Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Laurence Harvey

kaslovesTCM

I am reading now that Laurence Harvey was very difficult to work with especially to his female costars

but what I find particularly funny is that Kim Novak purposely ate a lot of garlic before their love scenes lol and then I read the same thing about Shirley Mclaine

I wouldn't regard Harvey as one of my favorites, but I have seen several good performances out of him, especially WALK ON THE WILD SIDE and THE MANCHIRIAN CANDIDATE. And the spot in THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN, where he performs a striptease while doing "Hamlet" is good, too.

I haven't heard anything about him being difficult to work with, but haven't heard otherwise either.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Oct 6, 2013 1:28 PM

Many of the actresses he worked with have publicly stated that they didn't like him. Capucine supposedly didn't want to kiss him in WALK ON THE WILD SIDE and he supposedly said kissing her was like kissing the side of a beer bottle.

Elizabeth Taylor, however, was supposedly very fond of him.

I wonder what Julie Christie thought about him? I like their work together in DARLING.

A fellow named Brian Huberman made a documentary about the making of John Wayne's "The Alamo" and interviewed many of the cast and crew. All reported that Harvey was the life of the party and kept the mood light on the set. There are home movies showing Harvey as downright ebullient. Of course, Harvey didn't have to kiss anyone in that film.

It also said that Wayne was impressed with Harvey's professionalism during a crucial scene where his character responds to the enemy by touching off a cannon. The cannon came crashing down on Harvey's foot and broke it and Harvey didn't flinch to ruin the shot. He had to film many of his scenes in a cast.

As an aside about onscreen smooching, I once attended a film festival where Kris Kristofferson related that he hated Barbra Streisand so much during the reboot of "A Star Is Born" that he spent the whole morning before their kissing scene eating raw garlic. He said Streisand had done the same with onions.

sepiatone wrote

> And the spot in THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN, where he performs a striptease while doing "Hamlet" is good, too.

Really? That sounds like a movie I am going to have to watch for! (not becasue I particularly want to watch Harvey strip, but because it's sounds so wonderfully incongruous)

I never had any great love for the guy, but he did impress me in a few films. However, it's not as if I'd see a film just because he was in it.

What did impress me was his talk show appearances. For a time he seemed to be a semi-regular on Merv Griffin's CBS show and the man was one of the best raconteurs I've seen. Charming, funny and constantly telling amusing anecdotes. I had never seen that side of him in a film.

He played a detective in "Man On The Run" and was creepy. That was in 1949. I got another movie from Sinister "House Of Darkness" 1948. Its an offbeat ghost story.

I believe in ghosts. I saw one and it talked to me a long time. I was half asleep thats why I remember it so clearly.

His most important role was in "Room At The Top" and I knew a lady who was a big fan. & since I had a bunch of his movies, the lady was put in touch with me. He has been in alot of movies where he reveals the truth to a character and then regrets it.

I really relate to that because I have done that and regretted it. I've had it done to me and it hurt. so I stopped doing it. leave people's images of themselves to themselves. I often smile & regard folks in wheelchairs in front of supermarkets. I can't see myself sitting in front of a supermarket. I'd be afraid to do it.

No matter how good you are, you must find parts that suit you. "The Running Man" was a good part. "Expresso Bongo" was another great part where he tells people what he thinks of them and then gets told what they think of him. it ends happily.

I liked TCM has shown: "Summer and Smoke" and "Butterfield 8"......... some I don't like are "Life At The Top" and "Of Human Bondage".& one that does not make sense "A Dandy In Aspic"...

"Night Watch" is his last movie. Liz Taylor is paranoid. I heard he had a serious operation before the movie then died soon after. He looked extremely thin and he was so thin anyway that there was no weight left to lose. a great naturally gifted actor.

leave page? I'm new and the board is funny/funky

I once attended a film festival where Kris Kristofferson related that he hated Barbra Streisand so much during the reboot of "A Star Is Born" that he spent the whole morning before their kissing scene eating raw garlic. He said Streisand had done the same with onions.

Gorch, that's interesting about Streisand and Kristofferson. Apparently they must have gotten over their early animosity.

One thing that Harvey could never master was a southern American accent. He tried in "The Alamo", but it sort of disappeared in some scenes. In "The Outrage", he carried it to such an extreme degree that it was almost silly. Check out his exit line in the final version of the tale. It's a howler.

Holden, I believe that Kristofferson did allude in that Q&A that he had made amends with Babs. He also stated that he is the only actor ever to co-star with Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand and Pee Wee Herman.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings