Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Many Repeats?

*I have noticed that there has been a lot of repeat movies on, when there are so many other movies out there that are very seldom played. Examples, Shirley Temple, Ma and Pa Kettle, Bondie and Dagwood, Laurel and Hardy, The Hardy Boys, etc. Would be nice to see festival on these movies or at least some of them played once in awhile. I know I cant be the only person who misses these movies and would like to see them more often.*

>I know I cant be the only person who misses these movies and would like to see them more often.

No, you are not the only person who is fed up with the repeats and the non-classics on TCM this past year.

• 2 months later...

This is tongue-in-cheek and totally innacurate for the purposes of exaggeration

Total # of TCM airings - 2013

Moulin Rouge (1952) = 1 (?)

Fanny (1961) = 1 (?)

Gigi (1958) = 101

Short featuring Gigi (1958) in pan-n-scan / widescreen (207)

I'm highly dubious of all these new posters who register, make one or two posts saying they're unhappy about something at TCM, sometimes creating lengthy, lively threads, and yet the original poster is never heard from again for the rest of eternity. Pretty sure this is just the same person trying to create a noise by pretending that (s)he is may people.

I have to echo the multiple question mark response to the term "non-classic" movies. I think for all the whiners, "classic" always means "old". I wrote a long rant on another thread that in my mind the two words aren't synonyms.

I am utterly exhausted with the endless assertion that this is a "new" TCM, and I ranted about that for a long time on another thread as well. I would say at most changes have been subtle and not dramatic. I personally don't want a channel with some arbitrary cutoff date of what movies can be shown. That seems small-minded and closed-minded to me.

If TCM opts to introduce one new Christmas movie this year to its lineup, and it comes from 2006, and it's a classy comedy with a good cast, and it's the only movie aired in a 24-hour period that was made since Kennedy was elected president, good God, it's not the end of the world, people. Do something else for two freaking hours. How much of your lives do you spend watching this channel? It's not like TCM did a 24-hour Adam Sandler marathon. Methinks you (and I'm pretty sure you're one person) doth protest too much ...

Now, diversity of programming in my mind is a completely separate issue, and I too would like to see much greater diversity. My personal beef is every December for the last 10 years in a row, TCM has had a multiple Scrooge night and the Shop Around the Corner/In the Good Old Summertime night. I appear to be the only person in the history of the message boards to find this tired, hackneyed programming decision exhausting, because I've never read anyone else say anything about it.

Of course, we have to bear in mind that licensing movies costs money, and TCM can only do what it can do under certain restraints. I think diversity has definitely increased on this station. There have been many Fox movies that have made their premiere on this network in the last five years. By comparison, there seem to be fewer movies from the Paramount/Universal catalogue, but it's not like those movies have entirely disappeared.

Color me cynical, but I always find a strong correlation between the complaining about repeats and the complainer's opinion about the movies being repeated.

Not saying that I'm immune from this. If they showed The Killers or Bombshell or The Battle of Algiers once a week, it'd be no more annoying than being served a pint of Haagen-Dazs Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream for dinner every Sunday. I might want to switch to Java Chip or Butter Pecan for a bit of variety, but whatever complaint I had would be muffled after that first bite of heavenly mint.

OTOH whenever I see some worthless musical or costume drama on the schedule, when it played as recently as last April (the outrage!), I feel like I'm being strapped into my chair and forced to swallow a bunch of codfish balls dipped in mayonnaise, washed down with a big glass of vinegar.

And you know what? This sort of feeling happens to all of us, *until* a little light goes on and we realize that TCM isn't a movie version of our own personal iPod. If you want something like that, just record the movies you *like* and play them back when TCM is showing the ones you *don't* like. Works every time, and you'll never have to watch a "non-classic" (whatever that means) ever again.

I think the problem with the overplayed titles is one that should not necessarily be swept under the carpet. After all, this is a forum where TCM should gather some constructive feedback. Don't we want the Channel to be the best it can possibly be?

This said, the objection I have about SOME LIKE IT HOT airing 20 times in a two year period is that it automatically pushes other films out of rotation. And I am not talking about films that TCM is having a hard time acquiring due to negotiations with studios like Universal or Fox. But instead, I am talking about the great films that are in the Turner Library that just get neglected more than they should.

I will mention a random example: I really love THE JUDGE STEPS OUT, a late 40s RKO comedy-drama with Ann Sothern and Alexander Knox. It is in the Turner Library and was released several years ago thru the Warner Archives. I have only seen it on TCM once since 2008 (a year ago, in December 2012). Why should films like THE JUDGE STEPS OUT get short-shrift just so SOME LIKE IT HOT or SEVEN DAYS IN MAY can get yet another airing? And there are many films in the Turner Library that do not get played as often as they could be played.

New audiences are being denied the chance to discover some classics that they might really enjoy. These films continue to remain more obscure than necessary while the overplayed titles suffer from over-exposure and a sort of backlash by viewers who come on to the message boards to gripe. There has to be some sort of balance in terms of scheduling.

I sort of disagree. I really like NBNW, FHTE, and SLIH (though Wilder has done much better), but I'm still annoyed at how much they are shown on TCM. Maybe I just get annoyed easily.

Finance, your type of complaint isn't really what I was trying to lampoon in my clumsy way, and I also wish we'd see more Premieres and fewer repeats. I could even do without any more showings of Out of The Past for another year or so, even though it's on my top 10 list of all time. It's when those complaints about repeats get combined with nonstop whining about "too many movies after 1960 (or 1970, or 1980)" or "stop showing my personal definition of non-classics" that my cynicism kicks in.

> forced to swallow a bunch of codfish balls dipped in mayonnaise, washed down with a big glass of vinegar.

I see you've had dinner at my mother-in-law's, too!

Dargo, loved the IAWL parody of yours. Going to inwardly chuckle every time I hear a bell ring.

Somebody with the patience to do so should figure out what gets repeated more often; SOME LIKE IT HOT, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, or TOO MANY REPEATS ON TCM threads.

Sepiatone

*The Hardy Boys*? Someone just has to fill me in on classic Hardy Boy movies. Must have been a serial?

I never cared for the "Blondie" series and don't really think they have aged well, but TCM has shown the films. They show similar film series all or in part on Sat. mornings/afternoons (depending upon your time zone). Currently *Maisie*, in the past the *Falcon* movies, *Tarzan*, etc.

>Somebody with the patience to do so should figure out what gets repeated more often; SOME LIKE IT HOT, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, or TOO MANY REPEATS ON TCM threads.

Well, NOT that I'm a particularity patience man here Sepia, but coincidentally I HAVE recently compiled this very statistic of which you speak.

And what I discovered was that IF you combine this here "Too many repeats" thing AND all the "They're showin' way too many movies on TCM lately that were made after 1960" kinda threads, THEN the occasional showings of Curtis and Lemmon in drag, Cary and Eva hangin' by their fingertips off George Washington's face, AND the showings of the sadly recently departed Mr. O'Toole ridin' one of those funny lookin' animals that people say were "designed by committee" over the desert sands of Arabia, actually PALE in number to those previously mentioned kinda threads around here!

(...though I'll bet you're not THAT surprised by these stats, are ya ol' buddy!) ;)

> But, to paraphrase those who rule here: too bad, shut up, and move on. This is the new and improved TCM, so get used to it.

You need to come up with a new argument. This is gettiing rather old and tedious.

Oh, and have yourself a merry little Xmas.

> I'm highly dubious of all these new posters who register, make one or two posts saying they're unhappy about something at TCM, sometimes creating lengthy, lively threads, and yet the original poster is never heard from again for the rest of eternity. Pretty sure this is just the same person trying to create a noise by pretending that (s)he is many people.

I agree with you. This can not be a new person that comes on each different thread and posts a question and or concern and then we never hear from them again. Unless it is a different person each time and is just too afraid to get tangled up into some conflagration.

> I have to echo the multiple question mark response to the term "non-classic" movies. I think for all the whiners, "classic" always means "old". I wrote a long rant on another thread that in my mind the two words aren't synonyms.

Well, thank you for your sentiments. I was merely responding to Fred C. Dobbs with less than a one word response. Typically I get all hung up with some long-winded response and I decided for once to answer with question marks.

> I am utterly exhausted with the endless assertion that this is a "new" TCM, and I ranted about that for a long time on another thread as well. I would say at most changes have been subtle and not dramatic. I personally don't want a channel with some arbitrary cutoff date of what movies can be shown. That seems small-minded and closed-minded to me.

Agree here as well. It would seem that a few come here every day to complain about their thoughts of TCM going the way of AMC or at the very least TCM changing their programming because they see newer titles being shown.

> If TCM opts to introduce one new Christmas movie this year to its lineup, and it comes from 2006, and it's a classy comedy with a good cast, and it's the only movie aired in a 24-hour period that was made since Kennedy was elected president, good God, it's not the end of the world, people. Do something else for two freaking hours. How much of your lives do you spend watching this channel? It's not like TCM did a 24-hour Adam Sandler marathon. Methinks you (and I'm pretty sure you're one person) doth protest too much ...

Well said. There are those long-time posters here who will admit that showing newer films here does not pollute the brand, instead it helps to bring in younger viewers. And what is wrong with that? You have to have something that will entice different and maybe younger viewers to the channel. Although, based on what I have read from folks who have attended the TCM festival in Hollywood, most of the people attending are under the age of 50. So who knows? And since TCM does not have commercials and so they do not subscribe to any of the ratings services. We may never know just who is watching the channel.

> Now, diversity of programming in my mind is a completely separate issue, and I too would like to see much greater diversity. My personal beef is every December for the last 10 years in a row, TCM has had a multiple Scrooge night and the Shop Around the Corner/In the Good Old Summertime night. I appear to be the only person in the history of the message boards to find this tired, hackneyed programming decision exhausting, because I've never read anyone else say anything about it.

I agree. However, I understand TCM's commitment to folks who may want to see this kind of programming. I once read where many years ago and I am not sure but maybe this still happens, that in England they showed John Wayne movies on Christmas. Now why would they do that? Have you ever heard of this? I read this many years ago, so maybe it is a practice that is not done anymore.

To me it would be okay to showcase one actor for Christmas and show films from that actor each day leading up to Christmas. Maybe a twelve days of Christmas movies with one star? Like August but just twelve days. I don't know. But it would be okay with me if they showed newer, post 1970 Christmas films as well.

> Of course, we have to bear in mind that licensing movies costs money, and TCM can only do what it can do under certain restraints. I think diversity has definitely increased on this station. There have been many Fox movies that have made their premiere on this network in the last five years. By comparison, there seem to be fewer movies from the Paramount/Universal catalogue, but it's not like those movies have entirely disappeared.

Well, here is the other thing that bothers the naysayers. They are always arguing that TCM is wrong somehow. That the channel is either too cheap or too lazy to get the kinds of films they want the channel to show. I say I agree with you again. It is not TCM's fault that they can only rent or lease certain films. Many films still can not be shown on the new digital format the channel now uses. And again, thsi is not being an apologist for TCM. It is simple the truth. There are thousands of films sitting in dark rooms just waiting to be transferred to a digital format. But obviously the film studios do not care about this.

Personally I'd like to see more of these older films get transferred to digital. The sooner the better. The studios holding back like Paramount and Universal are just shooting themselves in the a _ _. There are so many old and newer films that could see the light of day if only some executive at these studios could see the light of day.

And the last thing that irks me is that when people start posting new threads they never, ever look to see if there is already a thread discussing what they are going to write about...

All this person had to do was to look and see that another thread is basically the same thing....

*Mourning the death of TCM as we know it...*

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=171988&tstart=0

Edited by: fxreyman on Dec 23, 2013 1:39 PM

> I'm highly dubious of all these new posters who register, make one or two posts saying they're unhappy about something at TCM, sometimes creating lengthy, lively threads, and yet the original poster is never heard from again for the rest of eternity.

You'll notice once again that the OP registered eight months ago despite having a total number of posts in the single digits. You'd think somebody who was enough of a fan of TCM to sign up months and months ago would have been watching long enough to see how little of a change there's really been.

Then again, if they want to air SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, one of my top ten films, 3 times a week, I have no problem with that. I guess, at some point, excellence trumps repetitiveness. That's why I only have 225 songs on my ipod.

Edited by: finance on Dec 23, 2013 5:07 PM