one of her most unforgettable roles. Once you've seen her in that, you will always remember it.

As for tonight, we in Canada won't be seeing Dr. Crippen due to rights issues. We get 'The Walking Stick' (1970) instead.

I noticed that too. Did anyone make it through Dr. Doolittle? (LOL) Never managed to see that one. Whatever happened to her? She seemed on the verge of stardom in the mid-60s, but faded out quickly........

Very beautiful actress. I remember reading The Collector when I was about 13 or14 and it scared the beegeebees out of me. When I saw the film, it didn't disappoint. I thought she was great in the film. Watched *Return From the Ashes* this morning, I've always liked that film very much.

Samatha Eggar was great as the victim in *The Collector* and she was great as a cruel, selfish villian in *Return of the Ashes* . Really good actress, too bad she wasn't in more films.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings