Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS, my first time seeing it

FredCDobbs

I'm really glad I'm finally having a chance to see this film. The topic covered is actually a very important one that involves millions of people annually.

Whether its an age difference or just a second husband or wife and the almost-grown kids who don't want any replacements.

These kids will be out of the house and in college in a year or so. They need to shut up.

And the scene near the end, with the kids bringing in the TV set, is one of the most depressing ending scene of any movie.

I watched this movie for the first time tonight and I LOVED it ! :)

A real tear jerker, but in the end, everything turned out all right! They were tru to themselves and that was all that mattered. The scenery was fantastic and the old barn looked so cosy. :)

I wonder how a future audience will view this subject matter. When all of those (us, really) who have grown up or lived through that era have passed on will anyone besides a film critic realize the social stigma involved? The thought of so many films becoming irrelevant astounds me.

>I wonder how a future audience will view this subject matter. When all of those (us, really) who have grown up or lived through that era have passed on will anyone besides a film critic realize the social stigma involved? The thought of so many films becoming irrelevant astounds me.

You are so right. This film certainly captures the typical small town cultural attitudes of the 1950s.

I can understand people thinking the way they are thinking, because many people still think that way, although today they usually don't say anything about it and they don't bother anyone about it. In many communities today, people will be all on Jane's side, because the objective in life is to be happy rather than miserable, and if a younger man makes her happy at her age, then I hope she is happy. After all, her son and daughter are leaving home, the daughter is getting married, and a new TV set will NOT make Jane as happy as a new young boyfriend will.

I believe eventually Peyton Place will be viewed by a large audience who will, at movies end, scratch their collective heads and wonder out loud what was the big deal about this film. To them it might have been better to re-edit the film giving iPhones to all the characters, having them all thrown into a bonfire outside the courthouse in some sort of protest - possibly the town council's ban on Starbucks within the city limits.