Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM 20th Anniversary is coming- What would you like to see from TCM's past?

TCM will turn 20 years old on April 14, 2014 and in various interviews, staffers have been talking about how the channel will celebrate this milestone.

The celebration is likely to extend beyond just the day and could encompass a month or more.

Thinking back over the years, of material produced for the channel from interviews to graphics, what would you like to see?

FredC had a post over the weekend that got me thinking as well as a conversation I had with another poster via PM and that got me thinking about this thread.

I would love to see the Women of Noir interview that FredC was asking about. It was an interview done by Scott Glenn with a number of film fatales from the classic era of noir.

I would also love to see a retrospective of the graphics and how they changed over the years (a new interstitial for between films, perhaps?).

And lastly, I would love to see some of the older SOTM interstitials that used to air (modern actors talking about classic stars) and some of the older documentaries that TNT and TCM produced on various classic era stars that haven't aired in many years.

How about you?

Great idea for a thread!

I'd love to see a montage of some of Bob Osborne's and Ben Mankiewicz's wraparounds-- maybe even some with bloopers, if those were saved. And I would like to see some of the wraparounds filmed for early editions of The Essentials-- like when Molly Haskell was cohost.

And I would certainly enjoy a 24 hour marathon of Bob's Private Screenings series. That could even be repeated in August for a special day of Summer Under the Stars.

TB,

I was thinking of the graphics and thinking it would be cool if the staff could talk about the ideas behind the graphics, where they came from and why they chose the design.

Another cool interstitial, I think, would be the various staff members talking about what TCM means to them and why they wanted to work there and make the choices (graphics, programming, original programming, web related, etc) that they do and some of the things they have to consider when making those decisions.

Just a thought.

I'd like to see some replays of the "One Reel Wonders" -much better than the Cinemoi style short intro TCM has now. I'd also like to see the first wrap-around Bob Osborne ever did for TCM on April 14, 1994. It would also be great to see the original "100 years at the movies" short updated to 2014.

And please, crack open some of those movies you haven't shown in years - "Lights of New York", the Busby Berkeley documentary, some of the early talkie stuff that has gotten so displaced by repeats of 60's movies as of late.

Wouldn't April be a great month for TCM to finally get the rights to show Ceiling Zero or Letty Lynton or The Trial of Mary Dugan again?

There was a separate website TCM set up for the 15th that had all the old bumpers and intros through their history. You could pick a year and it would give you highlights and what was going on at TCM. When they upgraded the site it was lost.

It was great because you could see some of the looks of TCM. It would be nice if they would air some again anyway.

I'd vote for bringing back that website.

>Another cool interstitial, I think, would be the various staff members talking about what TCM means to them and why they wanted to work there and make the choices (graphics, programming, original programming, web related, etc) that they do and some of the things they have to consider when making those decisions.

Excellent idea. I think it would help viewers understand the process that goes into bringing TCM into our homes each day.

Why not replicate the lineup when TCM first debuted on April 14, 1994 for 48 hours?

That would be great to have as part of a longer celebration, though I'd also want to see them include the original introductions and followup commentary. Without that, the movies themselves may or may not be anything particularly special. It's not as if most of them aren't likely being shown any more these days.

When my former GF and I used to run bootleg 16mm TV shows from the 50's on college campuses in the 70's, we'd always get a much better response when our prints included the original commercials. Including them really brought back the feeling of traveling in a time machine, and I think you'd get the same feeling seeing the Bob we all know and love, only 20 years younger and without those 20 years of experience under his belt.

Here was the line-up of the first 48 hours of TCM being on the air (thanks to musicalnovelty for posting this a few years back:

*GONE WITH THE WIND* kicked off the channel's line up and was billed as" Complete Road Show version with Overture, Intermission and Exit Music, plus Rare Footage from the Atlanta 1964 Civil War Centennial Re-issue." 222 minutes.

*SINGIN' IN THE RAIN* (1952) plus deleted musical number "You Are My Lucky Star".

*100 Years at the Movies* repeated.

*GONE WITH THE WIND* repeated.

*SINGIN' IN THE RAIN* repeated.

*IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT* (1934)

*THE PETRIFIED FOREST* (1936)

*THE CAT PEOPLE* (1942)

Friday, April 15, 1994:

*THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR* (1936)

*THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE* (1946)

*THE INFORMER* (1935)

*THE PIRATE* (1948)

*CITIZEN KANE* (1941)

*CEILING ZERO* (1935)

*THE ASPHALT JUNGLE* (1950)

Greta Garbo trailers.

*ANNA CHRISTIE* (1930) - English language version.

*ANNA CHRISTIE* (1930) - German language version.

*ANNA KARENINA* (1935)

*LOVE* (1927) plus alternate ending.

"MGM Parade" #30 - Greta Garbo.

"MGM Parade" #31 - Greta Garbo.

*THE SINGLE STANDARD* (1929)

*AS YOU DESIRE ME* (1931)

Hollywood themed shorts.

We didn't get TCM on our provider until, I want to say 1997. I was still in the " B&W movies are old, I ain't watching that channel " phase. In fact, didn't watch my first movies on TCM until 1999-00. King Kong, The Birds and wait for it...North by Northwest :). they could show anything from the early days and it would be new to me. I wish I had watched TCM more between 1997-2003. It didn't become a huge staple for me until around 2004.

That is a stunning list of "First 48 Hous of Classic Films" for TCM to air.

Of course, by now, we've seen most of them many times. But they represent the "direction" in which TCM was heading back in those days, and the reason we subscribed to the channel (even though most of us already had AMC on basic cable).

What I would like to do now is post a list of some of my favorite classic TCM actors that we used to see quite often on TCM just a few years ago. I suggest for the 20th Anniversary, TCM should show their films every day for one full year. :)

Note: My Word document will automatically alphabetize names with the first name only, unless I type in the last names first, and that is too confusing for me. :)

This is not a complete list of classic actors..... it's a list of names I could think of when I was making up the list. :)

Abbott & Costello

Adolphe Menjou

Al Jolson

Alan Ladd

Alice White

Alida Valli

Ann Dvorak

Ann Harding

Ann Sothern

Anna May Wong

Anne Shirley

Anny Ondra

Audrey Totter

Barbara Stanwyck

Basil Rathbone

Bebe Daniels

Bela Lugosi

Bessie Love

Bette Davis

Buster Keaton

Cab Calloway

Carole Lombard

Cecil Kellaway

Cesar Romero

Charles Boyer

Charles Laughton

Charles Ruggles

Charley Grapewin

Claire Trevor

Clara Bow

Clark Gable

Claude Rains

Claudette Colbert

Conrad Nagel

Conrad Veidt

Constance Bennett

Dolores del Rio

Donald Crisp

Dorothy Lamour

Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

Edmund Lowe

Edna Mae Oliver

Edward Arnold

Edward G. Robinson

Erich von Stroheim

Errol Flynn

Evelyn Keyes

Flora Robson

Franchot Tone

Frank Morgan

Fred Astaire

Fred MacMurray

Fredric March

Gary Cooper

George Arliss

George Raft

George Sanders

Geraldine Fitzgerald

Gilbert Roland

Ginger Rogers

Greta Garbo

Groucho Marx

Harold Lloyd

Harry Carey

Hattie Mcdaniel

Hedy Lamarr

Helen Hayes

Helen Twelvetrees

Henry B. Walthall

Henry Fonda

Herbert Marshall

Hume Cronyn

Humphrey Bogart

Ida Lupino

Ingrid Bergman

Irene Dunne

Jack Holt

James Cagney

Jane Darwell

Janet Gaynor

Jean Arthur

Jean Harlow

Jean Hersholt

Jeanette MacDonald

Joan Blondell

Joan Crawford

Joe E. Brown

John Barrymore

John Carradine

John Garfield

John Gilbert

John Qualen (Muley)

Johnny Weissmuller

Joseph Cotten

Judy Garland

Kay Francis

Lana Turner

Laura La Plante

Laurel and Hardy

Laurence Olivier

Lee Tracy

Leo G. Carroll

Leslie Howard

Lew Ayres

Lewis Stone

Lily Damita

Lionel Atwill

Loretta Young

Louise Brooks

Lupe Velez

Mae West

Mantan Moreland

Marian Marsh

Marie Dressler

Marion Davies

Marjorie Main

Marlene Dietrich

Mary Astor

Maureen O'Sullivan

Maurice Chevalier

May Robson

Merle Oberon

Mickey Rooney

Miriam Hopkins

Myrna Loy

Nancy Carroll

Nina Mae McKinney

Norma Shearer

Olivia de Havilland

Orson Welles

Pat O'Brien

Paul Lukas

Paul Muni

Paul Robeson

Peter Lorre

Priscilla Lane

Ralph Bellamy

Ramon Navarro

Renee Adoree

Ricardo Cortez

Richard Barthelmess

Richard Dix

Robert Armstrong

Robert Cummings

Robert Donat

Robert Montgomery

Robert Taylor

Robert Young

Rochelle Hudson

Roland Young

Ronald Colman

Ruth Chatterton

Sabu

Sally Blane

Spanky MacFarland

Spencer Tracy

Sue Carol

Sybil Jason

Sylvia Sidney

Thelma Todd

Thomas Mitchell

Tim Holt

Tyrone Power

Van Heflin

Van Johnson

Victor McLaglen

Vivien Leigh

W.C. Fields

Wallace Beery

Walter Huston

Ward Bond

Warner Baxter

Warner Oland

Warren William

Will Rogers

William Holden

William Powell

Willie Best

Woody Strode

ZaSu Pitts

I hope its a month long celebration and they have a lot of things planned.....Would love to see some of the interviews/specials repeated that TCM has shown in the past...

I didnt get TCM in my cable channel for the first year or two, so I'm unsure what I might have missed.......

>Another cool interstitial, I think, would be the various staff members talking about what TCM means to them and why they wanted to work there and make the choices (graphics, programming, original programming, web related, etc) that they do and some of the things they have to consider when making those decisions.

That's a very good idea. That was a good series of interviews. :)

I also liked Mr. Osborne's group interview with the famous grown-up child stars, and his rare interview with Betty Hutton.

I love " conversion" stoies like yours, Lanceroten.

I taught a film class to middle school students for several years and the pattern was always the same: resistance and antipthy towards any black and white movie at first, a general notion that once color movies were produced black and white movies were no longer made (many also thought, for some reason that " Wizard of Oz" was the first color movie), and then gradually an apprecition for all kinds of movies from silents on up. It was SO satisfying to hear the enthusiasm and excitement in film class each week over all these great classics that sadly, MOST had never seen or even heard of, and this was a rather sophisticated private school in Los Angeles! I used to think, Wow!, I wish I could have their parents in my class as well. But happily, many students became TCM enthusiasts on their own and after they graduated many on return visits would tell me about which TCM films they had enjoyed lately or which films we had seen in class they had enjoyed again on TCM and this time at home with the whole family watching

Sorry - carrying on too long here - stirred up some happy memories.

Here was the line-up of the first 48 hours of TCM being on the air (thanks to musicalnovelty for posting this a few years back:

GONE WITH THE WIND kicked off the channel's line up and was billed as" Complete Road Show version with Overture, Intermission and Exit Music, plus Rare Footage from the Atlanta 1964 Civil War Centennial Re-issue." 222 minutes.

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952) plus deleted musical number "You Are My Lucky Star".

100 Years at the Movies repeated.

GONE WITH THE WIND repeated.

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN repeated.

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)

THE PETRIFIED FOREST (1936)

THE CAT PEOPLE (1942)

Friday, April 15, 1994:

THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR (1936)

THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946)

THE INFORMER (1935)

THE PIRATE (1948)

CITIZEN KANE (1941)

CEILING ZERO (1935)

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950)

Greta Garbo trailers.

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) - English language version.

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) - German language version.

ANNA KARENINA (1935)

LOVE (1927) plus alternate ending.

"MGM Parade" #30 - Greta Garbo.

"MGM Parade" #31 - Greta Garbo.

THE SINGLE STANDARD (1929)

AS YOU DESIRE ME (1931)

Hollywood themed shorts.

Interesting list, but with a handful of exceptions towards the end, that's a lineup that you could practically find on PBS.

What would really be great for the 20th Anniversary would be if we could get 48 hours of TCM premieres, and not just a repeat of what gets shown over and over and over. Lest we forget, the idea was to introduce the TCM audience to movies they likely hadn't seen uninterrupted on TV in a long time. My proposal would honor the spirit of that mission far more than the 10,000th showing of GWTW or Singing In The Rain.

• 2 months later...

I thought this would be a good time to bring this thread back. We are less than 100 days away from TCM's 20th anniversary.

What tributes/documentaries/promos, etc would like to see from their first 20 years?

It looks like on April 14th, they do have a documentary called *20 Classic Moments*.

I wonder what, besides Mickey Rooney almost belting Robert O in Rooney's *Private Screening*, might be included?

Would still love to see some interstitials or a documentary with the staff talking about their jobs as well as would love to see a montage (or three) of the old promos as an interstitial.

What ideas would you like to see?