Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Matthew Broderick Intro

Mr. Broderick,

That was an absolutely awesome introduction to "His Girl Friday".

A movie that I'm sure most folks find a joy to watch. It's even more of a joy to watch after your great intro. Thank you so very much for taking some of your time to do that. I love all your movies too.

Tiki again as most times completly agree with you :) Matthew Broderick is adorable. A terrific actor. Whether it's comedy or drama always a pleasure to watch him. In *Family Business* he was outstanding, and his 2 co-stars were Dustin Hoffman and Sean Connery and he more than held up his end as the son and grandson caught between the two. He's also great in his comedic performances, he was hilarious in the film *Election* . It was a Wonderful choice having him introduce his favorite screwball comedies. Love this guy.

But Broderick on TCM last night didn't look like that wax statue. He had Harold Lloyd-style glasses (at least for the first intro; I didn't watch the others) and a really bad hairdo. I thought he also came across as a bit stiff.

Broderick was kind of stiff in his intro but I sure like some of his movies such as the "Glory" and "Ferris Bueler's Day Off". Love the way he talks into the camera and audience in Ferris Bueler. I find that a hilarious movie.

I first became aware of Broderick from WAR GAMES, and thought he was OK in that, but not TOO impressive. The second thing I saw him in was a PBS presentation of the play MASTER HAROLD AND THE BOYS. Sure impressed me then! So, there IS more to this kid, I thought, and enjoyed several other efforts from him over the years.

And, feeling like a dunce, I recently learned he is the son of one of my favorite actors, the late JAMES BRODERICK. For some reason, I never put it together. Probably because Dad died before Matthew's career had begun.

So he comes from good stock, too.

Sepiatone

I think he was very good, well dressed, and interesting to watch and listen to.

It is good to have a variety of people like this introduce films from time to time, especially younger looking people introducing older films.

I enjoyed last night's intros by Mr. Broderick. He has been a long time supporter of classic movies as he has mentioned many in the interviews I have read.

I found his low key and dry approach a welcomed contrast to the zany madcap movies he was presenting. I loved when he compared "My Man Godfrey" to his own life with mansions, millionaires and servants, very tongue in cheek.

I am looking forward to next Friday. I will also say I don't remember seeing him so fit in many years. One suggestion I have is the they should shoot the intros in a room with furniture in it. Perhaps a chair he could sit in to make it a bit less uncomfortable for him.

I didn't get to see his intros but Broderick has a very dry sense of humor. He's great on talk shows for that reason.

For the record, Dobbs, he's been around for years and must be close to 50 years old. Just checked--he's 51 years old. Not what I'd call "a younger person." Unless you buy into that 50 is the new 30 bs.

> Unless you buy into that 50 is the new 30 bs.

Well, I'M 62, and sometimes I feel it's the new 80! ;)

There are people who are smooth, skilled and slick when doing their jobs as actors and actresses, but do lousy at face to face television work.

There used to be a husband and wife team of local talk show hosts, John Kelly and Marylin Turner, well known in these parts as a popular news anchor and "weather girl" respectively. John mentioned once that actor Eliot Gould was his worst interview, as he wasn't very "giving" in his answers to questions. Would just sit there saying a simple "yes" or "no" and not elaborating. I've heard others say that Robert DeNiro was pretty much a stiff on talk shows.

Could be something about doing that sort of thing that some people never get comfortable while doing, while others take to it like a duck takes to water.

I haven't seen the Broderick intros, but until I'm planked in the chair across from RO and do a better job than Matthew, I feel it intingent of me to withold any judgement.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Nov 3, 2013 10:02 AM

>I haven't seen the Broderick intros, but until I'm planked in the chair across from RO and do a better job than Matthew, I feel it intingent of me to withold any judgement.

Well, Matthew did these intros by himself. He was standing in front of a blank background, Maybe if he were chatting with RO, he may have come across as more engaged.

You're correct that Broderick is known for his dry and low key sense of humor. This is why I felt he was putting on an act at the start because he was really, really low key and the topic was screwball comedies. So I felt he was setting us up and than he was going to get all "screwbally" on us. i.e. a complete change of tempo. But that never came.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I guess it once again just goes to show ya that "name recognition" has and will continue to open many a TCM door for some of their presenters, and when in fact delivering information in an entertaining and remotely enthusiastic manner directly to the camera is NOT their forte.

(...and so it goes)

I only saw his intro and outro for *Easy Living*. He read accurately from the teleprompter, but had no emotion or expression. I hope he did better on the other intros. If Illeana Douglas hit a home run with Second Looks, Broderick struck out without the bat ever leaving his shoulder.

So who is the more real Broderick: the dry, emotionless, staid, dull-as-a-board TCM intro person or the utterly ebullient Ferris Bueller of yesteryear? or are both just acting jobs? or are both neither like the real him? Rather hard looking and listening to him now and thinking he once played Ferris B.

While I appreciate the idea of having at least someone intelligent to introduce movies (not the guy from Saturday Night Live), Matthew Broderick was the most boring person who I've ever seen present a movie - and maybe anything else - in a very long time. Wow for all of his charm and charisma, I would have fallen asleep if I'd had to watch his intro for any longer than it already took. In fact, I couldn't wait for him to stop talking and just start the movie. Please, do not have him present in this format again. Having someone as dry as a piece of toast to introduce screwball comedies was somehow upside down.

mr6666--- I could definitely see some hint in that clip of Ferris Bueller but not much. Guess the TCM intro Broderick is pretty much the real McCoy. TCM needs somebody a whole lot unstiffer to usher in zany madcap comedies of yesteryear.