Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Margaret Sullavan for Star of the Month

Margaret Sullavan was one of the most popular film stars of the 1930s and early 1940s. While she had a short film career, only making 16 films between 1933 and 1950, she is very worthy of this honor. When she came back to Hollywood to make her last screen appearance she was still highly respected in Hollywood and well-known to movie audiences despite not having appeared in a film for 7 years. She was the star in almost all of the films she made, receiving top billing in all but 5 of her movies.

Sullavan also worked with many of the top actors and actresses of her time, including Henry Fonda, Ray Milland, Joan Crawford, Robert Taylor, Glenn Ford, Fredric March, two films with Charles Boyer, and four with James Stewart, and her co-stars had nothing but glowing things to say about her acting abilities. She was also directed by Ernst Lubitsch, Frank Borzage, and William Wyler. Sullavan excelled at both drama and comedy, and while primarily know for her work on stage, Sullavan was able to very easily transition from theater to film and became an overnight success in her film debut in 1933.

I don?t know how far in advance TCM plans their programming, but I think May of 2014 would be the most appropriate time for Maggie to be SOTM. Her 105th birthday would be May 16th. So May would be an ideal month, but I?d be happy with anything. I also think it would be amazing and moving if TCM could get Margaret Sullavan?s daughter, Brooke Hayward, to narrate her promo commercial.

Despite Margaret Sullavan?s tremendous success, she is unfortunately no as well-known as she should be by fans today. To my knowledge, Margaret Sullavan has never been Star of the Month in the 20 years TCM has been on the air, and I think it?s time she receive this honor, especially since she was one of the most famous, successful, and sought-after actresses of her time. She deserves it.

There?s been a discussion making the rounds on Twitter recently (

), with support from the official TCM twitter, and many people seem enthusiastic about the idea. So please help spread the word by suggesting to TCM (http://www.tcm.com/suggest-a-movie/index.html) so tthe official programmers can see it, and tweeting. And don?t forget to mention that Brooke Hayward should narrate the promo! :)

Who knows, if we gain enough interest, maybe TCM will listen. Thank you for your support!

She was in 16 films, so I think if TCM played all of them and spread them out over the month, they could make it work. Also showing the film versions of her Broadways shows, such as Stage Door or The Voice of the Turtle even though she wasn't in the movies, could be an option as well.

Ms. Sullavan has always been a favourite of mine. Hopefully she can get 'The Star of the month' treatment, or at least a day devoted to her. And someone nice enough to make a documentary about her.

I have seen poor copies of "Little Man, What Now?" and "So Red The Rose" even though I know they have been shown at festivals from pristine 35 millimeter prints.

These should be available to the public on video.

The one I would also like to see is, 'The Moon's Our Home."

To my knowledge is has not been shown on TCM.

>Would the fact that Sullavan committed suicide cause TCM to want to stay away from her?

TCM has highlighted stars and starlets who didn't always leave this world as gracefully as we might have wished- Ramon Navorro, Lupe Velez, Sharon Tate are just a few that come to mind- so they don't seem to shy away from that.

I think it safe to assume that when someone on this forum says an actor is forgotten they mean by the general public.

As you know those that watch TCM on a regular basis do NOT represent the tastes of the general public.

Anyhow I think we can all agree that Kelly has an iconic status due to her marriage while Sullivan (and most other actresses), don't.

I agree that Kelly's iconic status is connected to Hitchcock, but her marriage is also connected to him. It is safe to assume Hitchcock would of continued to use Grace if she didn't get married to a Prince and stopped acting.

Why should the fact that Sullavan is forgotten by the general public prevent her from being SOTM then? If you asked most people on the street, only a handful of pre-50's stars would be mentioned. Many past SOTM's I'm sure arent well known by the general public. Alexis Smith for instance. Do most of the general public tune in to TCM?

Sorry, I didn't see the connection between your reply to finance as it related to Sullavan as SOTM and Grace Kelly.

You're 100% correct that the views of the general public should have NO impact to a star being SOTM or not.

Sullavan clearly has the 'merit' to be SOTM (more so than Alexis Smith just to use one example).

The good thing is that TCM does show a lot of her movies since she was an MGM star, unlike, say, Susan Hayward

I think finance was implying since Kelly was well known, it didnt matter that she didnt have a large filmography. But since Sullavan isnt as well known, it does matter for some reason. I dont think so........16 films should be enough for SOTM status (providing they can be shown). They've had SOTM picks and shown less films than that........

I wasnt opposed to Kelly being SOTM in any case......

Edited by: Hibi on Nov 5, 2013 5:30 PM

Margaret Sullavan is just wonderful!

Such comedic style. I was surprised to see the TCM interview with Bill Murray saying how much he loved Sullavan.

I might not have thought she was his type but he seemed enthralled with her films.

I think she was fab and agreed, with a lot of similar charm to Jean Arthur.

Margaret deserves to be SOTM, if only for "The Shop Around the Corner" in which her delicate with and talents are astounding.

Well 16 films for a STOM would be cutting it close. Note that actors I consider lesser stars than Sullavan like Paul Henreid were SOTM but TCM showed movies he directed or some later work where he was a supporting players (and most of those movies were only OK at best).

I point this out since Sullavan doesn't have those types of movies for TCM to use to pad the programming. Maybe TCM should just feature her one day per week for 3 weeks and have some other type of programming on the 4th week.

The Good Fairy is my favorite movie. It's beautiful. It's all about goodness. Everyone in the movie wants to do something for someone else. I think it's one of the best films ever made and when I say ever, I mean "ever."

Margaret Sullavan did enough movies for star of the month. She was luminous.