Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The first finger?

slaytonf

Sorry the only fingers I really like are those in The Beast with Five Fingers...

Shouldn't you be focussing on Mabuse's eyes, which were scary as h_ll during that one scene in the film last night?

Edited by: CaveGirl on Oct 5, 2013 3:26 PM

I nearly fell out of my chair when I first saw this scene on TCM years ago. Also, there were a few strong curse words uttered by Armstrong in this film.

This is a very classic old film that should be shown in prime time at least once a year. With a great cast.

Yes, I have. And, unlike words, there is no dictionary, or I know of none, that records hand gestures and other physical antics and their meanings. The only derivation for the finger I can imagine is a kind of resemblance, anatomical-wise.

Well, if all that is true, then the next time I "flip the bird", I probably should raise my pinkie? ;)

Or is that too much info?

Incidentally, the place my wife gets her hair done has a parakeet in a cage in the shop. When I asked what the bird's name was, the shopowner replied, "His name is FLIP." Flip, the bird! Clever...

Sepiatone

• 1 year later...

It's not the first finger, but it's a good finger:

rmv9zo.png

Ace of Aces (1933).

Reminds me of a GAME my buddy's parent's used to play at their annual Halloween costume parties( at least, they played it ONCE).

There'd be a big drawing of the hind end of a cow on the wall(my buddy drew it . Good artist, he was). Each party guest would be taken down the basement and blindfolded.  They were told the game was "Point The Tail On The Cow".  and due to the concern for injury, they refused to make up a "tail" for the cow and use a pin, and just let the blindfolded person touch a spot on the poster for where the "tail" goes, and an "x" would be placed there, and the next person would be led downstairs.  But----

What WOULD happen, is when the blindfolded person is spun around and pointed in the direction of the cow picture, they'd inch foreward with their FINGER pointed out, and just inches BEFORE they got to the picture, my buddy's Dad would place a jar of WARM FACE CREAM in front of them, and their finger would squish into the warm, thick substance, and give them the impression that they DID INDEED "center in" on the cow!  :D

It WAS a BIG HIT!

Also----Over the years, I've seen the INDEX FINGER and PINKY held up, like you've seen at rock concerts(only with the THUMB hidden) held up as to mean the SAME THING the MIDDLE FINGER getting held up is supposed to mean!

Sepiatone

Reminds me of a GAME my buddy's parent's used to play at their annual Halloween costume parties( at least, they played it ONCE).

There'd be a big drawing of the hind end of a cow on the wall(my buddy drew it . Good artist, he was). Each party guest would be taken down the basement and blindfolded.  They were told the game was "Point The Tail On The Cow".  and due to the concern for injury, they refused to make up a "tail" for the cow and use a pin, and just let the blindfolded person touch a spot on the poster for where the "tail" goes, and an "x" would be placed there, and the next person would be led downstairs.  But----

What WOULD happen, is when the blindfolded person is spun around and pointed in the direction of the cow picture, they'd inch foreward with their FINGER pointed out, and just inches BEFORE they got to the picture, my buddy's Dad would place a jar of WARM FACE CREAM in front of them, and their finger would squish into the warm, thick substance, and give them the impression that they DID INDEED "center in" on the cow!  :D

It WAS a BIG HIT!

Also----Over the years, I've seen the INDEX FINGER and PINKY held up, like you've seen at rock concerts(only with the THUMB hidden) held up as to mean the SAME THING the MIDDLE FINGER getting held up is supposed to mean!

Sepiatone

Can't say I'm disappointed at having missed out on one of the parties, but I guess they had fun.