Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Master of the World

FlyBackTransformer

Lotta good Vincent Price fare coming on like that. Last time I watched MOTW on TCM it didn't seem quite as bad as it has in previous viewings. I like the way Robur details the specifics of his flying warship albatross. The whirling blades on the top providing lift as well as a hull made of compressed paper treated with dextrose? Not too shabby. :) Of course the best thing about AIPs Master of the World is Les Baxter's fantastic music..

I remember Vinnie plugging this movie on some kid show I watched in L.A. back in '61. I also remember getting my parents to take me to go see it, and then thinking afterward that it sure did remind me of another Jules Verne-based movie I had seen before about a guy who had invented a submarine. ;)

I do not like Strock (Bronson) sabotaging the Albatross at the end as I always rout for Price's Robur all the way whenever I watch this. I gotta remember for future reference that the hull of the Albatross is made of compressed paper impregnated with clay and dextrin. That'll do 'er. :) But seriously, Bronson shoulda beat the crap outta Frankham and Henry Hull never gave a more annoying performance unless you wanna count his playing Coop's mentor in The Fountainhead. :)

I am a person who appreciates Vincent Price for his work and for his philanthropy and his humanity, etc. But, I found the film boring. And, I expect Sir Cedric did also. I could never say that about some of the horror stuff- nor certainly not about `Dragonwyck' nor 'Leave Her to Heaven? or the film with Mitchum and Russell where he is the fading movie star - 'His Kind of Woman'?

> I am a person who appreciates Vincent Price for his work and for his philanthropy and his humanity, etc. But, I found the film boring. And, I expect Sir Cedric did also. I could never say that about some of the horror stuff- nor certainly not about `Dragonwyck' nor 'Leave Her to Heaven? or the film with Mitchum and Russell where he is the fading movie star - 'His Kind of Woman'?

The film is what it is...most definitely bad..It shoulda been a lot better. The problem is not Vincent Price but the film. The special effects with the Albatross in flight are particularly poor. It looks like they suspended a model in front of a projection screen. Very poor. Even so the Albatross is well-conceived. I think the interior sets are also pretty good. Still it is a lousy effort on the part of AIP...but that Les Baxter score is beautiful and timeless.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings