Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Burn Witch Burn was spooky

roverrocks

I had never seen Burn Witch Burn until tonight. That was a truly spooky movie. I may sleep with a light on tonight. Hopefully my wife will be home soon to guard the house and me. She's a very smart woman. Won't watch spooky movies or read Stephen King novels while I on the other hand like to be creeped out. Burn Witch Burn creeped me out good.

Hey, Roverrocks, thanks for enjoying one of the movies I most recommend as an unknown classic!

Saw this many years ago and felt that the clean-cut, wholesome Janet Blair was so perfect in this role. It brought a new dimension to said kinds of witchy women, because usually they are played by folks like Barbara Steele and having someone so Americana was just inspiration and made it more frightening.

I mean if Janet Blair could be a woman working spells in the kitchen, who knows what one's neighbor ladies were doing during their bridge game off-time.

The film also starred Kathleen Byron, who is notable as the mad, mad nun from "Black Narcissus" and that Margaret Johnson ? chick is also spooky as heck. Very atmospheric film and have you ever seen Curtis Harrington's "Night Tide" which has a similar feel?

I don't recall ANY movie creeping me out to the point of losing sleep. I'm not bragging about anything, mind you. It's just that I must realize it's "only a movie" and don't let it bother me.

But I DO prefer older movies of this sort. I've never seen the one in question, but I'm sure it doesn't overdo it like most modern movies. I don't need tons of CGI or horrid make-up or ghoulish looking unhinged jawed creepoids crawling on ceilings or any of the OTHER overused cliches they put in today's "horror" flicks. Good lighting, suspenseful pacing and good direction and writing fills the bill.

Sepiatone

Based on the trailer that TCM showed several times, I was hoping for something delightfully awful. Instead, I found it kind of blah, in that I found it kind of hard to care about any of these people.

Yes. I liked it too. Much better than expected. I had wanted to see this film for years. For some reason, I expected it to be sort of a campy, horror film with comedy. It wasnt at all. The last half hr was really good.........