Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SOTM Vincent Price

Finally ! A thread about the great Vincent Price as Star of the Month.

( I was thinking of starting one myself, but felt I'd used up my start-new-thread quotient for a while.)

Although mainly known for his horror movies, Price was in a lot of other types of films before he made horrors the focus of his career.

One well worth checking out is *His Kind of Woman*. This is being aired tomorrow night (Thursday October 10. at 9:45).

It's actually considered a film noir, starring old "hey, I'm not as passive as I look" Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell. It's one of those films noirs that are also almost as much comedy as noir.

And who contributes significantly to the comic elements in *His Kind of Woman* ? Vincent Price !

There's one scene in particular (I won't say which, for those who haven't yet seen it) that's hilariously funny. And Mr. Price is right there, at the helm, so to speak.

Another "noir" and a great movie in any genre that features Vincent Price is *Laura* . It is not on TCM.s schedule this month. I cannot think what the problem is. I own the DVD, and it's been aired in Canada any number of times. Don't tell me there's actually a classic movie that has broadcasting rights in Canada but not the U.S. !

Price is also quite funny in *Laura*; between him and Clifton Webb, I get a lot of laughs out of this fine Otto Preminger work. It's really too bad it's not part of Vincent Price's SOTM celebration.

Oh well, I'm sure they'd have programmed it in if they could have.

Price is another one of those actors, like Duryea, whose personal life was far different from his screen personas. I believe all of them were, but Price was so far removed from how many people think of him from his film roles.

Just LOVE the guy!

Sepiatone

What places Price into a nearly unique place among actors is his ability to play a wide range of villains. Not just the truly dark ones (Shock; The Bribe), but also the dark and slightly deranged (The Long Night), the raffish and charming (The Baron of Arizona), the not-quite-villainish but smarmy nevertheless (While The City Sleeps; Laura), the sort-of-hero who still isn't quite all there (His Kind of Woman) , and then of course all those roles in the horror genre, which he portrays on a level seldom achieved by anyone not equipped with about 30 pounds of makeup.

If I had to put my finger on the unifying force behind Price's appeal, it's the way he always seems to realize exactly how he appears to everyone else. He knows underneath his bluff that you're on to him, but he also knows that by the sheer power of his charm he can neutralize your self-protective instincts until it's too late. There isn't anyone quite like him, and I'm glad that he's finally being given a month long showcase.

Price is another one of those actors, like Duryea, whose personal life was far different from his screen personas. I believe all of them were, but Price was so far removed from how many people think of him from his film roles.

In that category, two who may stand out as much or even more than Price or Duryea would be Robert Ryan and Richard Widmark. Ryan once famously said that he'd lived his entire life fighting against the sort of characters he'd portrayed in his movies, and Widmark was every bit as exemplary.

Of course the opposite types are also legion, beginning with Bing Crosby and flying forth from there.

Vincent Price was one of those actors who was great fun to watch on the old variety shows (he guested on many). He did Hollywood Squares and I believe other game shows. He was a frequent guest on talk shows too. You got to see the real man and he was a fun guy. So no matter how evil he was playing those villain roles you knew it was all acting and he seemed to enjoy every minute of it . He also was a bit of a ham (remember that ham thread awhile ago), but I don't think anyone minded. Ironically one of his best known films is *The Fly* , and he plays the straight man in that one.

To Vincent Price's resume we might also note that for many years the "Treasury of Great Recipes" cookbook he wrote with his wife Mary was a perennial bestseller in that category. He also wrote books on art and architectural history, and in general seemed to be full of interest and curiosity about nearly every subject imaginable.

I love what both Andy & mrroberts said so eloquently!

For myself, Vincent Price brings a sexy handsome quality to roles which makes him seem all the more dangerous! His obvious glee in having power over others comes across just as well in his non-horror roles such as in Dragonwyk.

I find the well educated, mannered, sensitive & elegant part of his real persona add to his horror roles too. But with or without his mustache and even into old age, he was definitely a handsome man!

Naturally, don't suppose Dangerous Mission with Victor Mature and Piper Laurie is scheduled either. :(

Look on the schedule. It's on tonight, mislabeled for some strange reason as a "musical".

*1:30 AM*

*C- 75 min*

*TV-G*

*musical*

*Dangerous Mission (1954)*

*A woman flees westward after witnessing a mob killing.*

*Dir: Louis King Cast: Victor Mature , Piper Laurie , William Bendix .*

Why is Robert Mitchum *ironing* money in "His Kind of Woman"?

I noticed the 2 meters were *stuck* on the oversize transmitter and no indicator lights telling me he's transmitting.

Like Vincent Price better in horror

Movie is a bit boring, might as well watch the financial crisis in Greece on LINK.

> Naturally, don't suppose Dangerous Mission with Victor Mature and Piper Laurie is scheduled either. Look on the schedule. It's on tonight, mislabeled for some strange reason as a "musical".1:30 AMC- 75 min TV-G musical Dangerous Mission (1954) A woman flees westward after witnessing a mob killing. Dir: Louis King Cast: Victor Mature , Piper Laurie, William Bendix

Yeah, I saw it....watched it too. :)

Price's most villainous role may have been in the very dark "Conqueror Worm," on TCM November 1st. Price plays a purely evil character, a corrupt witch hunter, and he plays the role straight, without any of the wink-wink irony with which he threw himself into, say, "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" or "Theater of Blood." He is very effective and chilling in this nicely-filmed period piece. Unfortunately "Conqueror Worm" is I believe the somewhat watered-down American version of the British "The Witchfinder General;" "Conqueror Worm" used to be a staple of late-night TV in the 70's. It's worth catching for horror buffs if you want to see Price play pure villainy with no sugar added, and play it convincingly.

Edited by: MrWham on Oct 11, 2013 8:03 PM

Maybe the place he gets it laundered charges extra to PRESS it.

Caught Price and Mature in LAS VEGAS STORY. I was tickled at how much Vegas has changed over the years. And that they caught the helicopter at the McCarren air FIELD! Last I saw it, it grew considerably. My wife jokingly wondered if that abandoned air field they finally cornered the bad guy in eventually became "Area 51".

I liked Price in that role. He wasn't evil, but wasn't exactly a boy scout, either. And not very bright as well, if he didn't do more to hang on to a wife like Jane Russel.

Sepiatone

Just watched CHAMPAGNE FOR CEASER where Vinnie played a comic charactor brilliantly!

He was over-the-top but so funny & wonderful as the president of Milady Soap Co. He could "tune out" and absolutely freeze and at other times use his entire body to convey his evil spoiledness.

You just know the cast had a blast making this movie-it shows!

(Vincent Price is teen TikiKid's favorite classic actor, along with Cagney)

Speaking of Vincent, I am so enjoying John Waters' little tribute to him that TCM has been showing this month. You can tell that Waters is a true fan and not some Johnny Come Lately. When he talks about his love for the Tingler and how he enjoyed just hearing Price's voice, you know he means it from the bottom of his heart.

As he says so succinctly in his monologue, all people liked Price and his appeal was widespread. I have an older relative who used to work at a local tv station, and I was so pleased to hear her say that of all the celebrities who she had ever met promoting something on her channel in the 1960's, that Vincent Price was the nicest and most kind and fun person who she had ever had to deal with...

I bet he was a lot nicer than Will Rogers who said he never met a man he did not like. When asked what she thought of Will Rogers, Maureen O'Sullivan said that you notice that Will never said he never met a woman he didn't like...

N'uf said...