Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Joan Crawford as SOTM January 2014

I think part of the reason the classic era was so great was that there were stars.And some stars were bigger and more popular than others. When there are lists of greatest actors, those higher on the lists tend to get more days/months in their honor. That's how it should be frankly. Stars drive most entertainment industries.

And although some of us have watched TCM for decades, there are those who have just began to tune in. I personally have gotten friends to give it a shot. And they haven't seen every single film of every actor. And the great movies are great for a reason. They should be shown more often.

Just like a radio station will always play singles more often than album cuts. And if you want to hear the album cut or see the obscure film, you normally have to buy it.

I've been a regular viewer of Turner Classic Films since 2003. I think I'm aware of how they program MGM and WB stars of the Joan Crawford ilk. The point remains that there is too much Joan Crawford on TCM regardless of the luminosity of her star.

And I think there's way too much Mickey Rooney, Bing Crosby, Liz Taylor, Doris Day and Elvis Presley. We all can't have our way all the time.

Look, I can also think of many stars I'd rather see honored than Crawford: Hayward, Lupino, Sanders, and others too many to mention. But since TCM *does* recycle many stars for SOTM honors, IMO Crawford's as good a choice for a third go-around (and the first since 2002) as any. And since there's a big selection of her silents and pre-codes on the list, it's hardly going to be nothing but the Same Old Same Old. Personally I'm looking forward to it as a way of making me forget the 31 Days of Oscar to follow. (Brother, if you want to talk about overexposure, try *that* month. . .)

As Elizabeth Taylor stated in "Butterfield 8", 'You can't have everything in life, be grateful for the things that you do get..................'

Edited by: Geminigirl on Oct 21, 2013 1:02 AM

Edited by: Geminigirl on Oct 21, 2013 1:03 AM

>And if you want to hear the album cut or see the obscure film, you normally have to buy it.

Geralddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd,

I am buying TCM. Would you like to see my cable bill? That alone gives me the prerogative to voice my displeasure.

But thank you for your long winded way of saying that it's OK for TCM to shaft Linda Darnell, Claudette Colbert and Susan Hayward so that Joan Crawford is given another brighter than bright spotlight. Let's just continue to beat a dead horse TCM and trot out the same films. The fanaticism to constantly have the films she is in aired by TCM is not unlike this.

Alright Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up

Fade to black

Please don't equate great acting with Joan Crawford. A star yes, a great actor? Let me chuckle, again.

I agree that TCM shows more MGM, WB, and RKO stars because it is easier and cheaper for them to obtain the rights to these movies than Fox, Columbia or Universal films.

So Andy was only half right; Joan is featured a lot at TCM because of her notable career AND because much of that career was at MGM and WB.

PS: I would like Hayward or Darnell to be SOTM but it is my understanding that there are issues with getting access to some of their best films. Of course it could be that TCM is just unwilling to foot the bill.

We've covered some of this territory in other threads. Darnell & Hayward are not going to become Star of the Month until after TCM honors these Fox contract players first (probably in this order): Marilyn Monroe, Tyrone Power, Shirley Temple, Janet Gaynor and Gene Tierney.

In the meanwhile, I think it is reasonable to expect Darnell to be featured again for Summer Under the Stars and for Hayward to have the occasional birthday tributes and primetime spotlights.

Another thing we need to add is that Joan Crawford gets little exposure on Fox Movie Channel because she only made two Fox films during her entire career. And she gets no exposure on the Encore channels because she only made one film at Universal (it was not a western or a suspense film) and she made no pictures at Paramount. So there is no where else to see her films on cable except on TCM.

>We've covered some of this territory in other threads. Darnell & Hayward are not going to become Star of the Month until after TCM honors these Fox contract players first

Says who? Are you a programmer for Turner Classic Movies?

Rofl

> So there is no where else to see her films on cable except on TCM.

Thank heaven.

Now that Hayward and Darnell are being mentioned in the same sentence, I am forced to say that, IMHO, Hayward had the far more stellar film career.

*We've covered some of this territory in other threads. Darnell & Hayward are not going to become Star of the Month until after TCM honors these Fox contract players first (probably in this order): Marilyn Monroe, Tyrone Power, Shirley Temple, Janet Gaynor and Gene Tierney.*

I don't know how that determination can be made so matter-of-factly. If anything, it just shows areas where big stars are being overlooked by TCM, if only because they did not do the bulk of their films for MGM, WB or RKO.

Not that Joan Crawford is unworthy, but TCM regularly spotlights her MGM and Warners movies all year (MILDRED PIERCE probably beats out THE WOMEN for most often shown), so it seems somewhat superfluous to have her again as SOTM, especially when equally worthy stars (more worthy, imho, when you consider they haven't been selected even once) can be chosen, and the rights to sufficient numbers of their films cleared.

*In the meanwhile, I think it is reasonable to expect Darnell to be featured again for Summer Under the Stars and for Hayward to have the occasional birthday tributes and primetime spotlights.*

Well it would have been nice to have had a birthday tribute to Darnell last week, since it would have been her 90th Birthday, AND they were featuring mostly 20th Century Fox movies (with her as costar of one!) in a tribute to Tyrone Power. Seems they could've accomodated both, and show the four films Ty and Linda did together, since I believe TCM has aired at least 3 of the 4.

*Another thing we need to add is that Joan Crawford gets little exposure on Fox Movie Channel because she only made two Fox films during her entire career. And she gets no exposure on the Encore channels because she only made one film at Universal (it was not a western or a suspense film) and she made no pictures at Paramount. So there is no where else to see her films on cable except on TCM.*

This makes no sense as a reason to feature Joan as SOTM on TCM.

*Now that Hayward and Darnell are being mentioned in the same sentence, I am forced to say that, IMHO, Hayward had the far more stellar film career.*

Hayward arriving at Fox at the end of the 40s is one of the reasons Darnell's career began to slip at this point. Since Linda was not a favorite of Zanuck's, and was rarely first choice for important roles, Susan's similar image caused many parts to go to her. These movies sealed Hayward's rise to one of the biggest boxoffice stars of the 50s, and sped up Linda's eclipse at the studio.

The character she played, Gloria Wandrous made that statement. As a classic film fan, I figured you knew I meant her character, not Ms. Taylor herself. Please calm down; you are taking this Crawford thing way too seriously. I too, would like to see Susan Hayward as star of the month. Hopefully she will be one day......................

Well replacing a SOTM (Mary Astor in this case), with a major MGM or WB star (both in the case of Crawford) is the easiest route for the programmers to take since they have many films readily available.

To me is the most likely reason Crawford was chosen (yet again).

This is a discussion forum. I'm not on here to demand anything from TCM but to discuss choices the programmers made. My emotions or any lack thereof are not the issue. It's so obvious when someone tries to obfuscate the issue. So please cease the patronizing comments.

Heaven's to Betsy, I'm not up on my Liz Taylor filmography, what shall become of me? That insipid movie was a car wreck. LOL.

However, the implication was clear. My response: Lay off the fortune cookie proverbs and don't let "characters" speak for you.

Grazie mille !

I think we could also put Clifton Webb and Robert Wagner ahead of Darnell and Hayward, in terms of the pecking order for future Stars of the Month from Fox. This is not a slight against these actresses and their fans-- but a great likelihood, since Webb's films tend to be crowd pleasers and he has a very identifiable and marketable persona; and since Wagner is a friend of Robert Osborne and a friend of TCM.

The fact that Crawford's films seem to exclusively air on TCM is not meant to be an argument that she should be Star of the Month again-- but rather is a statement that shows her fans can come to TCM to see her films; they cannot go to FMC or Encore, like fans of other stars can.

I've written this before (in this thread and other threads) that TCM really does a fine job trying to showcase the works of as many artists as possible. The programmers are not deliberately setting out to snub Darnell or Hayward-- at least my opinion is that they are not doing that.

>Now that Hayward and Darnell are being mentioned in the same sentence, I am forced to say that, IMHO, Hayward had the far more stellar film career.

Are you saying that Hayward gave better performances? Or that Hayward had better opportunities? It seems a bit difficult to compare two actresses who differed a great deal in terms of technique.

jamesjazzguitar,

I think Crawford happened to fit the bill in terms of a star that had plenty of silent films and talkies that may not otherwise air during the 31 Days of Oscar. The previous January, Loretta Young was chosen. She, like Crawford, received an Oscar in the 1940s, years after paying her dues in Hollywood. Mary Astor would be another logical choice here, and maybe we will have to wait until January 2015 for Astor's turn.

> Well replacing a SOTM (Mary Astor in this case), with a major MGM or WB star (both in the case of Crawford) is the easiest route for the programmers to take since they have many films readily available.

Mary Astor's SOTM celebration was postponed and will happen in a few months.

It happened after Astor had been announced, so there may have been a problem getting a title and TCM opted to wait until the title was available.

I recall Clifton Webb's crowd pleasing performance in Laura as positively explosive. Crowds flocked to see him and could care less about the angelic Gene Tierney. rofl

Gene Tierney trumps Webb in any pecking order for SOTM.

Robert Wagner and actor are two irreconcilable concepts. RJ must be the least worthy candidate of any classic film actor in all of Hollywood. He can always been seen hawking for Reverse Mortgage if one is desperate.

>The programmers are not deliberately setting out to snub Darnell or Hayward-- at least my opinion is that they are not doing that

The net result is the same. Little or no diversity in their SOTM choices. Safe, oft-repeated choices are not what loyal viewers expect from a supposed cutting edge classic film channel.

I guess the only cutting edge they possessed recently was to excise a slur Joan Crawford's character made in They All Kissed The Bride when referring to Japanese people. Here I believed that cute little promo that tells us that "he (the butcher) may cut but we don't"

Yep, TCM does not cut. Cue up the chuckle machine, again.

To be fair, I think THEY ALL KISSED THE BRIDE was edited by Sony, the company that now controls the Columbia classic film catalogue. This may be the only print available to TCM.

I am glad that TCM (and Molly Haskell who selected the picture several months ago) wanted to put it on the air at all. It's an entertaining romp, and most viewers can figure out how Joan's line was originally uttered.

It is scheduled again in January, so we will have to see if it is again the edited version.

The bottom line is that TCM showed an edited and cut version of a film contrary to what they espouse in that promo and what Robert O. says when he is finished with a guest programmer, "Now stay tuned for another film that is always uncut and commercial free here on TCM." Nothing will be any different in January.

Must you always be an apologist for TCM?