Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JANUARY SCHEDULE IS UP!

Looks like a great month! Lots of unusual oldies and silents, the favorite film of my childhood (Journey to the Center of the Earth), my favorite Mel Brooks movie (The Twelve Chairs), and, for those of you who missed it, Cairo is back!

There are a few fun things thrown in, too. Jane Withers gets an evening, and it includes three of her Fox films. Merchant Ivory's classic THE REMAINS OF THE DAY is back. Crawford's month-long retrospective means that her entire MGM and Warner Brothers catalogue gets dusted off (unfortunately her RKO thriller SUDDEN FEAR is absent). And I was happy to see a Paramount offering from the 1930s starring Tallulah Bankhead, directed by George Cukor.

I'm looking forward to The Loves of Pharaoh, a silent directed by Lubitsch. I can't resist any movie that has an Ethiopian king in it! And a mini-tribute to Luise Rainer, in the month of her 104th birthday.

>a mini-tribute to Luise Rainer, in the month of her 104th birthday.

Yes. I was glad to see that scheduled, too.

And did you see that there is a new installment of Private Screenings and the focus is on Robert Osborne, who seems to be interviewed by Alec Baldwin. Glad Alec is on hand for this.

On another note, the Maisie series on Saturdays is followed by the Hildegarde Withers series. And there is one day entirely devoted to Philo Vance films and Jim Bannon as Jack Packard-- I LOVE A MYSTERY, etc.

For the most part, the programmers did a swell job with January's offerings.

I'm going to have to make room on my DVR/Cable box. I'm at 96% now! Btw, I spotted Robert O. at a reception tonight, an opening of an exhibition of the works of the late great caricaturist Al Hirschfeld.

I have waited long for: *Anastasia* (1956) to appear! It is a wonderful movie with excellent performances.

I love: *Gambit* (1966) very much because it is not what it seems. It is a comfortable little movie which is silly and fun.

I am happy to see: *Tarnished Lady* (1931) airing.

A day of Philo Vance movies! :)

Hildegarde Withers movies on Saturdays! :)

I wonder what happened to Mary Astor as SOTM? It was announced over at Silver Screen Oasis last month. Someone apparently had the wrong information. I can take or leave Joan (have seen just about everything she's done) so I wont be tuning in much to see her films. Too bad they cant iron out the rights issues with Letty Lynton. I would tune in for that.....

Does look like there are some good things to look forward to. I havent seen Anastasia in many years..........

>I wonder what happened to Mary Astor as SOTM?

Her stint as SOTM was postponed (perhaps one or more of her films are in restoration and not available just yet) but she will likely get her due later this year.

I would like to point out 3 seriously rare airings. 2 not seen in at least 9 years!

One stars Robert Woolsey in his only solo effort without Bert Wheeler and loosely based on the stage play POPPY which starred W C Fields and Robert Woolsey.

7:45 AM on Thursday January 9th

*_Everything's Rosie (1931)_*

A carnival con artist tries to mend his ways when his adopted daughter gets engaged.

Dir: Clyde Bruckman Cast: Robert Woolsey , Anita Louise , John Darrow .

BW-67 mins, TV-G, CC

------------------------------

Two starring Richard Dix

3:30 PM on Thursday January 2nd

*_Day Of Reckoning (1933)_*

A man's nagging wife drives him to crime.

Dir: Charles Brabin Cast: Richard Dix , Madge Evans , Conway Tearle .

BW-69 mins, TV-PG,

7:00 AM on Thursday January 21st

*_Special Investigator (1936)_*

A crooked criminal lawyer discovers his brother has been killed by one of the gangsters he kept out of prison.

Dir: Louis King Cast: Richard Dix , Margaret Callahan , Erik Rhodes .

BW-61 mins, TV-G

-------------------------------------

Yancey

The evening of Wednesday, January 29th and the early morning hours of Thursday, January 30th are devoted to three of the 2013 honorary Academy Award recipients. There are two Angela Lansbury movies ("The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Harvey Girls"), two Steve Martin efforts ("Pennies from Heaven" and "Father of the Bride") and two films featuring the work of costume designer Piero Tosi ("I Compagni" and "Le Notti Bianche").

• 1 month later...