Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Crawford as SOTM January 2014

TopBilled

I was lucky enough to catch "Sudden Fear" on youtube a few months ago. The performances of Crawford, Palance, and Grahame are so good, I watched it 3 days in a row! I wanted to post the link, but I just checked youtube, and it appears that it has been removed.................

I think SUDDEN FEAR is available on disc from the folks at Kino, who usually lease films to TCM. Somehow it wound up outside the Turner Library, thought it would be nice if it could air on cable sometime. She received an Oscar nomination and it's truly one of her standout performances. It was the first film she made after leaving Warner Brothers, a profit-sharing deal with Hughes at RKO. It was a smash hit and she made a bundle of money on it.

I was lucky enough to catch "Sudden Fear" on youtube a few months ago. The performances of Crawford, Palance, and Grahame are so good, I watched it 3 days in a row! I wanted to post the link, but I just checked youtube, and it appears that it has been removed.................

I've probably seen close to 50 Crawford movies by now, and other than Mildred Pierce and (possibly) Flamingo Road and The Damned Don't Cry, Sudden Fear may be her best film. Geminigirl is absolutely right to also note the fine performances of Palance and Grahame, and the way that Crawford schemed to foil Palance's plot against her made for one of the more satisfying endings to a noir I can think of.

I read that Crawford insisted Jack Palance be cast in SUDDEN FEAR because she was a fan of his performance in PANIC IN THE STREETS. As much as I like Cliff Robertson, I think Crawford should have had Palance work with her again on AUTUMN LEAVES. They have sizzling chemistry.

She did not get along with Grahame on the set, and this adds to the tension that occurs in scenes involving their two characters. It probably makes their work better-- both pulling out the stops and making sure they do not upstage each other.

I know very little about facebook and youtube accounts (and I don't wish to have one of either), but you are probably correct. If it wasn't a copyright issue, the powers that be saw the number of hits the film got, and took it down. Same thing with Wuthering Heights. These 2 films may eventually show up again, but with a price tag.....................

>the last prior to this one in 2002, isn't what I'd call excessive.

You also have to include three SUTS stints for Joan Crawford and I don't know how many 24 hour birthday tributes on March 23 so the repeats are certainly resounding for La Crawford.

skimperpep, if you stick around here long enough you'll see that for the "major" stars, the number of repeats are almost directly proportional to the length of a star's career and the number of entries in his or her filmography. With over 80 features to her name, in which she was the lead or co-lead in the great majority of them, it's inevitable that she's going to get more showtimes here than Carole Lombard or Marilyn Monroe. That's just mathematics.

It's also Hollywood film history. If TCM stopped showing Joan Crawford movies, because people already know who she is and may have seen some of her screen roles before, then it would be ignoring a large chunk of classic Hollywood history.

I agree that some of her films air often on TCM-- probably THE WOMEN is the most excessively broadcast title, appearing on the channel almost every month of the year-- but these are still excellent motion pictures with excellent performances from Crawford and her costars.

> if you stick around here long enough you'll see that for the "major" stars, the number of repeats are almost directly proportional to the length of a star's career and the number of entries in his or her filmography.

I wonder why people incorrectly assume that because one is relatively new to the TCM board that they have no clue in regards to TCM programming. Well, chalk up another misconception and this one goes to AndyM108.

I've been a regular viewer of Turner Classic Films since 2003. I think I'm aware of how they program MGM and WB stars of the Joan Crawford ilk. The point remains that there is too much Joan Crawford on TCM regardless of the luminosity of her star. Besides, just because they have access to her MGM and WB catalogs doesn't mean it has to be spoon fed to us and dressed up in promos like it isn't second hand news.

I am sure that there are plenty of people that would watch TCM to see SONG OF THE SOUTH, and just as many willing to buy a DVD copy of it in North America. So if TCM's goal was just to make money, I am sure it could rake in quite a nice profit by broadcasting this controversial title and pushing home video sales of SONG OF THE SOUTH through various platforms.

All of this is Hollywood film history-- and for some, certain titles are just as meaningful and valuable as other titles are to other people.

Getting back to Crawford, I am looking forward to her selections airing in January. She is one of those unique stars who made hit studio films in the silent era, the early sound era, the war years, the immediate post-war years and the period when television was suddenly in every home. There is a lot of film history to be appreciated and just as much profit to be gained by making her Star of the Month. And for those who have seen many of her films already, I am sure there is still something new to be found when examining her techniques as an actress.

Edited by: TopBilled on Oct 20, 2013 8:07 PM

It's irrelevant whether you think Andy makes more sense because you don't base it on any factual evidence.So you prefer red to orange? Big whoop.

Crawford's films are shown more because their rights are cheaper to obtain than say the catalog of Claudette Colbert.

TCM is a bottom line business. They will do whatever is most expedient in terms $$$.

They don't want to air it because they are fearful of a backlash and a loss of cable subscribers. Oh, but they are historians first and foremost after they protect their number of subscribers. lol

Everything you said about La Crawford's films can be applied to Claudette Colbert. Ask yourself why she has never been Star of the Month if TCM is so philanthropic?

> Song of the South (1946) is also Hollywood film history. Was hasn't TCM ever showed that film? They are not historians, first and foremost. They are in business to make $$$$.

Because the Disney studio, who owns the film, refuses to lease the film to TCM (or anyone else for that matter).

>Because the Disney studio, who owns the film, refuses to lease the film to TCM (or anyone else for that matter).

The film has been released on video in its entirety in various European, Latin American, and Asian countries In the the UK it was released on PAL VHS tape in 1982 and again in 1991, and in Japan it appeared on NTSC VHS, Beta, and laserdisc in 1985 then again in 1990 with subtitles during songs. (Under Japanese copyright law it is now in the public domain.)

From wikipedia.

It must be a pecuiarly American problem because the rest of the world doesn't think it is taboo.

You think that what Andy assumed makes more sense?

That I am not aware of how TCM favors certain stars.

ROFL

"Favors" meaning they are MGM, WB & RKO stars whose film rights are cheaper to obtain. Bottom line: TCM airs those stars more because it costs less $$$.

> So if TCM's goal was just to make money, I am sure it could rake in quite a nice profit by broadcasting this controversial title and pushing home video sales of SOUTH OF THE SOUTH through various platforms.

On the contrary, Disney owns all of the rights so therefore 99% of the profits from home sales would go to Disney. You make my point, TCM would not air it, even if they could, because they would not profit from it.

lol

>All of this is Hollywood film history-- and for some, certain titles are just as meaningful and valuable as other titles are to other people.

You need to tell that to TCM programmers led by Charlie Tabesh who seem to prefer to run Crawford's films more so than say Claudette Colbert et al. How many times has Claudette Colbert, Linda Darnell or Susan Hayward been Star of the Month?

You say rights issues? I merely chuckle.

TCM has aired plenty of films starring Susan Hayward, Linda Darnell and Claudette Colbert over the years. It is possible that any one of these ladies could be Star of the Month in the future. In fact, Darnell and Colbert have been featured during Summer Under the Stars already (not sure about Hayward).

I don't understand why we need to slam TCM and its programmers for selecting Joan Crawford as Star of the Month in January. For those who are not Crawford fans, there are still 26 other nights in January where TCM is airing other programming.

>I don't understand why we need to slam TCM and its programmers for selecting Joan Crawford as Star of the Month in January.

It's your opinion that any slamming is occurring. I am pointing out the fact that TCM has once again chosen not to have Linda Darnell, Claudette Colbert or Susan Hayward as Star of the Month. One day (SUTS) is not the same as SOTM. There is a reason why TCM has chosen to go to the Crawford well once again. Just because that reason may be immaterial to you does not mean the question has no relevance to others.

Does one have to always toot the TCM horn on these boards?

Archived