Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cody1949

ACTORS & ACTRESSES ALIVE DURING TV ERA WHO AVOIDED IT.

Whatever conclusion is drawn here, this list is probably a lot shorter than the list of actors and actresses who STARTED on television and went on to make movies.

Sepiatone

*Marilyn Monroe appeared on the Jack Benny Program and Rita Hayworth appeared on the Carol Burnett Show.*

I seem to recall that Marilyn was the subject of one of Edward R. Murrow's show, along with her then (celebrity) husband, but not sure if it was ball player or the play baller (j/k...playwright).

*Definitely William Powell avoided television.*

*So did Virginia Weidler. And Lucille Bremer.*

*All three of these MGM stars retired from show business by their own choosing, and they stayed away for good.*

Yes, and I'm thinking that Deanna Durbin would also have avoided TV, as she did show biz in general. But I wonder if being totally retired should count, because it's not TV specifically that you are avoiding, but any work in general.

Jack Paar liked to tell this story:

Cary Grant asked for a ticket to the Tonight Show, but insisted he not be introduced from the audience.

During the show, Paar announced he was going into the audience to interview people. He saw Grant grimace.

Paar moved to where Grant was sitting, and saw Grant was getting downright angry.

Paar stopped by the now-furious Grant and leaned over...

Across Grant and held out his microphone to the guy sitting next to him.

For the next five minutes he proceeded to interview some Joe Shmoe, never acknowledging the presence of Cary Grant in the middle of the TV screen.

LOL.

I sympathize with Grant in the situation, but I still find it hilarious and wish I could see it. I was a kid when Paar was on but I was aware of him enough that it sounds totally like something he'd do.

slaytonf wrote

>Was it a concert produced for television, or a concert performed and recorded that was later shown on TV?

If I remember right it was filmed for TV and sponsored by Kraft Cheese. Neither Marlene nor her daughter were particularly pleased with it, but I guess it payed the bills. I remember reading that because it was TV, there were lots of cuts and retakes and so forth and such and Marlene had trouble building a connection with the audience who were mostly seat fillers. I don;t know why they didn't get actual fans in those seats--it might have been more like a real concert.

> I don;t know why they didn't get actual fans in those seats--it might have been more like a real concert.

Maybe they got ALL her fans, and STILL needed seat fillers!

Sepiatone

Sepiatone wrote

>Maybe they got ALL her fans, and STILL needed seat fillers!

Don't dis my Dietrich! :)

Marlene made a good living as a concert entertainer in Vegas and elsewhere all through the 50's and 60's. (She even won a Tony for her one woman show on Broadway in '67 or '68). Granted, by the time this was filmed, it was 1971 or 72 and things were starting to slow down, (including Marlene herself, due to alcoholism and pill use) but she still had a pretty good following, right up to the end.