>Launch in France on September 10 a new movie channel :

>

>PARAMOUNT CHANNEL

>Canal 27

>Canal 516 en HD :

>

>

>

>All films from Paramount catalog from 1930 to 2000, of which some will >be native HD ...

I'm astounded, considering that they won't let us see many of them.

From RapidTVNews:

"Paramount Channel will broadcast 20% recent movies, 50% movies released from the 60s to the 90s and 30% films produced between 1930 and 1960"

"The Made in Hollywood multi-screen HD channel and its catch-up TV service will be carried in the basic offer or as an option on Canalsat (satellite and ADSL), Numericable, Free, SFR and Bouygues Telecom in continental France, and on Canalsat and Le Cable in overseas territories."

From DigitalTVEurope:

"Paramount Channel, which will be the fourth Viacom channel to launch in France after MTV, Nickelodeon and Game One, will be accompanied by a smartphone application with a full TV schedule, clips and web radio functionality, and a channel app will be made available for free download from the iTunes and Google Play stores in the near future."

That this will become available as a streaming app is encouraging; hopefully US users will be able to access. I also have a feeling a lot of this stuff is going to wind up on youtube- albeit temporarily. You might want to set up email alerts in case they get posted. Don't expect them to stay on for long if they do. (Youtube content can be saved to DVR)

speakthelma.gif

> From RapidTVNews:

> "Paramount Channel will broadcast 20% recent movies, 50% movies released from the 60s to the 90s and 30% films produced between 1930 and 1960"

While it is called the Paramount Channel, it doesn't conclusively say that the films will be from the Paramount film library (unless there is something I missed,which is always possible). It just says that this new channel called Paramount in France will broadcast films from the 1930s -2000.

30% of the films broadcast will be those produced between 1930-1960 but Paramount sold their 1930-1948 film library to Universal back in the 1950s, so where are they getting these 1930-1948 titles? They aren't coming from Paramount because that studio hasn't owned those titles in almost 60 years.

So, is Paramount doing what other channels like SonyHD and MGMHD are doing here in the states and augmenting their film broadcasts from other studios as well?

Or will it be like the Fox Movie Channel with lots of repeat screenings, a focus on more modern films and a sprinkling of the 1930 -1960 films (possibly with an emphasis on the post 1948-1960 films that Paramount actually owns).

Or did Paramount retain the foreign rights to their 1930-1948 films in the deal with Universal?

And were there any films Paramount produced from 1930-1948 that weren't included in the Universal sale sixty years ago? Over the years, I've read that Paramount retained the rights to a small handful of early talkies (1930-1933) that they didn't include in the Universal sale.

Anyone know what those titles are?

Edited by: lzcutter on Oct 1, 2013 9:54 AM

Well, the official website, in French, is here:

http://www.paramountchannel.fr/

You can see some of the older films on its schedule.

"The Bells of St. Mary's" from 1945.

"Samson and Delilah" from 1949.

"The Counterfeit Traitor" from 1961.

"The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell" from 1955.

"We're No Angels" from 1955.

Don't see anything on its schedule, so far, pre-1945...

("The Bells of St. Mary's" and "Lost Weekend" both 1945.)

Sounds like your description of the Fox Movie Channel in your post.

Modern films mixed with late 1940s-1950s stuff...

Oh well...

This article in French mentions some of the films the new channel will air:

http://www.ozap.com/actu/paramount-channel-debarque-en-france/448952

It mentions "Lost Weekend" from 1945 ("Le Poison" with the year 1946) with the more modern films.

Edited by: RMeingast on Oct 1, 2013 4:19 PM

Corrected my error.

While *Lost Weekend* is a Paramount film, I believe Universal owns the rights to that one due to the sale almost 60 years ago.

*Bells of St. Mary* was produced by Rainbow Productions and released theatrically by RKO, so maybe they rented the film from Warner Brothers studio?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings