Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How About The Most Annoying Character?

The saddest character thread made me think of who would be the most irksome, annoying character.You know, the one who makes you just want to twist their neck? Mine would be Dan Duryea as the nephew Leo in The Little Foxes. He was such a whining weasle! I can't stand that guy! So, who would yours be?

it has got to be that man named Mr. Muckle in the W.C. Fields' movie, "It's a Gift".

He plays the nearly blind and deaf man, who Fields has to wait on in his grocery store, and who destroys the displays with his cane. His real name was Charles Sellon, and he also was in a Shirley Temple film as a cantankerous old man as I recall.

His scenes with Fields, are hilarious...but you just want to kill him, as he wanders through the store wrecking the place, and ignoring pleas from Fields. I think I remember Mr. Muckle knocking down a whole display of light bulbs. This was way worse than Mister Magoo, since Mr. Muckle is very unlikable and annoying.

I agree with those posted but I just happened to remember "The Weinie King" in Palm Beach Story. He wasn't unlikable but that movie was kind of confusing and he was kind of just there for no purpose other than to give Colbert's character money. But Sturgis gave the man a lot of lines and a couple of scenes that to me didn't quite fit.

Hi People! I know you all are into a most annoying character but I just had to get this one off my mind: allthe little spoiled brats in movies whose mothers' would say, "now, now darling..." and do NOTHING else to the brats at all. That irked me to no end-still does.

I am finding it cute that you are arguing over the Weinie King. I bet Preston Sturges would put this discussion over the Weinie King in one of his films, if he was still around!

I always enjoy the Wienie King in that movie, and get a kick out of Robert Dudley's performance. It was Dudley and not Vallee, but Vallee was rather annoying in that film too so one can understand the confusion.

I only mean that Vallee as his character was annoying, and on purpose, because I found his performance totally amusing and think it made the movie! Being that Vallee was more famous as a crooner and heartthrob for the college female set, and a rather serious singer with a megaphone during the 1920's, his comic performances in films were revelatory of his ability to make fun of himself.

I always bring up the Wienie King in discussions about The Palm Beach Story but no one ever wants to talk about him, so this has made my day. I'm sure Robert Dudley has not been talked about this much, since the movie came out, so thanks for the fun discussion!

In the movie Adam's Rib when they were all watching home movies at The Bonner's home and their friend Kip was heckling during the films... I found him so annoying.

Jalanna

fuster--I'm here to entertain, what can I say.

After thinking about this topic some more I'm going to mention a couple of performances that really, really irritate me to no end. And I'll probably get slammed for them because they are performances that people (besides me) usually love.

1) I can not stand Katherine Hepburn's character in Bringing Up Baby. To me it's her most annoying performance ever. I like her better in dramas.

2) Both Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. God almighty do I hate this movie and their characters. The only redeeming thing for me in the movie is the supporting couple of Carrie Fisher & Bruno Kirby. It actually affected the way I feel about these people personally. You'll have to go back in the posts to find out why I hate this movie but there you go.

that you have the strength of character to admit publically that you don't like Meg Ryan, being that she is "America's Sweetheart" or so I'm told.

It seems to me that a few years back, a couple of actresses who were equally famous to Ryan, made some cracks about her relying on schtick in films, and not having much discernible real talent...in similarity to what you've said. Non-happy talk can provoke "slamming" though, but since directing great, Norman Jewison has now recently come out and said he thinks Madonna has little talent...you are in good company in voicing your views, and have a perfect right.

Trust me on this...one can get in a lot of trouble saying such things, a word to the wise! I was told I reminded someone of Meg Ryan, and well...I had to get out my Syrup of Ipecac. But I digress...

Bruno Kirby is funny in that film, just like he was in the Spinal Tap movie and I like him almost as much as I like Bud Cort, of "Harold and Maude" fame.

I see nothing wrong with saying who annoys you, but I do think one must decide if the part is supposed to be annoying inherently in the script, so the actor/actress is just doing their job, OR...if the person is annoying in pretty much every film they do.

Would you prefer someone else playing Hepburn's part opposite Grant, and who would you have chosen...among the women of that time? I'm thinking...perhaps Carole Lombard or Stanwyck or Jean Arthur or....?

fuster--I don't really have strength of character so much as a stubborn streak about some things.

As far as Bringing Up Baby, this thread is about annoying characters and I found her annoying because I know she was really smart and it hurts my feelings to see her play a ditz. You mention Lombard and it seems she played that character a lot so maybe she'd have been better but I'm not a fan primarily because of her appearance in My Man Godfrey. I couldn't understand why William Powell's character would fall for someone so stupid (well, I guess she kind of chased him.) I recently watched her in Twentieth Century with John Barrymore and while I loved his OTT performance, she really started to grate after about an hour.

I did enjoy Stanwyck in The Mad Miss Manton, where she played a sort of spoiled rich girl with an eccentric streak, so maybe she could have played Hepburn's part, although for some reason I can't see paired up with Cary Grant. I love Stanwyck so I'm a little prejudice.

JDHALE57- Dude Lester in Tobacco Road- man I forgot about that ( or almost, darn, wish I could). I had to watch that movie in High School for a class- and I never watched it again baceause I COULD NOT STAND the character! I just wanted to knock him down!! I suffer no fools, and man was he a fool. I know it is just acting. I know he was doing a great job playing a fool, that was the point, but it doesn't mean I have to watch it if I just find it grating. Some of the performances mentioned I can totally see the point of annoyance!