Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lewis Gilbert Films 10/10/13

kingrat

Just a heads-up that the Lewis Gilbert films which were canceled a few months ago because of a memorial tribute will be shown on Thursday, Oct. 10. *The Seventh Dawn* (1964) has quite a few fans on these boards. At the time, American audiences weren't so interested in moral dilemmas in faraway Southeast Asia. William Holden and his Malayan friend work together to fight the Japanese in WWII, but then his friend goes to college in the Soviet Union and becomes a leader of the Communist insurgency. Susannah York and Capucine provide romantic complications. This movie holds up very well.

I haven't seen the other films, but *The Good Die Young* is a heist film with Laurence Harvey, Gloria Grahame, and Richard Basehart, so that sounds interesting. *Loss of Innocence*, based on a Rumer Godden novel, stars Kenneth More, Susannah York, and Danielle Darrieux. For me, another must see. There's also *The Admirable Crichton*, based on the J.M. Barrie play and starring David Niven.

Lewis Gilbert is best remembered, if at all, for directing Alfie. Another enjoyable film of his, *Cast a Dark Shadow*, will be shown on Oct. 22 during the Margaret Lockwood tribute. Lockwood, Dirk Bogarde, Mona Washbourne, and Kay Walsh are all terrific.

I wish TCM would do a tribute to Susannah York, who died almost three years ago, and include those collaborations with Lewis Gilbert along with her more notable films -- "Tom Jones" (1963), "The Killing of Sister George" (1968) and "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (1969).

• 2 weeks later...

*Loss of Innocence* turned out to be a fine film, directed with the delicate touch it needed. Kenneth More as a charming thief and Susannah York and Jane Asher as sisters on the verge of womanhood all gave memorable performances. Too bad this isn't on DVD. I hope TCM will repeat it.

If *The Good Die Young* isn't quite a top-notch noir, it was still most enjoyable, with strong performances by Laurence Harvey as a guy who just gets slimier as the movie goes on, Stanley Baker as a boxer at the end of his career, and Richard Basehart as a nice guy married to Joan Collins (who, amazingly, is playing a nice meek girl) whose mother (Freda Jackson) is truly a monster. All this and Gloria Grahame, Robert Morley, Margaret Leighton, John Ireland, and Lee Patterson, too.

By the way, TCM has featured Susannah York a couple of times previously.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings