Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jerry Goldsmith's score to Star Trek The Motion Picture

FlyBackTransformer

> I have the original soundtrack LP, very much got use to it. Title music is used in TNG. The music for "V'Ger" is odd though.

> The worst mistake in the movie were the uniforms. The cast hated them.

The big mistake was in visually re-imagining the whole deal. It was not necessary although some minor set changes would have been in order to suggest passage of time since the series' 3rd season. The uniform material looks satin-ish. Classic star trek is dead..as dead as James T. Kirk is under that pile of rocks on the surface of Veridian 3....courtesy of the paramount geniuses. When you kill a TV legend, paramount doesn't fool around. :)

I'm just glad that movie didn't start a trend of women shaving their heads, ala PERSIS KEMBATTA. I mean, it looked good on( or off?) her, but too many people who SHOULDN'T get into the latest "fashion" usually are the first to gravitate towards it.

Sepiatone

I have posted this link before in a different thread about Star Trek The Motion Picture, but I feel it is relevant for this thread as well.

The link I am providing is a beautifully recreated video done by HIKE that shows the fly around of the Enterprise originally done with Scotty and Kirk, but in this video the entire original crew is shown flying around the ship.

The next scene is the famous Leaving the Drydock scene. This starts at the 6:07 mark, followed by what I consider the best rendition of the sunrise which starts at 8:09.

I don't really like any of the 1980s star trek theatrical films. They are mainly watchable for their visualcality. From the start they disregarded too much continuity with the old TV series. All they really needed to do was update some of the sets but no, they got far too creative and screwed up the whole deal. The '79 film was a mess. The 2nd film coulda been better without the genesis crap and just kept it a simple revenge story. They had Chekov realizing that they've inadvertently beamed down to Khan's planet...not withstanding the fact that the Chekov character didn't show up till the beginning of the 2nd season and "space seed" was a 1st year episode. Absolutely brilliant! But real Trekkers had asked themselves ever since just what was the point of bringing Ricardo Montalban on board to reprise Khan and yet have no direct physical confrontation between him and Kirk in the movie??? Instead all there is is a short exchange between Shatner and Montalban over the radio...but then in star trek III we get a lame almost obligatory altercation between Kirk and Kruge. (Christopher Lloyd) Then after that we're treated to Star Trek visits Sea World followed by Sybok of Arabia followed by the sixth film The Fall of the Klingon Empire. The reason the films were not more successful was they disregarded continuity far too much. A Khan revenge story shoulda been the story for the first film instead of that vger crapola. Paramount screwed the pooch from the start by taking their sweet time bringing star trek back in the first place. They knew star trek had been immensely popular since it hit syndication but they chose to pussyfoot around for too many years. Now if guys like Bob Justman coulda been involved in the first film's production we might have ended up with better then we got. But of course it is now just all spilled saurian brandy under the bridge. Thank you paramount for destroying a wonderful TV legend. The Veridian 3-bound ghost of James T. Kirk thanks you also. :)

> Uh-oh....

> Sounds like somebody's been hitting the Romulan ale.

> Sepiatone

Yes, I rambled a bit but my points are all correct. Paramount decided to put the original series cast out to pasture with the sixth film. "*But is that the end of their beneficence? Why Nooo" -Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)* They then choose to spit right in the face of the original fan base by killing off William Shatner as James T. Kirk (whom every legitimate trekker knows was the guts of the original series) on screen in the infamous Star Trek Generations. And today Paramount wanders what they have been doing wrong with the star trek franchise??? How about **** on the TV generation that kept the thing goin' after NBC's 1969 cancellation. Paramount wants the older fans back? Give us Bill Shatner one more time as Kirk in some format (cgi or audio) and we might consider it. Until then paramount can stick a thrall's 3-hooked grappling pole where the trinary sun don't shine. :) vintage Shatner as Kirk. Lets see Chris Pine do this.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings