Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

naughty, naughty...and God created Brigitte just for TCM

allthumbs

i see TCM has scheduled the 1956 sexual liberation (?) movie ...and God Created Woman w/Brigitte Bardot early Tues morning, Oct 8 at 4:30 AM edt. i presume it's part of The Story of Film group of movies, although it's last in the sequence of movies and that leaves the possibility that it's an afterthought.

now, i've never seen it (i was way too young to be allowed into the theater, but i sure had heard a lot about it) but IMDb and Rovi indicate it's watchable, and The Criterion Collection's got one of their spine #'s for it. so, i'm going to make an effort to get up (no pun) and watch this. TCM sure buried this one. the funny thing is TCM aired Contempt (1963) last week around noon and that had Brigitte in a Godard movie. by that time, all of her movie contracts had a nude scene requirement written into them, but Godard didn't think a nude scene necessary. however, the money people insisted on one because that's what they were paying her for. so Godard filmed the opening scene with Brigitte nude and talking to her bedmate right after they awoke. pretty tame stuff what with sheets and blankets and pillows cluttering up the view.

despite "...and God's" notoriety and supposed sexual antics, it's my understanding there's a kind of reactionary payoff to the movie's goings-on. but i'm glad someone's going to show this. (for historical purposes only (nudge, nudge, wink, wink))

well, i saw part of this (the last two-thirds) and i don't see what all the hub-bub was about. Brigitte was fully clothed all the time (except for the one time she was lying face down and topless on the front deck of a small boat).

frankly, it was pretty boring stuff. two other movies come to mind and had vaguely similar plots: L'Avventura (1961) and Darling (1965). the best of the three was Darling and has a (then) topical plot line and a neat payoff. L'Avventura is a well regarded masterpiece directed by Michelangelo Antonioni, but which i think is overblown existential pablum. ...and God Created Woman comes in third on this short list. it does have a good looking young actress and occasional flurries of drama.

all in all God/Woman is a disappointment. (and there wasn't a naughty thing about it.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings