Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Things need to change at the CFU.

Guest obrienmundy

For the past year and a half, members who have joined the site have been stripped of their rights as their names do not appear on the list of members and they are subject to a constant parade of technical difficulties. While all of them (and for that matter every member on the site) have suffered the crippling effects of the technical difficulties, none has suffered more so than robin.casney, a member with a good and kind soul, who cannot even see her profile, view older blogs, or even send private messages to certain members. This type of injustice must stop.

Maybe, as far as members are concerned, they're just putting the emphasis on the Felix Ungar part of the acronym.

I haven't been there in ages. I became so frustrated between what we were supposed to be able to do, and what there was, that there seemed to be little sense in going there. It may have improved, but I've learned to live without it.

I agree. The problems robin is currently experiencing is more than just her problem as for the past 18 months, new members haven't had complete profiles in an of themselves, and this elevates the problems further. It could happen to anyone who joined within the past 18 months who do what CFU members do regularly. Due to the neglect there by the Admin, it could easily happen to anyone. It does need to change.

Not really. We do have fun over there though. Getting back to the OP, though, we really want things to change over there so it is a more enjoyable experience for members new and old to do what they basically love doing there- sharing their love of classic film in fun ways.

I'm not familiar with CFU, but my impression from what I read in here is that it likely draws the interest of a lot of pretentious, psuedo-intellectual movie "enthusiasts".

I like watching classic movies because it's FUN. I enjoy some of the "open mic" night nonsense on these boards because it's FUN. When discussions of these old gems of movies start to get too acedemic, they start to lose their charm. For me, anyway. Too many people try to read too much into movies that for all we really know, were just supposed to be MOVIES! Not abject lessons in psycology, phsyciatry or socialology. Maybe with no deeper message than "sit back and enjoy". Considering that the greater majority of movie goers today, as well as back then, couldn't care LESS about any "message", it all seems like a waste of energy making a movie the producers hope will "change the world". Anyway, the movie industry, like ANY industry, is a business. And ANY business doesn't care what or what not anyone gets out of their product as long as they PAY for it.

Sepiatone

>I assume that on the CFU, you also don't have to put up with posters treating the boards like open mic night at the comedy club.

I think I signed up for a go but they told me there were no microphones or electricity on that particular night. No juice. If it doesn't fit you must acquit.

>I'm not familiar with CFU, but my impression from what I read in here is that it likely draws the interest of a lot of pretentious, psuedo-intellectual movie "enthusiasts".

They could be investigating some arcane (R. Kane) intellectual pursuit like the meaning of Rosebud, "because it isn't enough to tell us what a man did, you gotta tell us who he was. Quick, wait a minute. What were Kane's last words? What were the last words he said on earth?. Maybe he told us all about himself on his death bed"

So I would have to agree with you when you say pretentious. Yep, I guess I'm not missing much over there.

LOL

Ya gotta believe if the TCM web masters really wanted to fix the problems they would have been solved by now. What is so elusive about fixing it is difficult to understand? Their unwillingness to get it right after this long may be an indication that they are trying to discourage usage of that forum and may be hoping for ts eventual shutdown.

Sepia, I have to disagree. I'm not or have been a member of CFU, although over the years I was invited. However, I'm surprised that you're being judgemental about it. I don't think of you that way, in fact just the opposite. I think you're fair and opened minded.To Each His Own, you know. It's my understanding that the conversations aren't just pseudo intellectual conversaions. They share photos of favorites, they even discuss tv shows and soapers. If members are having fun over there, why would you pass judgment on that? Many times on these bds. I so disagree with a few of our regular bd members takes and opninions on films. Most times, like 98% of the time I just read the post, shake my head in disbelief and laugh to myself. I don't comment because as silly as I think that opinion is, I figure it's not worth arguing about and everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if posters wanting to share whatever they share over at CFU brings them pleasure, what the hey (or hay) ?

I'd complain more about the posers here who make believe they know films when they don't, the constant unappreciative complainers here, the hypocrites here who make believe they are interested when TCM shows "those golden oldies" but they are so busy posting and NOT watching the films that they say they love, and really know nothing about these films or the stars in them.

I say let's not pass judgement on CFU'ers and I hope whatever complaints they have over technical difficulties get straightened out :) I doubt you disagree with that.

Thank you lavenderblue19.

Honestly, in the four years I have been active with the CFU, we have had our ups and downs, technical and social, but I don't see any pretentiousness or pseudo-intellectualness at the CFU at all over there. Those that have tried in the past did not succeed over there because they revealed themselves in their comments and their articles as off-putting. On the whole, we do discuss classic film. We do have casual areas in which to be social with each other that doesn't always equate constant arguments. We try hard to respect each other, even if we disagree with each other, and we try hard to be above general Internet culture where it is nearly impossible to agree to disagree with each other in a respectful fashion.

It's not utopia, nor is it a country club either. It is another way to be a classic film lover online in a more social media type atmosphere. Not to toot our own horn over there, but I think in the past four years, the CFU has contributed to TCM programming to a huge degree with the literature and media we have posted over there, and we are as much apart of the TCM site as the Message Boards here or TCM Shop or TCM Mediaroom. The technical problems we currently face do not hinder our abilities to continue to share our love of classic cinema, but for a part of the site that is equally important to the TCM fanbase, it lacks, and we believe that we deserve better.

Often times, due to the technical problems, members have left. Members quit the CFU and started their own blog outside of the Union. TCM is a business, and the CFU is apart of that business, and there are those who fight to improve communication between TCM and the CFU, to address issues openly that faces members at the CFU, and to advocate for change to make the CFU what many members, new and old, believe to be true for them in wanting a site that operates and is open to the full potential that exists on the site that every member displays who shares their appreciation for classic cinema.

>I'd complain more about the posers here who make believe they know films when they don't, the constant unappreciative complainers here, the hypocrites here who make believe they are interested when TCM shows "those golden oldies" but they are so busy posting and NOT watching the films that they say they love, and really know nothing about these films or the stars in them.

And I say let's not pass judgment on the message boarders..........ROFL

Who are CFU users hurting? they're having a good time for the last few years, why should that bother anyone here ? If someone doesn't want to be over there, don't be over there. But the members that do, let them have fun on CFU, a part of this site that TCM created for everyone's enjoyment. I ve a LOT of RESPECT for the members who write for the Movie Morelocks, some are and have been members of CFU. Dissing members who haven't pretended to be something they're not or dissing CFU is a strange pastime.Oh yeah Not ROFLING

You are right, TCM doesn't have to provide a "Classic Film Union," but it does and still advertises it as a venture for classic film fans to explore. Since TCM is a business that relies on customer patronage, the CFU was created to provide further patronage- as were these Message Boards and this very website.

This is just an appeal to fix an on-going problem that affects more than just one member, even though that one member is getting the biggest brunt of it, and the issue still isn't resolved.

So, can we just stop debating the merits of the Classic Film Union to begin with, and just help each other out?

>Dissing members who haven't pretended to be something they're not or dissing CFU is a strange pastime.Oh yeah Not ROFLING

How are you any expert on what someone is or what they are not? Who appointed you to make any judgment on what someone is ? Do you hold omnipotent powers to discern what lies within one to make such a judgment? Heed this:

*Judge not, that ye be not judged.*

*For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.*

This board has no place for YOU to judge others. What is it about that concept that eludes you? I've reported your previous abusive and judgmental post to TCMWebAdmin.

You crossed the line when you began calling out people with your vicious words regardless of whether you were referring to me or not.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings