Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has your cable dropped TCM?

willmckinley

With the economy the way it's been and most people having to cut back on expenses, cable is really shooting themselves in the foot. Talk to most cable subscribers and they'll confirm the "classic movie" channel is their most watched.

TCM wasn't worth $100+/month to me, but most of the reason I discontinued cable was I hated being part of their cash cow. Cable serves up a lot of insulting crap-pap that I just couldn't support any more.

You can watch sports & PBS for nothing. The library has tons of classic DVDs available-many which are not shown on TCM like Fox movies.

I'm still amazed how many dopes continue paying cable's high prices for mostly pap, but see an awful lot more dishes these days.

Yeah, cable does supply a lot of "crap pap", but there are other options on my cable service I'm happy enough with. TCM has always been a part of their "basic" service, and not likely to go anywhere. The OP never mentioned which cable service they have( or HAD), so I don't know what to say about it. Maybe a dish IS their answer.

Sepiatone

I was very frustrated to discover this morning that my CableOne in Sioux City IA (I want people to know who they are) has dropped TCM due to a price dispute. If they don't resolve it, they will lose me as a customer as I want my TCM. I love the movies and no commercials!

I find this statement hard to believe: Talk to most cable subscribers and they'll confirm the "classic movie" channel is their most watched.

Most of my friends never watch TCM. They watch sports, network TV stations or movie channels that show recent movies.

The people at this forum do NOT represent the general cable viewing public. That is something to be proud of.

It is sad. :( A lot more people watch Monday night wrestling than TCM. And it wouldn't matter what TCM was showing. I guess I have to take comfort in being part of the intellectual minority.

Edited by: mrroberts on Oct 2, 2013 3:25 PM

>TCM wasn't worth $100+/month to me, but most of the reason I discontinued cable was I hated being part of their cash cow. Cable serves up a lot of insulting crap-pap that I just couldn't support any more<.

>You can watch sports & PBS for nothing. The library has tons of classic DVDs available-many which are not shown on TCM like Fox movies<

In my neighborhood, so many dropped cable that it got sold to another company. And you see dishes all over. I don't know anyone who has cable.

And also, the main PBS channel in town changed format. So even that's no guarantee. Although we have two other pbs channels, its not the same.

Edited by: Geraldddddd on Oct 2, 2013 9:30 PM

> TikiSoo wrote:

> I'm still amazed how many dopes continue paying cable's high prices for mostly pap

You may count me among the dopes.

We have investigated and there is no reasonable alternative. Over-the-air broadcasts are not available here because of terrain and other conditions unless we wish to **** an expensive tower to hold an antenna.

Neither of us are particularly attracted to watching television or movies on the computer and we could not watch a program of significant length together. There is no good way for us to locate a computer near a television. The method to hack streaming over Wifi and so gain access to computers connected to the same router is well documented and no television program is worth that risk.

I like also to catch up on some programs using the television in our workroom. The only method to do that is to record them to DVD while watching other things and then play them there because running any sort of cable into the room is not practical. Recording of streamed content is not user-friendly.

Our cable bill is nearly: $60 a month but it calculates to a small per-hour fee. TCM is on most of the time but there are two network programs and five cable programs which we like to watch which would be much more expensive if we were to purchase seasonal DVDs.

I'm a dope as well.

70 dollars a month brings me about 65 channels - maybe 20 of which I might watch at any given time. TCM is included of course. I think the little more than 2 bucks a day is good value considering the amount of entertainment I'm getting.

Blu. if I am not mistaken, I believe you have Rogers.

I cannot get Rogers where I live and I am stuck with Bell which costs me $220. a month for the 'bundle'. I had to get the 'bundle' in order to subscribe to TCM which was an additional 20.00 in itself. I do get 4 Movie Network channels as well (over 400 movies a month), but I hardly watch them. Do you get those too?

Twink

The only 3 in my area are Cogeco Cable (which I know is cheaper), however, they have recently dropped TCM.

Shaw Satellite, I had them come out Twice, both times they said I had too many trees around my property to get a reception and suggested I get Bell, which I did, and yes, they sure are Pricey ! If I wanted TCM (which I did), I had to get the 'bundle', which gives me everything, so now I'm stuck,. $220. mo. plus tax.

Twink

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings