Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fox westerns on the Encore Westerns Channel

TopBilled

THE GUNFIGHTER, with Gregory Peck, aired recently on the Encore Westerns Channel. It is scheduled again on December 11th.

Randolph Scott and Nancy Kelly headline FRONTIER MARSHAL, which is scheduled for October 19th & 20th, then again on December 2nd.

Also, Barbara Stanwyck stars in FORTY GUNS, a Sam Fuller western that Encore will air on November 10th, 11th and 30th.

To think John Wayne had the first crack at "The Gunfighter", but because of his dislike of Harry Cohn, because the way Cohn had treated the young actor years earlier, Wayne refused to work for him. So Cohn sold the property to Fox and as they say..."The rest is history"...

The head of the studio always said the reason the film did poor B.O. was the fact that Peck wore a mustache......

fredbaetz wrote: The head of the studio always said the reason the film did poor B.O. was the fact that Peck wore a mustache......

I don't believe it! This is one of the best Westerns ever made, an honest tale of the life of a gunman and Mr. Peck nailed it. Skip Hoemier is perfect as the kid challenger who gets his at the end by living and inheriting the need to keep proving he's the fastest gun. This is one of the few Westerns my grandfather would watch and he always recommended it to others. Thanks to TV late shows for my finally getting the chance to see it. In this case "the customer is not always right".

I didn't say I didn't like this excellent oater. It did poor B.O. business when it was released in 1949. Part of the poor business might be the stach, but it was what we might call a "adult western" and at that time there were not that many around. you had Roy Rogers and Gene Autry and the "B" westerns. "Red River" was an adult one, but that was a sprawling ,almost epic one. "The Gunfighter" was a closed in one town story { aside from the opening} all the action takes place in the saloon or her room. I consider it a truly great piece of film making, but peoples tastes were a little different then.

Bosley Crowler, the N.Y. Times critic said of it..."...The audience will discover they're in the exciting presence of one of the most fascinating western heros as ever looked down a six shooters barrel."

But it still did poor B.O....

Edited by: fredbaetz on Oct 21, 2013 2:16 AM

Well this will probably be blasphemy on the board but I prefer Peck's portrayal in the Gunfighter over what I can imagine with his history what John Wayne's would have been like.

Unrelated, but, I do think Wayne's performance in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is top notch however.

>I do think Wayne's performance in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is top notch however.

Ironically, Duke did not like THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE. He thought he stood around too much with nothing to do. He made sure that his subsequent films offered plenty of action.

Good Afternoon TopBilled,

I am SHOCKED to hear you say that John Wayne did not like.. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.. that is hard for me to believe. So I take pencil in hand and ask you if you were there when he made that statement? Do you have a tape that I can see Duke make that statement?

Looking forward to hearing your answer.

Take care,

Lane Temple

A friend of mine is Miles Swarthout, the son of author Glendon Swarthout, upon whose book THE SHOOTIST is based. Miles was on set during filming, and he said Duke would remind everyone that there needed to be plenty of action. He did not like scenes where nothing significant was happening, and he let it be known that he felt THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE was hindered because of the stretches where he stood around and did nothing. Duke was very adamant about this, per Miles.

Miles also has some other interesting stories about the filming of THE SHOOTIST. One excellent scene in the book involving a preacher that was included in the original script was scrapped because costar Jimmy Stewart did not like it. Jimmy had converted to Catholicism and felt the satire involving a clergyman was too irreverent and in poor taste. Duke was also Catholic and did not want to offend Jimmy's sensibilities, so the scene was cut.

This is the first time I have ever heard of Wayne's feelings on "TMWSLV", but that does not surprise me. He {Wayne} did do a lot of standing around in the film. About the only action he sees in the film is kicking Strother Martin in the face when Martin tries to pick up the steak, the stare down with Marvin and getting knocked on his backside by Stewart with the shooting lesson and of course the flash back of the shooting. As a actor who knew what his fans wanted and were use to, I can guess what he was thinking. But his role is the backbone of the film, although not a typical John Wayne role. I agree that "Valance" is a classic western with a wonderful performance by Wayne and the rest of the cast.

>As a actor who knew what his fans wanted and were use to, I can guess what he was thinking.

I think that is the main point about John Wayne. Even in his Monogram films from the 1930s, there was always a lot of action-- and that is what his fans expected, and he knew it.

I also think that maybe he felt he was playing a supporting part and that Jimmy Stewart basically had the lead in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE. In THE SHOOTIST, it is clear that Jimmy is performing a supporting role.

>So your despicable statement was based on hearsay.

Your use of the word 'despicable' almost makes me not want to reply. I think your tone is a bit harsh.

Even something that Robert Osborne says on TCM that could be repeated to another classic film fan would technically be considered hearsay. But these are people who actually knew the stars and worked with them in some capacity while they were alive, so although their stories may not be infallible, I think they do have some merit.

The character of the pastor in the book is not specifically defined, but I got the impression he was a Protestant. The ironic thing about Jimmy Stewart's concerns is that Jimmy's character, the doctor, had no real interaction with the preacher. So he would not have been in any of those scenes. But apparently, when Jimmy read the whole script, he did object to it, and Duke had it taken out. Jimmy just didn't think filmmakers should poke fun at religion.

I find the material that Jimmy disliked to be one of the more humorous parts of the book. Of course, there were other scenes from the book left out of the movie. And in my humble opinion, it should have all been included.

Well TopBill,....I don't like statements that are not factual and I don't think I was "harsh" but I can be goaded into harshness and I feel that coming on to me soon. I want you to tell your good friend, Miles Swarthout the following:

#1...I don't believe that John Wayne made that statement on the set of the SHOOTIST. By the way, as I said to you before, this film is an EXCELLENT picture but it is not a rock-em sock-em Western and Duke would know that a good western doesn't have to be a picture with a lot of action and the SHOOTIST does not have alot of action.

#2..James Stewart in 1976 didn't have the clut to make a studio bend to his wishes and insist that the peacher scene be scrapped. As a matter of fact, Duke Wayne didn't have the clut either at THAT time.

#3...Finally, James Stewart was NEVER a Catholic.

Ah! the THRILL of it ALL!!

Lane Temple

Anyone seen either Top Gun (w/ Sterling Hayden) or Backlash (Widmark/Donna Reed) ? I DVR'ed both off Encore Westerns for later viewing.

I've seen both. *Backlash* is an early John Sturges film about stolen money and a man trying to find his father. John McIntire and Harry Morgan are also in the film; It's a U-I so how could they not be? It's in color and worth your time.

*Top Gun* is a low-budget b&w from UA with Hayden, Rod Taylor, John Dehner and William Bishop. A gunman returns to the hometown that hates him to help defend it from a gang of marauders and find out who killed his mother and stole their ranch. It's nothing special but okay if you like the actors.

• 3 weeks later...

MY DARLING CLEMENTINE will air on December 4th, 5th and 28th on the Encore Westerns Channel.

Synopsis: John Ford directs this classic story of Wyatt Earp (Henry Fonda) and Doc Holliday (Victor Mature), who put differences aside to settle the score with rivals at the O.K. Corral.

• 2 weeks later...

*To think John Wayne had the first crack at "The Gunfighter", but because of his dislike of Harry Cohn, because the way Cohn had treated the young actor years earlier, Wayne refused to work for him. So Cohn sold the property to Fox and as they say..."The rest is history"...*

*The head of the studio always said the reason the film did poor B.O. was the fact that Peck wore a mustache......*

And Gregory Peck had first crack at HIGH NOON, but thought the role was too similar to his Johnny Ringo in THE GUNFIGHTER.

• 1 month later...

THE RETURN OF FRANK JAMES (1940) will air on January 19 & 31 on the Encore Westerns Channel. Cast includes Henry Fonda (recreating his role from Fox's earlier western JESSE JAMES); Gene Tierney; and Jackie Cooper in his post-MGM child star days. This was Tierney's film debut.

Stellar support from veteran character players Henry Hull, Donald Meek, John Carradine, J. Edward Bromberg, George Barbier and Barbara Pepper, among others.

*THE UNDEFEATED (1969)* will air on the Encore Westerns Channel on February 1 & 2.

Synopsis from locatetv.com:

A former Union colonel and his men are driving a herd of cattle into Mexico when they cross the path of their one-time Confederate enemy and his fellow settlers. A Mexican warlord is harrying the Confederate community, so the colonel forms a reluctant alliance to fight the Mexican and his bandits - as well as renegade members of the French Cavalry. Civil War drama, starring John Wayne, Rock Hudson, Lee Meriwether, Marian McCargo, Tony Aguilar and Roman Gabriel.

• 2 weeks later...