Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Halloween movies

AR-oldman

Now, I just registered here, and that was because me and my family just can't stand the Halloween movies that are being shown. Most are no good and are not family friendly, or even Adult friendly either.

Also, some of these movies are satanic and have Black magic stuff in them and have too much blood and gore for family orientated ppl. I do like some other movies that aren't exactly always just for family and watch them to. I usually love most films on TCM, but the Halloween Month of October has way too much films that me and a lot of others don't like.

Vincent Price is this months Star for every Friday and late Thursday nights and I have no problems with that whatsoever. He was a great actor in all the films I have seen him in, but when a channel has these Horror only movies for about 80% of the month of October, it's really sad that I can't watch any good movies but only a few for the whole month, it's too much in my opinion.

I don't see TCM doing the same in December for Christmas, which i think is terrible. Christmas should be a lot more celebrated that a lot of the junk movies that are on in October, and December and Christmas should be a lot more celebrated that it has been in the last 5 or so years and Christmas should be celebrated because it's a time for being grateful and being with family and loved ones, and sadly that isn't the case with TCM anymore.

Edited by: AR-oldman on Oct 26, 2013 1:37 AM

These movies made during the 1970's seems to have the least blood, gore, etc but still is scary.

The strangest "The Dark" (1979) is not satanic but an alien lifeform that looks like ghoul, attacks at random.

dark-09.jpg

"Phantasm" (1979) is a nice horror film, only minor gore i.e.yellow blood from the Tall Man. They are from a place like Venus and look like Jawas in "Star Wars" uses a mortuary to change us to live in their world.

Wanna play ball Tall Man style?

killers-09.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 26, 2013 2:26 AM

Yeah, i know i'm definitely not the only 1 that doesn't want to watch these Early Horror/Sci/fi Horror films. Not because they might be scary or not, but because I think ppl want a break from just Halloween type movies.

They never go all out for Christmas movies.

Ah, oldman! WHERE have you BEEN all my life!

Not only "movie-wise", but otherwise I've lamented the occurance of the "Halloween season". Some folks I know spend more time putting up Halloween decorations than Christmas decorations, and for what? So the kids won't see them because they'll never come begging at their doors due to those silly "trunk-or-treat" events put on by community groups and churches. CHURCHES! Who have NO reason to get mixed up in such a thing as Halloween to begin with!

And the glut of movies...ANY movie being shown over and over and over again, despite the quality( or lack thereof) simply because it "might" fit a Halloween theme. Gets tiring, I know. I mean, one or two on a Friday or Saturday night is fine. But pul-EEZE save the marathon for Halloween night!

Sepiatone

>Also, some of these movies are satanic and have Black magic stuff in them and have too much blood and gore for family orientated ppl.

I've been watching mainly old films on YouTube this month, seeing films like the old TCM and old AMC used to air a lot.

But October has become Torture, Serial Killer, and Demon and slasher month on TV. They should be showing some of the Nazi movies too, since they fit into the theme.

nazi-execution.jpg

TowerOfLondonStill.jpg

vincent_price___sweet_torture_by_alk04-d34kdeh.jpg

minsk-1941-10-26-004.jpg

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Oct 26, 2013 2:18 PM

Yeah, I can understand maybe 5 days of Halloween movies, but when they have 80% of the month of Suspense Horror Movies. I gotta ask. Where are the other good movies I want to see. I think if they want to have these Halloween oriented movies of Horror and Horror-Suspense and Horror-Sci-fi, then maybe they should have a network devoted to that, even though their are 3 networks I know of that are soley devoted to Horror only movies. Some of the Black magic and Demonic stuff shouldn't be on a network like TCM imo.

Like I said Vincent Price was a good pic for Halloween Star of the Month, but when TCM devotes 80% of October to just 1 genre, any kind of genre, then I think TCM programmers should re-think what a lot of other ppl want.

Christmas programs are few and far between it seems for at least the last 5 years on TCM, and I almost think TCM has something against it because they don't have half of what October has devoted to Halloween Horror, Horror-Suspense etc, type films. December should have a lot lot more Programs devoted to what families can see then Halloween type films.

Edited by: AR-oldman on Oct 26, 2013 10:09 PM

Edited by: AR-oldman on Oct 26, 2013 10:11 PM

> Christmas programs are few and far between it seems for at least the last 5 years on TCM, and I almost think TCM has something against it because they don't have half of what October has devoted to Halloween Horror, Horror-Suspense etc, type films. December should have a lot lot more Programs devoted to what families can see then Halloween type films.

Funny, isn't it, that public activist groups would rally to the cause of removing public Christmas displays, but never speak up about Halloween displays? I'm no Christian crusader, but it seems odd to me that equal time be overly devoted to a day that represents no specific culture or doctrine except that which is the polar opposite of the other.

Sepiatone

The Hallmark channel shows a stocking load of Christmas films during the months of November and December. I don't know if you get that channel, (where else can I see that work of Emmanuelle Vaugier, Autum Reeser, Torrey DeVitto, Alex Gitter, Etc.)

>Christmas programs are few and far between it seems for at least the last 5 years on TCM, and I almost think TCM has something against it

Every December TCM programs holiday themed movies. This year, all three versions of *A Christmas Carol* are on the schedule amd *Christmas in Connecticut* returns after a hiatus of being on other channels, usually with commercials.

Some of the other films include:

Comedies include *The Lemon Drop Kid* with Bob Hope, *The Man Who Came to Dinner* with Alexander Woolcott and Bette Davis and *Holiday* with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant.

Dramatic films include *The Bishop's Wife*, *Good Neighbor Sam* (that posters at one time here clamored for and TCM was finally able to lease), *O. Henry's Full House*, an anthology of holiday themed O. Henry Stories, *It Happened on 5th Avenue*, *Little Women*, *Tenth Avenue Angel*, *I'll Be Seeing You*, *The Belles of St. Mary's*, *The Shop Around the Corner* and *Meet John Doe*.

Musicals include *Meet Me in St. Louis*, *In the Good Old Summertime* (actually a Christmas movie), *Scrooge*, *Sun Valley Serenade* (like *O. Henry's Full House* making it's TCM debut).

As always, NBC owns the exclusive broadcast rights to *It's a Wonderful Life* so if you want to spend time with George Bailey and Clarence it will have to be on NBC or DVD.

*White Christmas*, another perennial, is usually tied up by AMC.

That time of the year is very big for networks and cable as they try to market to families who spend more time watching television together than at other times of the year..

There was a time when TCM's chief competitor in December was AMC. Now with the advent of the Encore channels, Hallmark channel, HD movie channels like MGM, Sony and Universal as well as premium channels like Showtime, Starz and HBO all realizing the holiday viewing market is lucrative for advertising their upcoming winter programs, TCM has many more competitors for family friendly, holiday movies and with that larger playing field, comes competition for those holiday classic films.

>Maybe we can all keep each other up to date on which Christmas film is coming up on TCM, within a few days.

FredC,

I think that it is great idea! There's some rarely seen gems coming up this December and that would be great way of letting folks know when they are going to air!

Ok, see if this December schedule link works for you. Check to be sure it is Eastern Time.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2013-12-01

I think TCM needs to show some Hanukkah movies too. IE, family movies with a holiday atmosphere, even if they don't mention Hanukkah specifically. Such as Symphony of Six Million (1932). The Heart of New York (1932). Although, these might be a little too dated and old fashioned.

Hanukkah 2013 begins in the evening of

Wednesday, November 27

and ends in the evening of

Thursday, December 5

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Oct 27, 2013 7:22 PM

There must be some other GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM that I can't find online besides the COMEDY starring Jack Lemmon.

And the Hallmark channel's Christmas fare really isn't all that good. Mostly sophmoric, mushy warm and fuzzy cartoonish characiture casted fluff that can't compete with the classics that TCM would wish to broadcast. You get many stretches of variations of "A CHRISTMAS CAROL", even one starring Vanessa Williams as "Ebony" Scrooge! OY! The rest fall into the "Somebody's trying to ruin Christmas for everyone, but here comes some handsome young hunk, or some gorgeous young "professional" woman to save the day!" type.

No thanks.

Sepiatone

>There must be some other GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM that I can't find online besides the COMEDY starring Jack Lemmon

Thanks for catching that. I should have typed *Good Sam*, the film with Gary Cooper and Ann Sheridan.

Never been into TCM's Halloween picks. I for one don't really watch gorey films around Halloween. Although I usually pick a couple "scary" movies to watch (like GASLIGHT or THE HAUNTING or THE LAST MAN ON EARTH or a good Hitchcock film), my "traditional" Halloween films are mostly funny and fun, along the lines of IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN (not that TCM can show that, but that type of thing). This is why I always wanted TCM to show these movies around Halloween:

THE GHOST & MR CHICKEN

THE GHOST & MRS MUIR

BLACKBEARD'S GHOST

THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

I MARRIED A WITCH

BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS

All very Halloween-y, but in a fun, family friendly way, not in a gorey vampirey bloody slasher way. Can't we try it just once? Eh?

PS I do think Vincent Price is a perfect SOTM for this month

"Fun, friendly, family" for Halloween???

Now that is just heresy and tantamount to revolting.

I don't need gore at Halloween but I sure need something on film that is more scary than seeing my beloved Don Knotts.

Why unless he brought along the ghost of Floyd the Barber, I would feel most cheated at Halloween.

I will agree with you though, that "I Married a Witch" is a great movie ful of fun AND spooks!

I agree. Halloween should be scary. I HATE those Halloween decors with witches and ghosts that look like little kids dressed up with wide, warm looking eyes and bright smiles on their faces.

But in a way, I don't think Halloween should be gory. Witches, spooks, ghosts and goblins are enough. But again, their appearance SHOULD be hideous.

Sepiatone