Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FlyBackTransformer

Poor Halloween film selections

For me, the best part of the earlier Poe films was seeing what Floyd Crosby could do with a short schedule and limited funds. He actually managed to make Daniel Haller's cramped studio sets look spacious. To appreciate the work of a master, check out the second-rate TWICE TOLD TALES with its long takes with actors centered on the screen swapping dialogue. It's as if the whole film is done as a master shot, there's very little cross-cutting.

But Price's whining ninny in USHER and PIT gets tiring, and when John Kerr was being tortured, I was rooting for the pendulum. TALES OF TERROR works well as it's got three stories, so they're not padding Poe's limited prose to fit feature length.

MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH is for me the most polished, but then Corman had a bigger budget and five whole weeks as opposed to the 14-17 day shooting schedules of the earlier films.

> From just seeing the last part, I thought that THE PIT was the pits.

Yeah, like clore said at times Price could be whiny when sympathetic. A better treatment of that Poe story is Christopher Lee as Frederick Count Regula in *Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism*....one of the many horror genre films that TCM passes on. :)

I love the month of October on TCM and look forward to it each year. All in all some good films peppered among some not so good films. I will agree Halloween night was not a great line up. Last year, with many of the Universal Horror films from the 30's and 40's , was much better.

As to Dracula, it is a shame it is not shown on TCM. For several years it could be found on AMC ( with the "new" Phillip Glass score ) and before that I saw it a time or two on the SyFy channel. But the past couple of years neither channel has shown it. I own it on Blu-ray so I just pop that in when I want to see it. It is a shame though that it has not been showcased on TCM so anyone who wants to see it, can see it.

>They should make a horror film based on the Led Zep legend about selling their souls to the so-called devil, just like blues guy Robert Johnson, and then suffering the consequences like Plant's son dying and Bonham croaking.

You dont really believe in that hocus pocus the rock media has spoon fed us thru the years to mythologize those buzzards? at least Bob did his own self mythologizing in his songs, he didnt need the Lester Bangs & Dave Marsh's of the world.

I thought THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM was a vehicle for CARL REINER and LISA LEMPANELLI ;)

Sepiatone

Just a quick reminder for those still in the Halloween spirit, tonight at 10pm est on Metv *Frankenstein* !

Edited by: mrroberts on Nov 2, 2013 4:02 PM

Anyone who has seen the non-concert parts of The Song Remains

the Same will realize that Zep has already made a scary movie.

I'd take all the hoodoo surrounding Led Zeppelin with a large grain of

salt. The only connection with Lucifer might be Bonzo's over consumption

of "demon rum."

One of the things I recall about Dave Marsh is his near obsessive

dislike of the Grateful Dead and their music. Chill with some ripple,

dude.

A grain of salt was all one could do with all that crapola. To this day I contend that the only thing rock music had to do with the devil was the audience fascination with the symbolism. Names like BLACK SABBATH and KING CRIMSON had more of a connect with "anti-establishment" attitude than actual devil worship.

Of course, there were those few who DID get into that stuff too seriously, but I don't think it was ever the artist's intent. All they wanted was to sell recordings. The idea that the band name and any referrence to Satan and devil worship probably **** off the parents probably ramped up the appeal.

I couldn't begin to guess the number of turntable stylus' and vinyl LPs that got screwed up in an effort to hear the secret "message from Satan" we were supposed to get from playing certain LPs backwards. Now that everything is either CD or MP3, Satan must be at a loss as to how to communicate.

Sepiatone

Whether Black Sabbath were just looking for a gimmick or actually

had some interest in the supernatural, I don't know. I've read that they

took their name from the movie of the same name. Anyhow, the first

Sabbath album is pretty good and has a certain sustained spooky

atmosphere. I've never thought of King Crimson as having any connec-

tion with the lord of the flies. It sounds like another of those rather

nonsensical names that groups come up with.

When I said the non-concert parts of the Led Zep movie were scary,

I meant they were scarily bad, just to make that clear. The only folks

who might have haunted Zep were the blues artists who they

sometimes ripped off in their early days.

He did write books about Brucie and had good things to say about him,

which might have helped some. Marsh's wife was also one of Spring-

steen's managers. That couldn't have hurt. Jon Landau was the one

who came up with the famous phrase about Bruce being the future

of rock and roll back in the mid 1970s. Though Brucie was on his way,

it turned out that new wave and punk were the immediate future of

rock.

And now we've highjacked yet another thread with a discussion of something entirely different.

In that spirit, I'll add that I remember all the talk about "The Boss"(huh!) being "the future of rock music". I like to look back on that kind of stuff retrospectively.

Remeber that lame-o tune "Rock On" by David Essex?

There was talk back then that Essex would be the next "biggest star" of rock music.

When the song faded from the radio, Essex faded with it.

If there WERE anything supernatural in rock music, clairvoiance certainly wasn't included.

Sepiatone

I'll take it back to the original topic.

And I want to complain about the complainers here. TCM scheduled Vincent Price movies during an all-too-appropriate month, October, and aired a good number of movies that haven't been on the channel in a long, long time, if ever. The final night's line-up of his 60's films was as good an idea for Halloween night as any from the past, such as featuring Hammer films.

I have no problem with people's urging that other films/genres be given attention in the future -- I'd like to see some of the titles suggested in this thread myself -- but there's an ongoing negative gripe-a-thon about TCM in so many of these threads that just gets ridiculous after awhile.

>but there's an ongoing negative gripe-a-thon about TCM in so many of these threads that just gets ridiculous after awhile.

The problem is, TCM's programming direction now is not the same as it was when many of us first signed up to pay for this service, back in 1994-95, when movies made in the 1930s and 40s were much more common then than they are today.

We did not sign up for Hammer films of the 1960s. We did not sign up for films of the 1970s or 80s.Those films are available on other pay-TV channels.

-----------------------------

Several of us have made suggestions about how TCM could handle the situation to please all of its audience demographics, such as by alternating films over each 24 hour period, such as old, new, newer, old, new, newer, old, new, newer, etc.

That way, we would all have at least two or three films a day that fit into our favorite category. But non-stop 24 hours of 1960s films that feature only one actor and one decade doesn't seem to satisfy anyone.

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Nov 4, 2013 11:04 AM

Inside every fat thread is a skinny hijacked one struggling to get out.

Yes, there have been scores of one or two hit wonders who people

thought were the next big thing. Gary Glitter, anyone? It's hard to

keep relevant in pop music. Even bands that start out strong usually

fade over time, at least as far as sales go. You can track them through

the years from multi-platinum to platinum to gold to.....

I remember as a kid a friend's mother had the courage to take

us to a drive-in to see a triple bill of Vinny's Corman/Poe movies.

That woman must have had a slight masochistic streak. Looking at

them as an adult, they're nothing very special and aren't very scary.

> but there's an ongoing negative gripe-a-thon about TCM in so many of these threads that just gets ridiculous after awhile.

The problem is, TCM's programming direction now is not the same as it was when many of us first signed up to pay for this service, back in 1994-95, when movies made in the 1930s and 40s were much more common then than they are today.

> We did not sign up for Hammer films of the 1960s. We did not sign up for films of the 1970s or 80s.Those films are available on other pay-TV channels.

> Several of us have made suggestions about how TCM could handle the situation to please all of its audience demographics, such as by alternating films over each 24 hour period, such as old, new, newer, old, new, newer, old, new, newer, etc.

That way, we would all have at least two or three films a day that fit into our favorite category. But non-stop 24 hours of 1960s films that feature only one actor and one decade doesn't seem to satisfy anyone.

*TCM has lost it's way*.

> I want to complain about the complainers here

Complaining is a large component of message board activity here at TCM.

I've seen complaints about repeats, complaints about Halloween programming, complaints about Christmas programming, complaints about "too new" movies, complaints about prime time scheduling, complaints about cheap 'Underground' selections, complaints about silents being shown, complaints about movies starting and ending a few minutes too early or late, complaints about February's 30 days of Oscar programming, complaints about Summer Under the Stars programming, complaints about an actor from the 70's being included for one day of SUTS, complaints about too many foreign films, complaints about hosts and hostesses, complaints about Ben's political leanings, complaints about Ben's wardrobe, complaints about actors' birthdays not being honoured, complaints about nudity late at night, complaints about viewpoints expressed in special documentary features, complaints about what people express on the message boards, complaints about off-topicing, complaints about "thread hijacking".

I'm sure I've missed some. My point is ....... hmm, don't really have one. It was just fun listing them.

My complaint is that many of the complainers don't remember their own complaints and contradict a prior complaint in their future complaints.

>.. complaints about nudity late at night..

I'd like to go on record as complaining about no nudity late at night.

Badump-bump-tsss :P