Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Westerns

smitty1931

Howard Hawks offered Cary Grant the role of Cherry Valance in "Red River", but Grant turned it down. I have to assume the role was a lot different then the one played by John Ireland. I know Hawks cut the part way down because of Ireland's drinking. But Grant had worked with Hawks a number of times in the past and would work again in the future.

Did Laurence Olivier ever make a western?

Humphrey Bogart seems out of place in a western-- but there he is cast as an outlaw in VIRGINIA CITY.

I also do not associate Pat O'Brien with westerns-- but yet he does appear in an episode of The Virginian television series in the 1960s, as a country doctor, and it seems to work.

Humphrey Bogart seems out of place in a western-- but there he is cast as an outlaw in VIRGINIA CITY.

Bogart was also billed with Cagney in The Oklahoma Kid. (1939). Somehow it failed to win a nomination for Best Picture of the Year.

>Bogart was also billed with Cagney in The Oklahoma Kid.

Thanks for mentioning that one. I haven't seen it but have heard about it.

Speaking of Cagney, I think he's wonderful in TRIBUTE TO A BAD MAN. That is one of my favorite mid-50s westerns and it would not be as great as it is without him. He should have made more westerns if you ask me!

> I know Jack Lemmon made one western with Glen Ford but I can't remember the name of it

It was called, appropriately enough, Cowboy

Lemmon also did an episode of TV's Zane Grey Theatre

> Did Lon Chaney or Peter Lorre Make a western?

Lorre did an episode of Wagon Train

Flynn was an adventurer throughout his life. That natural adventurous spirit of his embued his screen performances with an authenticity in larger-than-life heroic roles, no matter which action genre in which he worked, including westerns. Because of his uniqueness, he was the only non American-born actor who was a hit at the U.S. box office as a western hero.

That was not the case with Grant, though, to be fair, he was excellent in Gunga Din. Take a look at him, though, in The Howards of Virginia as an illustration of a costume film in which he looks completely out of place. That was never the case with Flynn.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings