Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Blob

Sepiatone

We all know THIS one, don't we?

And can we all agree that it was pretty dumb? Especially looking back on it?

But isn't that, along with it being early Steve McQueen, the reason we LOVE it?

Well, that's why it works for ME. But just yesterday, I was flipping through the channels and ran across it's REMAKE, made in 1988 and was AMAZED!

They actually made a DUMBER version!

NOW, McQueen's old flick doesn't seem that dumb.

Sepiatone

I watch 88's The Blob as a 80's guilty pleasure. I practically grew up renting those types of movies every Tuesday and Thursday :-)

As for McQueen's, I like it okay, but not as much as the remake. One of those rare cases for me where I prefer the updated version. Likely more to do with "twilight memories" than the actual films.

There are worse ways to kill 90 minutes than watching either of these two IMO. Sci Fi, blobs, crazy deaths, lotsa nonsense. Not Casablanca, and neither tries to be :-)

If you don't care, would you edit your highlighted reply, I never stated That is why I will not watch it. I'm assuming its a typo in that it's part of your reply.

I watched the first theatrical release in my downtown theatre and its one of my best recollection of movies I've seen as a teenager. My goodness the scene with the man running down the street naked, the whole house burst into hysterical laughing.

Movie has a good one liner I need to post.

In the movie poster, the movie is rated GP instead of G - kind of rare to see that. Wouldn't that scare the daylights out of a 6 year old?

I saw the original Blob when I was around 6 yrs. old - on an old black and white TV. It was many years before I realized that the blob was actually red and not black. It scared the crap outta me for a long time - the idea of a gooey mass that once attached, you couldn't get off. And then it slowly eats you!! In my mind, that was much more terrifiying than any werewolf or vampire! I spent many a night watching the crack under my bedroom door, waiting for that protoplasmic zombie to come spurting through!

What's dumb about it is the way Hollywood tries to illustrate the teens as cool but innocent while making all the adults straight as boards.

Other than those characterizations, the movie is brilliant. One of the greatest, most imaginative, monsters ever created by Hollywood - including the way it's introduced (its origin). That monster is singularly scary.

Darkblue: What's dumb about it is the way Hollywood tries to illustrate the teens as cool but innocent while making all the adults straight as boards.

If you go by that criteria of things that make a movie "dumb" then you'd better include Rebel Without a Cause and probably a few dozen more good movies.

> a gooey mass that once attached, you couldn't get off.

I've had girlfriends like that. You're right, it IS scary! ;)

Never saw the '72 version, but now I HAVE TO, just to see what "****" are. I KNOW that they gotta be different than what I'VE always called "****".

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings