Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sad to hear TCM pulls out of The Netherlands...

rrrick

I've just learned that TCM will stop broadcasting in my home country, The Netherlands as of Jan. 1st 2014.

That's sad. I've watched many, many classics on the channel, and although the last years became more and more frustrating because of the limited and erratic schedule, it's just a pity to see them go...

I found this little bit on it

On 1 July 2011 UPC Netherlands removed TCM from its line-up due to "a low appreciation of the channel by its customers."

Turner Broadcasting Systems has confirmed it will cease the dedicated Dutch langauge feed of TCM at the end of the year. Following ?a strategic review? the broadcaster has decided to end TCM for The Netherlands and the Dutch speaking _for of_ (sic) Belgium.

In September 2013 Turner Broadcasting Systems revealed it plans to close down the channel for the Benelux market. The end date is set on 1 January 2014.

I've been frustrated for years with TCM's European activities, subsidiaries, licensees, whatever you want to call them.

I'm sure a lot has to do with territorial rights for which films can be broadcast where by whom, but frankly it resulted in quite a mess. It's a pity to see TCM Netherlands go, but frankly their offerings here were nowhere near the level of e.g. The UK, let alone the U.S. A very limited roster of films, with some films being shown up to 15 times a month, and others only 1 every 5 years. No documentaries, no editorial, nothing.

The channel was basically treated as a bunch of old movies thrown on screen without any thought or any respect.

In all honesty, the frustration goes two ways. There is hardly if at all something like film culture over here. The general public just does not seem to have any interest in cinema as an (historical) art form.

So, even if flawed, TCM was basically the last flicker (pun intended) of classic movies being accessible over here. During the last couple of years I've tried to get in touch with someone, anyone, involved in the Dutch activitities to find out what their policy was, to maybe make suggestions for improving and most important of all for marketing their enormous potential to a wider audience.

Ah well, it was (kind of) fun while it lasted...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings