Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Les Maudits (1947)

kingrat

Just a belated thank you to TCM for showing *Les Maudits* (*The Damned*) (1947), a little-known Rene Clement film about Nazis and Nazi sympathizers trying to escape in a submarine to South America. Anyone who likes Forbidden Games and Purple Noon should check this one out. You can draw a line directly from the claustrophobic scenes in the submarine to the scenes on the boat in Purple Noon.

Clement seems to have a characteristic blend of objectivity and irony, an awareness of the dark side of human nature (surviving the German occupation of France will do that) without giving in to cynicism. I hope TCM will repeat *Les Maudits*.

Dargo, I believe you said that you also enjoyed it.

Yes kingrat, I did, quite a lot. Thanks for remembering my earlier mentioning of this in another recent thread.

I also quite like your insights into this film. I think your take on the Clement's sense of "objectivity and irony without giving in to cynicism" is especially insightful.

And re the "claustrophobic scenes" you mentioned...I thought Clement's re-created sets of the interior of the German U-boat might be THE most realistic depictions of the cramped quarters inside WWII-era submarines other than Wolfgang Petersen's "Das Boot".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings