Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you could recast Gone With The Wind?

>I would keep everyone except for Leslie Howard, who might be the worst casting choice in movie history. I'd put Tyrone Power in his place.

Ty Power was actually heavily considered for the role of Ashley, but Zanuck wouldn't loan him out to other studios. It's a shame, but Power's career probably would have been better off if he free lanced the way Cary Grant did.

The trend now on Broadway is to take movies and make musicals from them. So it's quite possible you might see a Broadway musical version of GWTW sometime soon. Soooooooo, with that in mind....

Hugh Jackman as Rhett, Laura Osnes as Scarlett, Mary Michael Patterson as Melanie, Mathew Broderick as Ashley, Queen Latifa as Mammy and Chantel Riley as Prissy.

Absolutely PERFECT reply to Fred's contention here, Vertigo2!

How he could equate the real personages of Washington and Lincoln with those of the characters in a fictionalize book/movie is also beyond me. Not to mention that both of those Presidents he mentioned have been depicted on film numerous times by numerous actors, themselves!

Nope, there was no logic in his statement, and I'm glad you called him on it.

(...THOUGH, now that you HAVE "called him on it", don't be surprised that he'll now place YOU on his ignore list TOO!!!)

LOL

Well, NOT that you'll be able to see MY answer to your little query here Fred, BUT I'm pretty darn sure that that's REAL Mr. Lincoln.

(...and who "surprisingly" HAS been portrayed most notably by Hank Fonda, Raymond Massey and a whole lot o' OTHER actors over the years..."silly" them!) LOL

Speaking of recasting, one if the WORST was Vince Vaughan 's Norman Bates, not that anyone could touch Anthony Perkins's great performance in "Psycho".

and on the subject of imaginary recasting - lighten up, folks - it's just a fun game for movie buffs - and clearly several posters are having fun mocking the notion in the first place e.g. Jack Elam as Rhett - hilarious!

Lew Ayers as Ashley ? Why didn't anybody think of that in 1939? I agree Leslie Howard was all wrong for it but the tests of the other actors I've seen are not much better. From his *Dr. Kildare* movies I think he could have done it.

Tyrone Power would also have been wonderful in the role and more believavle as a romantic figure. For me this is the fly in the buttermilk as far as casting goes. Ashley had to have some sex appeal to get to Scarlett as he did and Mr. Howard did not have it here.

As for modern actors: Sam Elliott telling Scarlet he doesn't give a damn-oh, Yum!

I know I've mentioned this before around here whenever Leslie Howard is mentioned in these sorts of threads about GWTW, wouldbe, but evidently at least one young lady of note back then thought he had sex appeal.

What I'm referring to again here is an interview with Lauren Bacall that I remember watching some time back, and in which she recounted watching this movie as a teenager when it was first released. She said she was SO much more attracted to Howard while watching it than she was to Gable.

(...btw, yeah, I agree...Ayes would have made a great Ashley Wilkes)