Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BADLANDS, a Great 1973 film !!

>babies...

>....that's exactly how I feel. Ganster movies are not nearly as graphic and no blood shed ! There is a huge difference between 30s gangster movies and the type of violent movies that are shown today.

Me too. I don't like violent movies or blood or heads cut off, etc. I just don't watch that junk.

< I have one published in 1827, titled A FUTURE STATE. The book contains consepts that were used in the film THE DAY THE EARTH STODE STILL>

babee babes'...

I have looked all over the internet and cannot find this book. It seems like an interesting book and one well worth reading.

It both fascinates and amazes me that you actually find it easier to read this type of book. One would think that it would be more difficult to read ! :)

The fact that you recomend it, :)... must make it so !

Twinkee :)

Fred, you?re the one that started this thread and posted that Badlands is a great 1973 film.

Now you appear to agree with Flyback and Twink that Badlands is just a senseless violent movie. (as well as violent for violence sake)

You just posted 'I don't watch that JUNK'. Well is Badlands junk or great?????

By saying you don't like violent movies, but that you think Badlands is great, indicates you don't think Badlands is a violent movie (or just another violent movie for violence sake type of movie).

But the opinion of Twink and Flyback is that that Badlands is a violent movie.

Of course those two have never seen the movie!

Yes james, I watched BADLANDS.

For starters, I had no way of predicting the violence nor the amount of violence before hand.

It was a great movie in the sense that it was based on a true story. I had never heard of this couple before since this took place before my time. Had it been based on fiction, I would not have watched it.

Just because someone thinks a movie is great and there happens to be violence in it, we are talking about Two different things!

It IS possible to think that a movie in itself is Great and Not like the violence that is in it!

Twink

One always has a way of ascertaining, at least in a general way, how violent a film will be by reading reviews, easily accessible if you have access to the internet (which clearly you do.)

It is not a great movie "because it was based on a true story". It is a great movie, but not because of that.

If "based on a true story" were a criterion for cinematic "greatness", than all kinds of rubbish would be regarded as "great". Why should the fact that a film is based on a true story automatically mean it is "great" ?

And anyway, as I've said here until I'm blue in the face, "BADLANDS" IS NOT MEANT TO BE A FACTUAL OR EVEN FICTIONAL RENDERING OF THE STARKWEATHER CASE. IT IS *LOOSELY BASED* ON THOSE EVENTS AND CHARACTERS, THAT'S ALL.

You must have an exceptionally low tolerance for a film having any kind of violence at all, if you think *Badlands* is excessively violent. As I already took the trouble to say, in some detail, in an earlier post, there is in fact little to no graphic violence in the film, it's all Kit shooting his gun at people. Except for poor Cato, the audience sees very little blood, gunshot wounds, etc.

And none of the so-called violence is gratuitous.

One thing I really like about BADLANDS is the 15 year old girl tells the story, and she really sounds like a 15 year old girl, and what she says sounds like one too. This script is very good.

While it is not a docudrama about the Starkweather case, it is based on that case, but it shows how the killer and his girlfriend think of themselves, which is frightening to me. Something like GUN CRAZY.

And these types of people turn up every couple of months nowdays, all over the country. They are far more common in real life now than they were back in the 1950s. And these types of cross-country killers often come through New Mexico, on their way from Eastern states, out to hide in California. We get two or three cases a year coming through this state. We have two main East/West highways to California.

> Badlands is a great film, one of my favourite films of all time, in fact. And I am, like pretty much everybody else, someone who abhors serial murders and the people who commit them.

>

> This film in no way glorifies or even sympathizes with the Martin Sheen character. And even though the tale is narrated by his girlfriend (flawlessly played by a young and very talented Sissy Spacek), the audience does not see the killings that occur from Kit or even Holly's point of view.

>

> Part of the genius of Badlands is the way it depicts Kit and Holly's actions with no editorial comment whatsoever; it's neither sympathetic nor damning. It simply shows what this young, not particularly bright couple does, leaving the audience to form their own opinions. The film is not asking us to like or identify or sympathize with Kit in any way.

>

> There are many great features about this fine Terence Malick film that no one has as yet mentioned: the cinematography, the deadpan script (nobody who pays attention to the film and its dialogue could think it is asking us to sympathize with the couple), the wonderful soundtrack - Carl Orff's "Street Songs" ("Gassenhauer") - the music's innocent mood so ironically played against the horrors we're seeing on-screen -, - and the wonderful deadpan acting from the two leads.

>

> Anyone who condemns this film because they believe it glorifies killers has either not even seen it, or has watched it but not seen it. It's a great film.

Apart from Fred's opening post, this is one post that's actually on-topic in the thread. We were supposed to be talking about a well-made but fictional movie and 'Badlands' is just that.

My favorite performance is that of Warren Oates as the girl's father. He makes Kit look like a child. Killing the father makes Kit look even more pathetic - which he is. There is nothing in this movie that strikes me as remotely sympathetic about the killers. They come across as just cold and, frankly, stupid directionless miscreants.

Maybe the trick to actually seeing a movie is to not take some agenda into one's viewing to begin with.

Good post, misswonderly.

Fred, what are you talking about? I encourage you to go back and read the post you are so emphatically criticizing. There is not one single insult or "attack" in it.

The closest thing one could perceive as any kind of negative comment at all towards the poster I was addressing was an observation that she must have a very low tolerance for violence in films.

Since she has stated quite proudly that she does dislike movies that feature violence, I hardly see why this is an "insult".

Also, clearly your comment was really addressed to me, since you openly posted it on the thread. If you really just wanted to express that kind of indignation towards me, you would have pm'd Twinkee about my post, and/or addressed your indignation at my rough ways to me, not to her.

And stop using the word "dame". I know you think it makes you sound cool and film noir-ish, but it doesn't, it just makes you sound like you're imitating a way of speaking that went out of fashion over half a century ago.

db, thank you for your comments about *Badlands*, especially the part about Warren Oates. Very insightful, I hadn't thought of the father in that light before.

(I was going to say "thank you for your support", but that elevates the arguers here beyond what they deserve.)

• 5 years later...
On 11/1/2013 at 3:58 PM, FlyBackTransformer said:

> The film tries to engender sympathy for Perry with lines like "I thought that Mr. Clutter was a very fine gentleman...I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat". I can't recall now who that quote was from, Fly, but I know it wasn't you, so calm down. I'm sure who posted this knew Blake's line was a direct quote from Capote's novel. I never looked at it as trying to engender sympathy as much as trying to illuminate the puzzling nature of people like that. And while the movie might have injected some strong "anti-death penalty" sentiment towards the end, I don't recall the novel having done so. But I do think Capote was trying to get his readers to consider the motives behind such action. It's not enough just to dismiss these people as simply "murderous rats" and dispose of them. Capote might have been trying to understand just how they wind up like that. In the BADLANDS case, there seems to be no clear-cut catalyst to Furgate's reason for her behavior. None of the overbearing abuse that some wags try to tie into one's turning out that way. But it doesn't make her less guilty if there was. And certainly, if it's the law of the jurisdiction, the punishment must be given. The reasons people turn out the way they do are as manifold as the people themselves. The best we can do is to deal with it after the fact, as there's no clear cut way to takes steps in prevention. With REAL rats, it's not enough to set traps to catch and kill them. You have to find where they're coming in to stop the invasion. With "murderous rats", there's too many entry points to make it plausible to stop them from coming in. But trying to "plug up" as many as possible MIGHT slow it down a bit.

> Sepiatone

Starkweather took a club and bludgeoned a toddler to death in her playpen. the little girl was crying to loudly and it bothered Mr. Starkweather. Why was the child crying? She had just witnessed Starkweather slaughter her mother. Yeah, I know exactly what Capote and Brooks wanted. No definitive absolutes of what is *Good* and what is *Evil*. Everything should be a grey area. Maybe 9/11 should be a grey area too? *I do not think so.* Before you can call moral absolutes into question you first have to minimize them. Hollywood seems to be very good at that.