Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't Push That Button.

hamradio

Have you ever asked the question Why would they have such a thing?

Self destruct devices that doesn't make sense.

In "Bride of Frankenstein" (1935) at the end of the movie, Frankenstein pulled a lever that someone could hang a towel on. Why did Dr Frankenstein rigged the castle with a ton of explosives. What was he thinking?

"Forbidden Planet" (1956), Adam pulls a lever too easy to get to and BOOM, no more Altair IV. Were the Krell that stupid to have such a device - don't seem to been that advanced.

Do you have movies that bugged you with self destruct devices that don't make sense?

Like "Forbidden Planet", I hope we are smart enough not to have one.

761911_red_button.jpg

exploding-earth.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 28, 2013 1:32 PM Typo

Add to that the fact that if it was truly "self-destruct" it wouldn't REQUIRE anyone to pull a lever or push a button.

Like in the picture you posted, it would have made a good "Candid Camera" subject to put up such a button with the warning "Do Not Push The Red Button" just to see how many people push it anyways.

Common sense: If you don't want some particular button to be pushed, then DON'T install the button!

Sepiatone

Sepiatone wrote:

<< Add to that the fact that if it was truly "self-destruct" it wouldn't REQUIRE anyone to pull a lever or push a button. >>

Might be the wrong choice I used but I was referring to whatever one pulls or press to annihilate people including themselves, that is to initiate the auto/self/whatever its called destruct.

sfpcc2 about Ren And Stimpy, that reminds me of the scene in "The Emperor's New Groove" (2000) where Yzma orders *pull the lever*, and a trap door opens underneath her into a crocodile pit. She return with crocodile in tow stating..Why do we need that lever for?

I guess these buttons/levers are symbolic of ones/societies self destructiveness. I just wanted posters to tell me their favorite films that has such.

Well the early Bond films always had the villian pulling some lever that blows everything to pieces to mask his escape when he knows his plan isn't going to work.

I think its a modern day "Deus ex Machina device. We either "don't know how to end this film" or "we have just run out of money. Lets just blow everything up and call it an ending:"

My line of thinking is, would one give his own house a button to self destruct and use while still inside (no other way to use it -- that kind of insanity). Dr Frankenstein had one rigged for his own castle, but the thing is why and keep it within too easy reach that anyone might accidently run into, fall on, etc.

Just seems strange.

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 28, 2013 9:51 PM

I can recall no movies but it is a trope that Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz places a self-destruct button on each of his evil -inators in the television series: Phineas and Ferb on Disney Channel. There is at least one episode where he openly wonders why he puts them on every machine when they are so often the cause of his creations' destruction.

The Starship Enterprise does not have a self destruct button. However,

there are sequence of numbers that will cause the Starship to blow up. I not a Trekkie so do not ask me the episode. This was referenced on The Big Bang Theory.

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Oct 29, 2013 12:42 AM

Regarding the Enterprise, I know what you are talking about but that's not what I'm referring to.

In this case, there were security protocols so the Enterprise in "Star Trek III - The Search For Spock" are in place to prevent Federation technology, codes, etc not to fall into enemy hands.

It took Kirk and 2 high ranking officers to have their ID's verified along with the passcodes. The destruct feature allow them time to evacuate, if possible. No recklessness there.

You didn't make any wrong choice ham. They're called "self-destruct" buttons in many a movie. What ELSE could you call them for the purpose of this thread?

I'd like to see a scene where someone pushes the "self destruct" button, and the only thing that destroys itself is the button!

Sepiatone

There was a sort of scene like that in The Warner Brothers Cartoon Duck Dodgers In The 23rd And A Half Century. Daffy Duck shoots a Disintarator gun at Marvin The Martian. The gun falls apart into little ashes. Daffy replies "well what do you know it disintegrated."

Edited by: sfpcc2 on Oct 29, 2013 2:18 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings