Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Something coming up on TCM that you don't want to miss...!

TopBilled

I was looking ahead at the schedule. And I was thrilled to see BILLY BUDD coming up. I really love this film. I think Robert Ryan and Peter Ustinov give stand-out performances. This is probably my favorite release from Allied Artists. Melvyn Douglas is in it, too. It currently has a 7.7 rating at the IMDB.

Anyone else get a bit excited when they see a favorite film of theirs scheduled to air on TCM...? Or am I the only one who's a bit crazy about classic movies like this...?

BILLY BUDD airs on November 11th. It features Terence Stamp as the title character.

< Or am I the only one who is a bit crazy about Classic Movies >

I get a "bit crazy" whenever North By Northwest is being shown, but not for the same reasons you do, more like 'Oh no, not again'?!'

Actually, I get excited whenever CITIZEN KANE is being shown because of the interesting and unusual lighting in that movie. I find it fascinating and because of that, I never get bored watching it !

Twink

Great film, and got to agree about the performances--the downright archetypal aura of menace and malignant intent that Ryan projects as "Claggart" (who could have done it better?), contrasting with the innocence of "Billy" as so strikingly portrayed by Terrence Stamp--and Ustinov, who so rarely comes up short of excellence in any of his roles.

Ran into a little known fact the other day, that Ustinov had some uncredited help in the direction of this film (since he was himself in front of the camera for so much of it) from Robert Rossen, director of The Hustler, and Lilith--who also contributed some work to the script.

For the fans of Ustinov, this absolutely must not be missed . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf80Vay5vfI

Mackie45,

I think you summed it up well. The contrast between Ryan and Stamp in BILLY BUDD is what makes it all work. And it helps that we have Melvyn Douglas whose character fluctuates somewhere in between.

Speaking of Ustinov, I watched TREASURE OF MATECUMBE last night. In this Disney family film from the '70s, Ustinov projects a wonderful sense of refinement and intelligence. His very presence brings a dignity to the proceedings that would have probably been lacking with any other actor in the role. He's the perfect 'foil' to get involved with a group of annoying youngsters, and there's a delightful scene teaming him and Dub Taylor-- talk about completely different acting styles!

>I get excited whenever CITIZEN KANE is being shown because of the interesting and unusual lighting in that movie. I find it fascinating and because of that

The first time I watched KANE was in a high school humanities class. The second time was on the big screen in a film course at my university. It's even more potent when you have all these larger-than-life images in front of you in a darkened movie theatre.

I wish TCM would show it more often.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings