_JANUARY 17_

THE SHINING HOUR (1938)

THE ICE FOLLIES OF 1939 (1939)

STRANGE CARGO (1940)

SUSAN AND GOD (1940)

REUNION IN FRANCE (1942)

ABOVE SUSPICION (1943)

HOLLYWOOD CANTEEN (1944)

JIMMY FUND AT HOME WITH JOAN CRAWFORD (1953)

_JANUARY 23_

MILDRED PIERCE (1945)

HUMORESQUE (1946)

FLAMINGO ROAD (1949)

THE DAMNED DON?T CRY (1950)

POSSESSED (1947)

IT'S A GREAT FEELING (1949)

_JANUARY 24_

HARRIET CRAIG (1950)

GOODBYE, MY FANCY (1951)

THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS (1952)

TORCH SONG (1953)

QUEEN BEE (1955)

AUTUMN LEAVES (1956)

THE STORY OF ESTHER COSTELLO (1957)

_JANUARY 30_

THE BEST OF EVERYTHING (1959)

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? (1962)

DELLA (1964)

STRAIT-JACKET (1964)

TROG (1970)

THE KARATE KILLERS (1967)

_JANUARY 31_

THE CARETAKERS (1963)

BERSERK! (1967)

The nice thing about this is that some of Joan's lesser seen films will be aired. It has been several years since SUSAN AND GOD showed up on TCM. And THE ICE FOLLIES OF 1939 is a guilty pleasure. HUMORESQUE is another excellent vehicle for her, teaming the actress with John Garfield.

I just finished watching two Joan Crawford films, DAISY KENYON and SUDDEN FEAR neither of which will be shown on TCM. I was really impressed with Joan's acting in both films, (although long in the tooth for the roles) she was really a good actress & pulled it off.

I think her role in THE WOMEN perfectly suited her, she definitely added to the film. Although I think MILDRED PIERCE was her best performance, DAISY KENYON makes a perfect "double feature" to go along with it.

I'm just kind of puzzled as to why she's such an icon to gay men. Is it because she looks kind of mannish? (all women look mannish as they age, while as men age they seem more womanly)

While I have heard of a few of them, I have never seen a Joan Crawford movie. I have seen Trog when I was a kid, but I only remember Trog himself. I've already done some rudimentary research into her films, as well as those of Bette Davis. I was leaning toward Mildred Pierce (my daughter may be interested in a good example of a not-so-good daughter). So in honor of the SOTM, I'll pencil in Mildred for a family viewing in January!

I think that she's a gay icon because of her bitchy roles, especially when she got older. She usually portrayed a tough as nails broad who down deep you rooted for. And I think some of it has to do with Faye Dunaway's portrayal in Mommie Dearest. My late brother, who was gay, told me that the wire hanger scene was on a loop at one place he frequented.

But this is speculation. I'm a woman who's now a senior citizen.

I have to agree. Not exactly an earth shattering choice. Joan has been chosen SOTM several times and her films are constantly on TCM throughout the year. Unless something else is going on in Jan. I wont be tuning in much. Feb either (due to Oscar month) Ho-hum.........

The last time Crawford was SOTM was in August of 2002. There are plenty of her early movies on the schedule, more than a few likely TCM premieres, and other than Sudden Fear and Daisy Kenyon (both jealously guarded by Fox), nearly all of her best movies are on there. I'd rather have seen George Sanders or some other actor who's never gotten the honor, but if they're going to present one of the tried and true greats, Crawford seems about as good a choice as any. The mere fact that there are 64 selections speaks volumes about the length and scope of her illustrious career.

>The mere fact that there are 64 selections speaks volumes about the length and scope of her illustrious career.

Yes, I do agree. She was at MGM for 18 years and there was not one year between 1925 and 1943 where the studio didn't put her in at least two movies. Usually actresses get loaned out or they go on suspension or they take time off for pregnancy, but not Joan Crawford. She was a work horse, and MGM utilized her fully.

She continued to work often after her MGM days. From 1944 to 1972, the only years she did not appear on screen were 1948, 1960 and 1966.

So yeah, I would call that illustrious!

That's an interesting point that you brought up; the celebrities who become gay icons. I am curious as to who else is on the list; I know of Cher, Diana Ross, Judy Garland and Bette Davis...............I also wonder what criteria must be met in order for someone to be added to this list.

>What happened to MARY ASTOR being Jan's SOTM?

Mary Astor's stint as SOTM was postponed (speculation is that restoration of one of her films may be the reason why).

Don't forget Barbara Streisand. As for criteria; well if we look at your list all of the gals other than Davis are singers. So I think that is a key criterion. Their love of show tunes is a driving factor.

As for Davis; It might have something to do with the male impersonators.

This is hardly an exploration of new vistas. How many times has Crawford been SOTM?

This'll be the third time, which will make her even with Garbo, Stanwyck, Doris Day and Greer Garson. Only Stanwyck among those had a film resume remotely comparable to Crawford's. Given the length and breadth of Crawford's career, three SOTM tributes in 20 years, the last prior to this one in 2002, isn't what I'd call excessive.