Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Friday primetime horror

FlyBackTransformer

I will always sit thru Hammer's landmark 1958 Dracula aka. Horror of Dracula but is this the recently restored print unveiled over in the UK or a standard print? Inquiring minds wanna know. :) Later on tonite we get the obligatory showing of TCM pet movie The Haunting which I always enjoy sitting thru just for Julie Harris' hilarious performance.as a neurotic clairvoyant.

> I still remember watching "The Haunting" with my sister late one Saturday night when we were kids. After that she couldn't sleep for a week! For my money, the best haunted house movie ever!

I like it too but it is somewhat unbelievable that such a discerning haunted house would pass on Claire Bloom in favor of such an annoying Julie Harris. LOL :)

between Horror of Dracula (1958), 8 PM edt, and The Haunting (1963), 1 AM, are two really good scary fliks: Isle of the Dead, 930 PM, and Dead of Night, 11 PM, (both 1945). Isle is a Val Lewton production which allows Boris Karloff to actually act. in addition, Dead of Night features Sally Ann Howes along with Michael Redgrave, who appears in the ventriloquist segment. both these movies are welcome when they're shown no matter the frequency (which, sadly, isn't as often as some others.)

The true buried treasure doesn't come until the end of the night. 'The Virgin of Nuremberg' aka 'Horror Castle' is a movie I've wanted to see for decades.

Unfortunately, being Canadian, I still don't get to see it even now. TCM isn't showing it in Canada.

I agree, "Isle of the Dead" really gives Karloff a chance to stretch his acting chops, and it has all the shadowy moodiness and mystery you come to expect from Val Lewton's productions. One of my favorites. Haven't seen "Dead of Night" for awhile, looking forward to it. Really, the whole lineup tonight is pretty good, although "The Haunting" is overplayed on TCM and House of Seven Corpses" is very early-70s drive-in.

I woke up in the wee hours and watched part of *Horror Castle;* found it really creepy and engaging. I just watched the end of it. It's quite a good little thriller! There are silly touches, of course, but one forgives them in a film like this.

> I saw HORROR OF DRACULA as a kid when it first came out. Watched it again tonight. The print didn't look too bad to me.This is the movie that made me a sort of "Cushing/Lee" fan for all these years.Sepiatone

Hammer had a great thing going with Christopher Lee as Dracula which they ultimately squandered...and very badly. The first direct sequel The Brides of Dracula without Christopher Lee. Lee has said they never asked him for a reprise. Take this the first film we all just watched. The sun is going down and Van Eyssen's Harker pussyfoots around taking too long staking Dracula and his woman in an open mausoleum which seems all to accessable to me since the start of the film. He couldn't have been quicker by staking the count first??? I would've. :) Another point, after staking Valerie Guant she turns into an old hag? Is Hammer's conception of vampirism a state of true death or isn't it? Later on Cushing spouts something about vampirism being a holdover of ancient blood cults. He tells Holmwood (Gough) that transformations into bats and wolves is "a common fallacy".Yet in The Brides of Dracula Fisher has our hero Van Helsing (a tour-de-force performance by Cushing probably his best as Van Helsing) having to fend off a female bat-vamp with his medical bag. :) Why then were Carrera and Fisher so averse to injecting such fantasy elements into the 1958 film? It always bothered me too that we never get the same Castle Dracula in any Hammer film. That was a nice matte.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings