Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM's latest eclectic binge

FlyBackTransformer

Last nite appropriately at midnite I enjoyed F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu with a score composed by Hammer Studios' great John Bernard. Quite frankly the only silent film I've ever liked. Today, whatta we get? Lillian Gish. I like Nosferatu but let's not push it. Where's the UK version of William Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars or, for that matter, the UK version of Horror of Dracula? Simply titled Dracula with a nicely embellished D in the main title. When you're constantly citing yourselves as cinema aficianadoes...*earn it!* :)

What part of Turner """""CLASSIC""""" Movies don't you get?? CLASSICS! I watched The Scarlet Letter today and quite enjoyed it and Gish. Enjoyed Nosferatu last night as well. They are the only 2 movies I have watched in the past 24 hours. They are great movies. Do you expect TCM to only program for you personally? There are plenty of CLASSIC movies presented by TCM that I don't want to see or watch but I certainly don't whine about it. Pick and choose plus find other outlets in life. I am reading a fine history book right now that I took a quick break from. Plenty of other stuff to do other than get on and whine about programming. I thoroughly appreciate the WIDE variety of movies from many decades that TCM gives us the choice to view or not to view whether silent, talky, crummy, boring or utterly brilliant or somewhere in between. It is a tremendous smorgasbord of delight. Gadzooks!!

I like days like today. !

A mixed bag of older films, which we can watch or not watch, or half-way watch, without the whole day being ruined with all films of the same kind that only 2% of the viewers like.

This way, at least 80% of the viewers will like 2 or more of these. :)

I know that number is correct because I just made it up. :)

The movie that is on right now has three separate stories. I love old films like this. Every story is different.

I love the word gadzooks!! Ranks right up there with deeleewhomper, thingamabopper, digoombinating, and mysticafyingly rabumbifunky. That's another way to formbumicky my feelings about whining and whiners. Let's just say I thought the original thread post was icky and call it a day.

>Last nite appropriately at midnite I enjoyed F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu with a score composed by Hammer Studios' great John Bernard.

Actually, it's James Bernard.

But the rest of your post comes down to "Why doesn't TCM play what I want to see 24/7?"

It doesn't work that way. Goodness, you want the UK version of INVADERS FROM MARS, get the DVD. I got it a few years ago for about six dollars, both versions are there.

Re: this last Kirk Douglas film segment.....

Ohh, these trapeze movies upset me so much.

I interviewed Karl Wallenda in 1964 and I filmed him doing a very dangerous 3-level pyramid walk on the high wire, with his family, and with no net.

I had a 300 mm telephoto lens focused in on his face, and he was grinning the whole time. A strange mad type of half grin/half grimace. Very strange.

After that, I couldn't take it anymore. No more high wire acts for me. No long motorcycle jumps. No close flying airplanes at air shows. My nerves just can't take it.

Does anyone else here have a phobia about watching such dangerous acts? I saw Karl's last walk on CBS News. He was a great guy, very kind, very friendly.

>FredCDobbs said: The movie that is on right now has three separate stories. I love old films like this. Every story is different.

Yes, The Story Of Three Loves (1953) is one I hadn't seen. Moira Shearer is a favorite of mine and once again she was beautiful both in appearance and dance. What Ms. Shearer does so well is draw you into her world when she dances. You can see her character living the part as she is dancing.

Unfortunately, I had a meeting to attend and missed the end of the first story along with the other two - but for the last minute. Now I'll have to watch it all over again. That can't be too bad, can it?

>FredCDobbs said about his filming and watching: Does anyone else here have a phobia about watching such dangerous acts?

I can't watch those reality shows where everyone is flying off of something and landing face first on the concrete: skateboards, bikes, jumping off rooftops.. I can't watch.

Nik Wallenda , as you probably know, walked across the Falls last year on a high wire. It was the first time ever. I debated whether to go down and watch him but because 100,000 + people where down there decided not to and watched him live on TV instead.

Even watching him on TV made my stomach turn. Just seeing the Falls up close (which I have seen more times than I remember) can sometimes make you dizzy, let alone seeing someone on a high wire walk over them, not for me!

I was flipping around and stopped at TCM to see what was on - the girl dancing with the guy sketching had just started . That caught my daughter's attention and we watched the rest of the scene. Simple but very beautiful. We came back later to see if it was still on and caught the extremly tense trapeez act with Kirk Douglas and we were glued to that too. We'll be on the lookout for a replay of this movie in the future!

Anything to do with heights gets my palms sweating! I can't watch that recent commercial with the rock-climbing girl - standing on that little rock tower. Ugh!

> Last nite appropriately at midnite I enjoyed F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu with a score composed by Hammer Studios' great John Bernard. Actually, it's James Bernard. But the rest of your post comes down to "Why doesn't TCM play what I want to see 24/7?" It doesn't work that way. Goodness, you want the UK version of INVADERS FROM MARS, get the DVD. I got it a few years ago for about six dollars, both versions are there.

Thank you for the correction. Yes, I meant James Bernard. TCM is constantly blowing their own horn but not living up to it...imho. Example: Hammer Studios' 1958 Dracula aka. Horror of Dracula. I grabbed the BFI restoration print and just watched it tonite. A great restoration job but what I took notice of was at least 3 shots I had never seen before. Two when Van Helsing is staking Lucy and a shot of a desintegrating Dracula in the sunlight with him moving his not quite desintegrated hand down his face. Never saw it before. TCM needs to earn it's rep by showing the best possible...and complete...print of such a landmark horror film as opposed to an older not quite complete americanized print.

Happy Birthday to your grandson, Geminigirl !

From what I know about you from the boards here, he's a lucky little boy to have you for a grandma.

(Maybe when he's older -although you don't say how old he is, maybe now's the time - he can watch "Night of the Hunter" with you. Juicy role for Lillian Gish as savvy kind grandmotherly lady.)

> That's odd. When I saw it the first time as a kid, those scenes were in it. Back in '58. And at the Park theater in little ol' Lincoln Park, Michigan! Sepiatone

I'm saying I saw some shots that are simply not in the americanized cut. Anyone with any expertise on the BFI restored cut of Hammer's Dracula please feel free to chime in. I remember reading right here that there were additional shots added to the Van Helsing Lucy staking scene. But if I'm wrong I wait to be corrected. ;)

> That's odd. When I saw it the first time as a kid, those scenes were in it. Back in '58. And at the Park theater in little ol' Lincoln Park, Michigan! Sepiatone

> I'm saying I saw some shots that are simply not in the americanized cut. Anyone with any expertise on the BFI restored cut of Hammer's Dracula please feel free to chime in. I remember reading right here that there were additional shots added to the Van Helsing Lucy staking scene. But if I'm wrong I wait to be corrected

But if there are shots not present in the americanized cut *then it is the restored UK cut of Hammer Studios' 1958 Dracula that TCM oughta be showing.*

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings