Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poor Halloween film selections

FlyBackTransformer

Can't say I think a helluva lot of TCM's halloween selections. No, not much. Obviously I can have no objections to Dracula, Prince of Darkness and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, two fine Hammer Chrostopher Lee films but... Castle of the Living Dead with it's laughable freeze-frame special effects. That I do mind. What's the big attraction? Donald Sutherland? Fine, next subject. TCM hasn't shown The Vampire and the Ballerina of late...but what about The Playgirls and the Vampire with Victor Brandi in a dual role as the Count Gabor Karnassy and his vampire ancestor...and some delightful italian babes! TCM doesn't show that...any more than they show Roberto Mauri's minor classic Slaughter of the Vampires with the unforgettably well-endowed Graziella Gramata. Even a mousy house maid in that one who gets vampirized is hot. The TCM slackers for some indiscernable reason are choosing to overlook a lot of good stuff like the Chubasca-Azteca mexican horror flicks imported by K. Gordon Murray. A lot of those mexican horror flicks pay visual homage to the earlier universal films. Does TCM show any of them? No. Why? Somebody has to tell me why.

> Can't say I think a helluva lot of TCM's halloween selections. No, not much. Obviously I can have no objections to Dracula, Prince of Darkness and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, two fine Hammer Chrostopher Lee films but... Castle of the Living Dead with it's laughable freeze-frame special effects. That I do mind. What's the big attraction? Donald Sutherland? Fine, next subject. TCM hasn't shown The Vampire and the Ballerina of late...but what about The Playgirls and the Vampire with Victor Brandi in a dual role as the Count Gabor Karnassy and his vampire ancestor...and some delightful italian babes! TCM doesn't show that...any more than they show Roberto Mauri's minor classic Slaughter of the Vampires with the unforgettably well-endowed Graziella Gramata. Even a mousy house maid in that one who gets vampirized is hot. The TCM slackers for some indiscernable reason are choosing to overlook a lot of good stuff like the Chubasca-Azteca mexican horror flicks imported by K. Gordon Murray. A lot of those mexican horror flicks pay visual homage to the earlier universal films. Does TCM show any of them? No. Why? Somebody has to tell me why.

What I do know is that I find it very difficult personally to appreciate an outfit like TCM who are constantly singing their own praises as these great cinema aficionadoes and yet are choosing to overlook so many good genre offerings.

These 1960s films stink. I didn't watch any of them.

Whatever happened to the classic horror, ghost, and suspense films from the 1930s and 40s?

Whatever happened to the original Dracula? Did all the prints burn up in multiple vault fires?

Metv has shown the 1931 *Dracula* recently and *Frankenstein* is scheduled this Saturday night 10 pm est on "Svengoolie" . TCM did show *Bride Of Frankenstein* and *The Mummy* last Saturday and then there were all of the Vincent Price films this month, etc. Don't they count at all? One film I always wish would get more air time is the 1960 Barbara Steele classic *Black Sunday* , that is one great scary flick.

Edited by: mrroberts on Oct 31, 2013 1:42 PM

OOOoooo! BLACK SUNDAY!

It's reputation was such that when I finally made it to the show to see it, I was scared to death before it came on the screen!

Another scary flick that enjoyed a scary rep back then was PREMATURE BURIAL.

Sepiatone

The real horror was two films in a row from "The National Film Museum." I'm surprised that TCM still does business with them after the debacle of that print of VAMPIRE BAT that had footage from Hitchcock's THE LODGER in there to pad the running time.

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/reply/30200/THE-VAMPIRE-BAT#reply-30200

How they can get away with calling their product line "restored" is beyond me.

Didja ever hear of a heavy metal group called Black Sabbath? :)

Kind of off topic, but it is a little bit scary. FMC showed Summer

of Sam last night in an hour and 51 minutes time slot, including

commercials. The movie is two hours and 22 minutes long. I guess

Fox isn't even pretending anymore. Hilarious.

Yes, the Halloween selections are truly God awful and remind me of the dreck that independent TV stations used to run at 4:30 PM prior to the news coming on. I have barely taped a thing this month between the lousy 60's and 70's films which seem to be on constantly and "The History of Film" which bores me silly. And, while I am on my soapbox, I truly despise that, by and large Vincent Price's SOTM (including the idiotic "Tribute" by John Waters) has put nearly all of the emphasis, not on the many classic films he did in the 40's and 50's, but those near-the-end-of-my-career-I'll-do-anything-to-make-a-buck horror films. We, "get it," TCM. October means Halloween is coming so Vincent Price makes a good choice but did we have to have non-stop Vincent Price tacky (and a few not so tacky) horror films?? The guy did a lot better work.

Lydecker

Warren Zevon!

What a great guy. Did you see that documentary he did on the making of his final album, Finance?

Whenever I hear WOL, I think of one of my favorite character actor of all time...Henry Hull!

He was marvy as the original werewolf and was still in films in the 50's, with that great Kentucky accent.

They should make a horror film based on the Led Zep legend about selling their souls to the so-called devil, just like blues guy Robert Johnson, and then suffering the consequences like Plant's son dying and Bonham croaking.

Maybe Zoso should not have bought Aleister Crowley's house at Loch Ness either and practiced any witchcraft?

> Yes, I agree I think we have all been "horrored to death on TCM" lately. The only film I am interested in today is The Pit and The Pendulum tonight.

I did watch Pit and the Pendulum which is chiefly of interest for when Price has his fun with Barbara Steele. The Haunted Palace is neither clever, scary, mysterious or suspenseful. If you ask me Poe and Lovecraft don't mix well. We learn right off that Joseph Corwin has overtaken Charles Dexter Ward. So he's mad that villagers a hundred and ten years before had a roast at his expense. So Corwin unleashes the beastie in the attic who finishes off Leo Gordon...the badman of so many westerns. Then Corwin flames Elisha Cook Jr. All the while Corwin, Lon Chaney Jr. and some other guy are having some difficulty resurrecting some floozy from Corwin's past. When she finally is revived she just stands around like window dressing while the men do all the nefarious work. The pay-off is Corwin and Chaney Jr. lashing Debra Paget as a sacrifice to a pale green hologram-ish demon who grunts every so often when he's on camera. Beyond that the palace burns down but Corwin is gotten out but Debra Paget and the doc think he's Charles Dexter Ward when he is not therefore The Haunted Palace becomes convoluted....but it was a nice reunion of sorts for Lord Baka (Price) and Lilia the water girl. (paget) Also sat through Masque of the Red Death and set my vcr to record Twice-Told Tales. The first segment Dr. Heidegger's Experiment is rather fun except for the ending when Price sticks his mumblety-peg knife in kindly Mr. French. Price then races out to the tomb only to discover the magic aqua-poola has stopped seeping. If he coulda made himself young again cleaning up the murder scene woulda been a breeze. Carl and him were such good pals. Rappucini's Daughter falls in love but can't touch anybody. Whatever. I suffer through that justa watch Price have a field day in House of the Seven Gables. Just as Rappucini's Daughter slows down the movie a bit so does the deja vu bs between Beverly Garland and Richard Denning but Price saves it. I will continue to wonder how faithful the model of the House of the Seven Gables at least exterior-wise is to the real House of the Seven Gables which still stands proudly in Salem, Massachusetts and open to daily tours. :)

>I did watch Pit and the Pendulum which is chiefly of interest for when Price has his fun with Barbara Steele.

I didn't like this film when I saw it in 1961 at the age of about 19. I think it was the last Price film I ever saw.

I grew up watching mainly monster films, so I didn't have to worry about any real monsters, but a crazy guy like what Price played so often, I saw many of that type of person on the evening news, as killers and mass murderers. I certainly wasn't "entertained" by watching films about these kinds of guys.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings