Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most Underrated Movies

FlyBackTransformer

We all have our individual favorites but the one that comes first in my mind is *BUS STOP*. It is pretty hilarious almost from start to finish. Now if it had been advertised to the public back in 1956 as this great romantic comedy it coulda round up as best picture! Anyways I love it. Don Murray is a hoot! *YeeeeeHaaaahhhhhh!* She's the filly for him.

35izz8x.jpg

Not only does BUS STOP get underrated, Marylin's performance gets underrated too. MANY of her performances get underrated for some reason.

But deeming a movie as "underrated" is largely a matter of taste. While I, and probably scores of others think BUS STOP is underrated, a larger number might feel it's OVERrated. Thus, it's an indeterminate topic.

One movie I always felt was underrated was SOLDIER IN THE RAIN. Although it's nowhere near as compelling and detailed as William Goldman's novel, it's a fun movie to watch, and a warm story concerning the phenomenon of opposites attracting. There's no way one would think Sgt. Slaughter and Eustis would be close friends, nor the romantic tie between the Sgt. and Miss Peppidine. I've always felt it has among the finest performances of Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason. Yet when it was listed in TV guides, it was lucky to be given ONE star.

Sepiatone

I agree strongly re: *Penelope* as it is a very fun movie.

I believe that most movies which are not hanky-twisting, society-baring dramas are underrated. B movies are much more important to me than many A movies.

My favorite movies are ones with which I can be comfortable. Wool socks and a fuzzy blanket and a bowl of munchies and I can settle in with people I would like to know in real life. It can be a murder mystery or a comedy caper or a silly romance and I can take it in and make it part of me.

"Frequency" (2000) Butterfly effect by radio. Got to get me one of those. :D

Frequency-Original-Screen-Used-Hero-Ham-

"Knowing" (2009) very nice end of the world movie with a "here we go again" ending. (Referring to the Tree of Knowledge, why bother, LOL!)

Unique visual concept of angels.

Knowing__Angels_by_pshyco_ninja_monkey.j

I love "Bus Stop" too - didn't realize it was underrated. The great ending is spoiled a little for me though by director Josh Logan's use of EXTREME closeups during the scene you show in the still here. On tv not quite as much as in a theatre - i saw it again a few years back in a revival house in LA and -wow - you could count the pores on MM and Don Murray's faces.

But deeming a movie as "underrated" is largely a matter of taste. While I, and probably scores of others think BUS STOP is underrated, a larger number might feel it's OVERrated. Thus, it's an indeterminate topic.

Exactly. IMO Bus Stop is Marilyn's worst movie, but that's just me. I like her best in The Asphalt Jungle and Don't Bother To Knock, but that's probably because I like noirs better than any other genre. I make no claims to any objectivity about this.

But for comediennes, anyone who doesn't put Jean Harlow at the #1 position on that list is definitely UNDERrating her. And about THAT decision there can be no debate. ;)

Interesting the vast differences of opinions here. To me Harlow was a lousy actress - strictly amateur time, she'd be hooted off the screen today

- and MM in "Bus Stop" should have been Oscar nominated! But this is becoming less about underrated movies and lurchimg into performer evaluations.

I thought "Hair" was underrated - brilliant adaptation of a pretty sloppy, albeit entertaining musical, which basically was a hit because youth loved the OBC recording and everyone else wanted to see the nudity.

> To me Harlow was a lousy actress - strictly amateur time, she'd be hooted off the screen today

As Paris Hilton had appeared in a movie, I wouldn't count on it.

And finance, I never heard ANYBODY underrate the movies you've mentioned.

Sepiatone

Re: Harlow - i sounded too harsh, I guess. I think she is appealing - especially in Red Dust - just don't think she's a good ACTRESS.

If Harlow doesn't show pure comic genius in Bombshell, Dinner at Eight, and Libeled Lady, I'd like to know what it is. Not all humor has to be sophisticated a la Loy or Stanwyck, both of whom I also love.

And if you disagree about the talents of our platinum blonde princess, well . . . that's arson!

Again, I find her persona appealing - just saw "Bombshell" and thoroughly enjoyed it - but her acting skills? - just don't see it. She had funny lines, but then I also think the much revered Louise Dressler is also equally bad in "Dinner at Eight" It always seems like stars "acting" not real people.

I just watched it, and had never even heard of it.

"The Full Treatment" directed by Val Guest. I accidentally started watching it this past weekend and became absorbed. It was a really great flick. Catch it if TCM shows it again. Here is the IMDB listing:

Stop Me Before I Kill! (1960)

"The Full Treatment" (original title)

120 min - Mystery | Drama - October 1960 (UK)

After surviving a traumatic car accident, a race car driver travels to the Cote D'Azur to recover but is plagued by an urge to strangle his wife.

Director:Val Guest

I have never been much of a Harlow fan but I did become more of one after TCM had her as SOTM. But I agree she isn't a very good actreses. While I don't like her persona (i.e. that type of women isn't one I'm drawn too), movies often need that type of persona. Bombshell and Libel Lady are great examples of that.

Why the need to pull out the Shakespeare card? Jean Arthur or Myrna Loy didn't do Sharkespeare either but I feel they had more acting chops than Harlow.

The reason I mention Arthur is because Harlow is more well known and to me Harlow isn't even close to Arthur. In this regards Arthur is one of the most underrated actresses. Of course Arthur didn't die young or lead a lifestyle the press was interested in.

If we're considering the 1950-1970 period, the Disney Alice in Wonderland is actually my favorite Disney film, strikingly inventive and with the best of the pre-1967 Disney heroines. Around the World in Eighty Days did win best picture, but it's now considered one of the worst winners. I disagree, and think it's actually one of the best winners. I also think Invitation to the Dance is underrated. It's Gene Kelly dancing for ninety minutes--what's not to like? And The Red Tent is one of my all time favorite movies: airships and Sean Connery from the man who brought you I am Cuba.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings