Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most Underrated Movies

I couldn't agree more, finance. I just can't stand Lombard in most of her so-called "comedies." She's much better in her serious roles, or at least I prefer her in more serious fare. Her persona in My Man Godfrey and Twentieth Century really hurts more than helps those films. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I am glad I'm not alone in my feelings.

I usually agree with Leonard Maltin's reviews, but 2 movies that I disagree with him are APACHE and NIGHT AND THE CITY. I found both the Burt Lancaster movie and the Richard Widmark movie to be much better than 2 or 2 and a half stars rating.

Gee, I'm really surprised you dislike these because of Carole Lombard. I love the theatrics of both of these movies - especially Twentieth Century-and Lombard seems (to me) just right for both movies, playing the perfect pitch for screwball comedy. Just goes to show how much range of opinion is out there.

I really love Topper too and the chemistry of Cary Grant and Constance Bennett. I wish she had been in more movies.

We are in agreement here - I don't care for Nothing Sacred either. Bringing Up Baby is a favorite and love, love His Girl Friday. Interesting question as to why His Girl Friday is/isn't screwball comedy, which is one of my favorie genres - guess we differ on the latter (affection for the genre itself.)

• 6 years later...

Az ember tragédiája (The Tragedy of Man)   

The animated historical-drama animated film from 2011 made by the ever so talented Marcell Jankovics is an underrated treasure which I wish most people watched or knew about more. Based on the play/book of the same name, The characters Adam, Eve and Lucifer explore humanity and the meaning of life through visiting  several different eras in history, starting from the creation of the world to the end of time. Each segment has a different visual style to reflect the art of the respective time periods (e.g Egypt having hieroglyphic style). The shear brilliance and philosophy of the film will surely make someone actually think about life more. Besides the philosophy and brilliance of the film, the animation is beautiful in most of the first half, however, it gets choppy during the second half of the film. Other than that, I recommend this amazing film.

CF7AEA51-5B3E-4C2F-A5A1-B4E25D199407.jpeg

13 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

hay, I started this thread back in 2013. that's my old nick.:D

I don't believe it, Nip! Not one bit.

Ya see, I just went back to read the OP of this thread, and whoever started it used proper capitalizations and punctuation.

(...and so unless your "fly back transformer" was working properly before the "nipkow disc" within it started malfunctioning, then please explain this claim you've made here) 

;)

okay so I capitalized for my nick way back then but that is me. the flyback transformer is an old high voltage component of the old RCA CT-100 our first mass-produced color TV.

😁

...and you should look up nipkow disk.

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

okay so I capitalized for my nick way back then but that is me. the flyback transformer is an old high voltage component of the old RCA CT-100 our first mass-produced color TV.

😁

...and you should look up nipkow disk.

As I recall, a nipkow disk was a component within early mechanical television systems, was it not?!

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

As I recall, a nipkow disk was a component within early mechanical television systems, was it not?!

well, it has to do with TVs doan it?

:D

you know that Scottish guy john logie baird who designed the televisor an early mechanical TV employing a...:lol:...neon tube. he designed a color system for the military in WWII

I'd like to see that recreated.

9 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

well, it has to do with TVs doan it?

:D

you know that Scottish guy john logie baird who designed the televisor an early mechanical TV employing a...:lol:...neon tube. he designed a color system for the military in WWII

I'd like to see that recreated.

Well, you HAVE always been an old school kind'a guy, I guess.

(...and with a Shirley Booth fixation, of course) ;)

LOL